Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
Stephany, I do actually know about how light works surprisingly. I just dont apply it very well out of laziness and just not having done enough value studies. Plus im struggling to get a handle on using paint. I could see why it would look like I dont know. Usually I spend all my energy just trying to get my paints mixed to the right value and fixing the drawing mistakes. By the end of it Im too gassed to add reflective light and fix my edges. This month is going to be my month of painting so expect to see me struggling a lot more with all this.

The same thing kinda goes with my line work. A lot of the time its just laziness. I do a lot of quick studies of objects just to learn the forms so I can draw it from different angles. So I dont bother making the lines thicker to show form since the drawing is just for my own understanding. I try to focus of line quality when I do my nicer sketches in my toned sketchbook. Im definitely not a pro at it of course and should spend more time on my drawings to work that out. Thanks for your feed back. Those are my weak spots for sure, no denying it.

As for what constructicon and you said about pencils. I dont really like using graphite for finished drawings anymore. I usually only use it for a rough lay in and go over in pen or just skip it and start in pen. And for charcoals I use a fairly soft pencil and use a light touch for the lay in lines. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Heres a quick sketch from imagination to warm up. Tried to pay more attention to line quality. Some figures and last nights life drawing session. It was painting night so I broke out the gouache. I didnt quite get to bring it to a finish that i liked but it was a good practice. Took about 2 hours on it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Sean McCLain - 10-18-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Adam Lina - 03-05-2015, 04:17 AM