Kir's Sketch Book
So I'm not entirely sure how this sketchbook works but I guess I can just start posting my work ^^.

Aspiring visual development artist for Nintendo!

Constructive criticism and opinions are always appreciated, please check out my Sketch Book.

Constructive criticism and opinions are always appreciated, please check out my Sketch Book.

I really love this one, I think it actually displays what I am learning about different values and learning how to use different levels of graphite. ^^

So my digital art skills aren't the greatest but I really love what I did with my original concept drawing.

Practice drawing using a constructive method rather than just eye-balling things. Try to simplify things into their most basic forms. Take a look at some Loomis books for examples of this.
(06-18-2015, 01:14 AM)Kir Wrote: So my digital art skills aren't the greatest but I really love what I did with my original concept drawing.

Awesome dude. Like the exaggerated neck and lengthy proportions (unless it wasn't intended you may want to practice that). Great design as well. I am not a professional but one thing that may not sit right with me are the hands though, they are a bit too small unless that was intended (your other sketches have the right idea refer to those). Otherwise the sketch is great! Thumbs_up
(06-18-2015, 06:52 AM)yangdaniel027 Wrote: Practice drawing using a constructive method rather than just eye-balling things. Try to simplify things into their most basic forms. Take a look at some Loomis books for examples of this.

Thanks! I'm looking at a few books by Andrew Loomis now. I'll post more things, I appreciate the insight ^^.

(06-18-2015, 10:14 AM)DeReyner Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 01:14 AM)Kir Wrote: So my digital art skills aren't the greatest but I really love what I did with my original concept drawing.

Awesome dude. Like the exaggerated neck and lengthy proportions (unless it wasn't intended you may want to practice that). Great design as well. I am not a professional but one thing that may not sit right with me are the hands though, they are a bit too small unless that was intended (your other sketches have the right idea refer to those). Otherwise the sketch is great! Thumbs_up

Thank you! Actually, I don't think any of those errors where intended. I was using an 8 head model maybe the neckline was placed a little too low. Oh yeah, darn the hands are small, thanks for catching that. ^^ Thanks for the help btw.

So my drawing class' sketchbook assignment is to make analytical drawings. Here is what I've done so far!

Also during class we worked on some still lifes to test out values with different methods of shading like hatching and cross-hatching. I've discovered scumbling, which is kinda weird, but still really cool!

(06-20-2015, 06:18 PM)Mariyan-Hristov Wrote: Nice work ! :) You said crits are welcomed so here I go.  I think it would be nice learn how to draw the body in motion from simple forms.The way comic artist and animators draw. Because drawing things on the level of your horizon doesn't provoke your brain to think about form that much. Also if you want to be a  visual development artist for Nintendo, I recommend Framed INK by Marcos Mateu-Mestre. It's a book about visual storytelling.

Thanks so much! Thats exactly what im looking for! As for different forms you mean gesture drawing like this? And thank you so much for recommending that book i'll check it out today! ^^.

Hey Kir! How's it goin'? :)

Haha that scrubby-dubby rendering style has always interested me, especially after seeing this chick's work:
https://instagram.com/cj_hendry/
Anything's possible, eh?
Render however you feel speaks to ya ^_^

In terms of feedback: yeah, what Mariyan said was on point, couldn't have said it better myself.

Those analytical drawings will help you out a bunch when you draw from imagination, because they're teaching you to visualise things in perspective, thus, thinking in 3D. This is very valuable knowledge and I recommend to keep doing these in the future for maximum level-uppering. That, or just always think like this as you draw. Keep up the critical thinking and you'll be surprised by how everything correlates.

Gestures are a wonderful warm up practise, if you keep doing them daily, you will see results.

Keep it up Kir, really, keep it up :)

P.s. can I just say, it's so bloody cool to see that you already have a goal that you're working towards?! Seriously, I'm still kinda aimless and to see someone with a goal in mind is inspiring to say the least.

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
(06-22-2015, 04:20 PM)smrr Wrote: Hey Kir! How's it goin'? :)

Haha that scrubby-dubby rendering style has always interested me, especially after seeing this chick's work:
https://instagram.com/cj_hendry/
Anything's possible, eh?
Render however you feel speaks to ya ^_^

In terms of feedback: yeah, what Mariyan said was on point, couldn't have said it better myself.

Those analytical drawings will help you out a bunch when you draw from imagination, because they're teaching you to visualise things in perspective, thus, thinking in 3D. This is very valuable knowledge and I recommend to keep doing these in the future for maximum level-uppering. That, or just always think like this as you draw. Keep up the critical thinking and you'll be surprised by how everything correlates.

Gestures are a wonderful warm up practise, if you keep doing them daily, you will see results.

Keep it up Kir, really, keep it up :)

P.s. can I just say, it's so bloody cool to see that you already have a goal that you're working towards?! Seriously, I'm still kinda aimless and to see someone with a goal in mind is inspiring to say the least.
 Hey! Omg its going extremely well! This morning I got accepted to DigiPen's BFA program. They have strong ties to Nintendo, since the president of the school is the co-founder of Nintendo of America Software. Im still kind of in shock. Thank you for input I really appreciate it, I'm definitely reading Andrew Loomis and Marcos Mateu-Mestre like Mariyan suggested. I work on art everyday aside from the community college art course I'm taking to keep me engaged, I'll definitely keep posting as much as I can!

sup kir thanks for checking out my sketchbook!
you asked for using my studies for you to learn from , i say go for it!
i dont mind theyre just studies for me as well :D

i have to say i like your pencil still lifes. they look realistic enough.

your gestures though could be more cleaner, try to draw with only few lines , avoid chicken scratching
try following how Proko does his gestures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j39NqwL7s4

those analytical drawings are going to be awesome , but again, strive for cleaner drawings, when using pen , try to do the warm ups that are conveyed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM

do them everyday as warm ups , so you will transform that hand into a mechanized android mechanical robot! that can do straight lines all the time. leading to a better line quality.

also nintendo is awsum

(06-23-2015, 06:01 PM)KurtJeremy Wrote: sup kir thanks for checking out my sketchbook!
you asked for using my studies for you to learn from , i say go for it!
i dont mind theyre just studies for me as well :D

i have to say i like your pencil still lifes. they look realistic enough.

your gestures though could be more cleaner, try to draw with only few lines , avoid chicken scratching
try following how Proko does his gestures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j39NqwL7s4

those analytical drawings are going to be awesome , but again, strive for cleaner drawings, when using pen , try to do the warm ups that are conveyed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM

do them everyday as warm ups , so you will transform that hand into a mechanized android mechanical robot! that can do straight lines all the time. leading to a better line quality.

also nintendo is awsum

Thanks! Oh man, am I glad you told me about the gesture drawings. I was seriously just about to post anther series of messy gestures. I will definitely work on that tonight and post something improved^^. Thanks for the links they are extremely helpful!

First project for summer art class, its due in 2 days and critiques before it gets critiqued in class is really appreciated ;D Thanks guys and gals!

Attached Files Image(s)

Youre doing the right things here :D

Those form studies are coming out great bro. I want to see moar! <3

Hey Kir,

One thing I can say is, don't be afraid of darker values. On some of the images, the sketches appear too light, to the point where it becomes flat.

Aside from that, you're heading in the right direction, and good mannequin sketch you have there. Keep it going!