Sketchbook & Progess Log - The journey is the reward!
These watercolours are really clear and controlled - the lines look fluid and smooth, and the shape control is pleasingly economic. The lighting on the ACEO looks really nice as well, good as a colour choice and it is a bit more interesting to have a clear time of day I think.

I definitely agree with getting back to mediums you like for a creative boost - it is good practise, and the skills you get in watercolour will transfer over to digital to a degree too.

I'm not saying this as a pro or anything, but from looking at what studios seem to want, and listening to interviews/lectures, this is what I have found. When it comes to concept art for games and film, the industry is indeed pretty much digital. It is mainly for the sake of speed and workflow. Animated films sometimes seem to have occasional exceptions though, since it is highly variable in style.

But other areas are much more flexible - tonnes of illustrators work traditionally still (I still see card art, book covers, etc. being done in oils, and illustration in watercolours is still around all over the place), or blend traditional with digital. So you can totally get work with watercolours, though perhaps not too easily in concept work. I won't say never though, if the style of a project called for it, for instance. So maybe consider going the route of what you enjoy, and finding the jobs to fit it? There could be some kind of niche you like.

Oh, and also, one thing I suggest is to try experimenting with blending watercolours with digital - if you could get a workflow for it, you would basically have the best of both worlds. I sort of agree with continuing with digital, because you might come to like it as it becomes easier for you. (I used to loathe drawing faces, and had to knuckle down on it - now they're one of my favourite things to draw.) Good luck, and keep painting! Give yourself some time to do the arty things you love most.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sketchbook & Progess Log - The journey is the reward! - by clockodile - 07-27-2014, 08:07 AM