tbnkaron's sketchbook

Hi all, 
Super long time lurker, I have recently decided to open a sketchbook so I can improve at the things I love, mainly drawing and painting. I have attached a selection of older and newer sketches and studies and hope to keep this sketchbook updated regularly.

Attached Files Image(s)

The first is a 5 min pose, the rest are 2 minute gestures, all from life.

Wow, those last gestures are pretty amazing. IF you ask me, you should focus a bit on construction, like that vehicle thingy you did, basically hard edges, because that will help you at, for example, placement of the eyes

Walent, many thanks for your pointers, you dead on about construction, I definitely need to get more focused on that, its all about being patient with the process I guess, cheers pal. 

Below is a study I did of one of big boss Sargent portraits, it was very challenging and I know I have a tendency to noodle about on the details so tried to be as general with the mark making as I could and study the planes instead of getting too caught up on details. 

The second one is from life, I can now see its a little all over the place, the model was quite well built which is rare for female models so got a little too excited on the anatomy and ended up with her looking like a man  Meh

Mariyan-Hristov, thanks for the warm welcomes and kind words, I am fighting the good fight against perspective, How to Draw is a great book to follow. Really love your perspective work too!

Sketchbook dump  Stupid

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice start to your sketchbook :) the gesture/figure drawings here are awesome, I've been trying to improve in that area myself, so it's really cool seeing others on that grind :) keep it up man!
SeanDraws, thanks for your kind words and the warm welcome, the grind goes on! 

From life drawing yesterday, these are mostly 2 minute gestures except for the last two, one being a ten minute pose that I split into two attempts after butchering the first one. The last one is a 20 minute effort, I tried something new which was to turn the model's face sideways, she was facing me and I thought the angle was a little unflattering so thought I would go yolo with it :D

Attached Files Image(s)

you got some nice use of line here, really like the way your drawings flow.

cool to see so much life drawing happening here.

Lurch, thanks for passing by. I am trying to push the life drawing atm and hoping it would get my digital working a little better.

A mixture of quick 2 min gestures and 20 min poses, all from life.  Stupid

Attached Files Image(s)

More life drawing from the last couple of days, the first 4 are 2 min as usual whereas the fifth is 15 min and last is one hour, all from life. I am trying to improve my understanding of the ribcage so doing lots of studies from books then drawing from life.

Attached Files Image(s)

Had a chance to do a longer pose and managed to try to document the development of the drawing, something I never do and through looking at the first photo I immediately noticed some proportion issues that I tried to fix in subsequent phases of the drawing.

A couple of warm up 2 minutes poses then trying my hands on oils for this one. I felt a little rushed as I had only about 20 minutes for the oils after taking my sweet time drawing on the board, which was a shame as I think in trying to cover as much space it ended up a little too flat. 

These are lookin great, keep it up. Hopefully we can see some application to these studies as well soon?
Dennis Kutsenko, thanks for passing by, yep the plan is to do some application when I figure what the hell is going on eventually  Tongue

Two oil studies from life and a couple of two minute gestures for today. 

May 2016 be great for all of our artistic goals  Mean smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Soo nice linework, your lines are so fluid and dynamic, love that! I would like to see some more perspective and construction work from you. Keep going!

Miracoly, thanks for your kind words, I really need to get back on the perspective and structure, I have abandoned the Scott Robertson book in frustration over the last couple of months and one of the things I plan to do is get back to study it. 

Did a portrait study after coming back from second viewing, needless to say loved the film  Stupid

[Image: tfizeHt.jpg]

[attachment=78759]

Really digging your sketchbook so far, lots of inspiration, and those gestures? Damn!

I'd love to know how do you approach rendering, I really like the way you do it but I don't understand it!
Like with the female face you did here: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...?aid=76125
How do you use pencils in that? I know I'm missing some fundamentals over here, but that's just how I'd like to to render things out in pencil!

Please let me know! Keep up the awesome works :)

Alco, many thanks for the kind words, really appreciate it! 

About the pencil rendering, I guess what I was trying to do in the example you mentioned was to go with the form. Meaning your strokes are running along the topology of the face (it does not matter which direction provided its all consistent). And here is where the example you brought up falls short because its lazy, you will notice some inconsistencies so please ignore. A somewhat clear example is the turn from under the eye socket onto the cheeks, notice how it changes direction. Hope that helps! 

Did two quick studies this morning.  Stupid

Attached Files Image(s)

A little more figure studying, first two in oils from life, one of which I had an earlier stab at posted above. Third image is a mixture of referenced and freestyle studies. 

Its Friday already  Thinking

Attached Files Image(s)