Nick Cato Portfolio
Thanks for the crits jj and monkey!

I really didnt notice the leg problem until now :( and about the stiffness. do you mean the figures are oddly stiff for concept art? Most of the concept art i see are usually idle figures or in a walk frame. should i do mre active poses even though im just trying to show off design?

That leads me to design which i know i suck at but most of the time when i transfer my sketchbook thumbs into digital to clean up and add anatomy, it gets really tame and the design isnt as striking as tge original im trying to fix that lol

@monkeybread by cutout you mean the hard line right? I was trying to go for something stylistic with images like the purple demon dude or the black guy in the yellow coat but now that you mention it looks more like a volume rendering problem instead of something purposely done it does look a little stupid haha

Im just a little confused as to what i should be shooting for with my portfolio overall. So to get a smal game studio gig i should show that i can do anything from assets to splash screens but to get a big studio gig i should show that i can do one thing extremely well. The pros i hear saying this always say you dont want to confuse the clients with too many things but i dont see why if a character concept artist put some prop designs in his portfolio would be seen as a bad thing. i see feng zhus students work and they are showcasing everything from characters to vehicles. why do pros tell others to specialize? Are they saying that if a fzd student wanted to freelance he couldnt get work because his portfolio is all over the place? Artist tell beginners you just have to be better than the 2nd to the worst to get in but that makes no sense to me because if your skillset is that low how would you get seen?

Theres seems to be no middle ground between the quality of work and thhe jobs you get. its almost like you have to be at an applibot level to get odd deviant art jobs :/ and what bothers me is that you can rarely just jump to applibot gigs even though you could be doing them. im not by any means saying im half as god as applibot illustrators, but theres a huge grey area im in now where im seeing artist as good as me or lower getting commissions and artists on a daarken level charging $50 bucks an images as if their skill set inst enough to live off. im just gonna come out and say im shooting for a starter level so i can afford to level up (spending more time painting than working). but my what im trting to ask here is where is that starting level??? Do you guys get regular work if you dont mind me asking? Where is that quality line froor a client to say " i can pay a $100 for that" to saying " thats worth $500 or $1400" or is there even a line? Does ever thing has to be a rigney carbon copy before you get jobs to live off of and just hope you get lucky enough to find a client who knows exactly what youre worth at your current skill level?

Messages In This Thread
Nick Cato Portfolio - by futurespaceghost - 02-21-2014, 04:37 AM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Jonas Jerde - 02-21-2014, 05:30 AM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 02-21-2014, 10:40 AM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by futurespaceghost - 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Jonas Jerde - 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 02-21-2014, 06:09 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Jonas Jerde - 02-21-2014, 06:48 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 02-21-2014, 08:55 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Jonas Jerde - 02-22-2014, 07:02 AM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 02-22-2014, 08:19 AM