Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
Hi!

Thanks for your comment, you asked me for advice on imaginative drawing. Don´t know if this is of any help, I am far from being a master :) :
Balance studies and imaginary works on a daily base (I, for myself, do too much imaginary stuff, because I find it liberating and quite creative to just shoot and draw...)
Try to enhance thinking in 3D and about the construction of things. Try to visualize objects with closed eyes and turn them in your mind in 3D space. If you can do that, draw it.
Practice proportions a lot and you will soon be able to "feel" if you´re doing it right on imaginative work.
Build a visual library of things, anatomy, etc. by mostly drawing stuff you see (it´s best to draw from life as you learn how things look and how you can transfer 3D into 2D), but also constantly observe everything around you and try to memorize as much as you can.

Proportion, perspective, form and formchange (that is value change) are the most basic things. If you know how to handle that, you can draw anything from your mind (reference still helps, because you cannot possibly know how everything looks like). Focus your studies on those subjects.

Here´s how my workflow goes when drawing, for example, a character:
- Lightly sketch the basic gesture/pose and correct proportions/anatomy till it seems right to you. Don´t put any hard lines on paper till you´re absulutely sure everything is correct (there are always issues, but you´ll learn from that :)
- Once the foundation is done, everything else simply falls into places. Try to evolve a story in your head about what you draw. E.g. my character is a female pirate so she has to have a piratey outfit. Is she a captain, a simple sailor? Of noble birth? Maybe she is a stealthy kind of pirate, so include a nice blade for backstabbing and some throwing daggers. No one else needs to know the story, but it really helps.
- I just go from part to part in the drawing and add stuff that enhances my story (Facial feature to complement the character, expression, designing the clothing,...)
- Add nice details like jewelry, pockets on the clothing, ornaments, etc. and it´s done.

Hope that helps in some way. Keep up drawing and do it constantly and things will just develop almost by itself :)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Elderscroller - 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Sean McCLain - 10-18-2014, 03:33 AM