How to Draw (Robertson's book) study thread
(04-17-2014, 02:11 AM)Hobitt Wrote: Yeah also had a problem with that one keep doing it until it becomes natural + i guess it is meant to be cleaned up with an ellipse guide.

(03-11-2015, 03:43 PM)Jorch Wrote:
(04-11-2014, 07:07 PM)SamPeterson Wrote: I'm a bit stuck with one of the concepts if anyone can help me. On page 74 how are you supposed to know where to correctly place the minor axis without knowing where the perfect center of the ellipse or square is ahead of time? It doesn't seem like there is enough information to correctly plant the minor axis. It's possible to find the center vertically by making any size rectangle and finding the center of that, but that doesn't show you the horizontal placement. If the minor axis is placed incorrectly it'd make a warped circle that isn't proportioned correctly, and wouldn't result in a proper cube. And without knowing where to plant the minor axis I can't do the exercise or the following ones that require you to know how to create a cube using ellipses. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Hi Sam,

I'm also learning from this and the way I think about placing the minor axis is that it would be pointing to the opposite vanishing point. With this in mind you place guides/lines to the correct VP and use those as a guide to place the ellipse constraining to it's minor axis direction.

I made this images kind of a tut of how I go about it. Hope it's helpful :")

Many thanks for these images, I was struggling with this part for the longest time, still not fully understood it but you explained much better than they did in the book, really appreciate it. 

Has everyone abandoned the book? I am starting to study from it so would be nice to revive this study group if you are still on perspective!

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to Draw (Robertson's book) study thread - by tbnkaron - 09-05-2015, 08:21 PM
RE: How to Draw (Robertson's book) study thread - by iReddog - 04-19-2015, 09:40 AM
RE: How to Draw (Robertson's book) study thread - by iReddog - 04-22-2015, 03:59 AM