Poyo's I wanna be good! Everyday Sketchbook
Wink 
I looked forever for a good art community and I finally found it!

This is my studies of everything thread, I don't know anything about the human figure so I'm starting from scratch.

Please crit if you have the time.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-24-2012, 07:29 PM)poyo Wrote: I looked forever for a good art community and I finally found it!

This is my studies of everything thread, I don't know anything about the human figure so I'm starting from scratch.

Please crit if you have the time.
Welcome to the dagger man were happy to have you poyo:D

my suggestion is that you study basic shape construction first (Cylinders, elipces, ovals, etc) in perspective
these are core shapes you find in the figure and they are underlying drawing fundermentals.

especially with number 15, hes feet imply the your looking up at him but the line connecting his shoulders implys were looking straight at him thus shattering the perspective

read read anderw loomis figure drawing for all its worth

and spend a month on pages 1-52 before moving on.

happy painting bro

^^ that's some good advice there, I'd def second that. Also remember to post your work up that you do everyday so we can help and encourage you, even if you think it's not worth it (I have some stuff in my sketch book here that I really hate! lol but it's part of the learning and growing process) and you can do the same for others ;). Keep practicing and woeking hard! I'll be watching to keep pushing you :P.

@iggytek Thanks man, I see what you mean about 15. It was my first time doing posemaniacs (the easiest one, 90 sec lol) so I had a hard time getting everything down. I'm going to do half an hour every morning and see if I get better. I just got the loomis book so I'm also going to do longer poses with it as ref. I like your sketchbook, everything is so sharp, I want to stop petting the lines so bad.

@jonhop I will, you work hard too! I'll be watching your sketchbook :)
More 90 sec posemaniacs and some 5 min figures. I also tried to do a timed color study, but when I went to make a texture brush I accidentally closed it without saving after the full hour :(

So this is all I have for now, I'll do it tomorrow...

Attached Files Image(s)

Posemaniacs, 90 sec

Color study, 1 hour
first time with no lineart prep
seeing it now though... I didn't get all the placements right

Good to see you putting in the effort! The 1 hour colour study is good and your human form sketches are improving, keep it up!

you talked about the placements in the last one. and that's the spirit! if you notice that something is not right, go and fix it. it doesn't matter how much time you take, as long as it is riht!

keep going, it really nice to see your studying hard!
@Jonhop
Thanks for stopping by again!

@Pedro Thanks for your comment, I really admire your sketchbook. On second thought I should've used polygonal lasso... but I will fix it tomorrow and post the revised. It was my first time doing colors though, it was very hard to pick accurately. Maybe it was too ambitious? I'm going to do a few value studies first.

More 90 sec posemaniacs, I feel like I am starting to understand what I should be thinking of when I do these...

did loomis studies, then imagination sketch too, but too ugly to post :(

Cool studies, one thing I would say is that you should try to do non time limit studies instead of setting a specific time limit as you could learn a lot from doing full blown ones. Also don't forget to apply your studies as soon as possible, because if you don't all the juicy knowledge will have wandered off. Keep up the work.
@Miles-E Thanks for your comment! I want to do longer studies but I am not good enough yet. I get confused if there is too much color because I can't even accurately judge value yet. I hope when my library of knowledge reaches critical mass, I'll be able to gain from studies and use them when working on projects from my imagination.

BTW, can someone tell me how long I should be drawing at this stage? I am using "Figure drawing for all it's worth" and Vilppu videos to learn to render the human body. I close my eyes and try to imagine what it would like in different positions and angles. I draw on lots of sheets I don't even bother to upload here because they suck pretty bad haha. I draw them from memory until I get close to the example image. But looking at my progress it seems like I don't learn much per day? I only learned about two or three pages of loomis today. And Vilppu is so good, his lessons are really hard sometimes.

90 second posemaniacs. I think there are way less mistakes this time, even though some of the figures are so flat, I couldn't take loomis' advice and "draw the unseen ear".

Need more practice!

I did this page from imagination, that's why the one in the lower left corner is so deformed :P
I'm trying to visualize what the body looks like when I drape some mass over the loomis mannequin. Unfortunately I'm only on the first 50 pages, so I don't even know what muscles look like. That's cool I guess, it will come later.

I did the stick figures from memory/imagination. Did the upper body sketches in class today. The only open seat was all the way in the back. Was only able to draw professor from the front, and everyone else's trapezius muscles :s
To test myself I observed the model and waited a bit until they changed positions and drew how they were from memory.

The revised edition of the color study.

Missed a day, kinda sick and took some niquil, had crazy trippy dreams about rabbits... :s

Switched from posemaniacs to pixelovely gesture viewer.
Some in the beginning are 30 sec but they were too hard so I did 60s.

5 mins each, when I did these for the first time last week I didn't even finish the lines. Now sometimes I have time to shade it. Could it be... I'm getting faster?! :p

Didn't time this one. But it was probably about 15-20 mins. Needs lots of work seeing values.

This upload is for yesterday, too tired to upload.
Today's work coming later!

hey man! good to know you like my stuff, thanks!

it is really nice to make these little figure studies. keep them up. sideways, you sholud practice some values. value studies comes before the colors. simply set a whit ball lit by one light source and copy carefully. look at the subject a lot!!! seek the gradations and the edges. do a few and post them.

try varing the light position, but don't do nothing too extreme. place it from one side, and than the other. from a 1/4 position and stuff. do it in pencil or chalk.
@Pedro thanks for your encouragement! I took your advice and started doing value studies. I don't have a plaster sphere or anything so I made one out of clay. But it has to dry first so will be a couple days until I can use it :p

And also, thanks iggy for advice like 10 posts ago. "Do loomis pages 1-53 for a month" is really paying off!

I'm not posting gestures anymore. I only use them to warm up.

I want to practice hatching!!!

I did this from imagination as a test. Not perfect but two weeks ago I wouldn't have been able to do it :)

Loomis studies for serious :P Better than the first ones I did. Mostly loomis starting tomorrow.

Other than that, cheap paper is cheap! and streaky eraser is streaky...
Somehow my scanner makes it look dirtier than in real life...

Great to see you working so hard, and I can really see vast improvement since your first images, great work! Keep this up!!

@JonHop thanks! I am really feeling it too, that there is more stuff I understand than before.

As per Pedro's suggestion, I did value studies on a ball. I made it from clay but it is lumpy haha.
So, the lumpy ones are the real life drawings and the round ones are what I imagine it will look like if the ball was really round.

Finally got to this page. I'm soooo slow but it is worth it. The back view is crooked :(

From memory. It was actually not hard at all because I took my time memorizing the example.

the studies are going great!

about the ball, you got it right, it is on the way. but you should try to get the gradations more soft. also, a little lesson:

There should be families of grays in the object. the families of the light and of the shadows. the grays in the light should not be in the shadows, and the grays of the shadow should not be in the lights.
from that, you get that the reflected ligh is not of the families of the light, it is in the shadows, so it must be darker than the darkest gray of the light. and so on. never put a light value in the shadow, and never a shadow value in the light.

that is your job to do, it's not going to be like that at the model. at the model there could other light soucers influencing the lightning.

hope you got it, if not, just reply and i'll try to explain better!

also, try to organize the hatches. do all of them in diagonal, or vertical, or whatever suits you, but organize them!!
(07-03-2012, 02:14 AM)Pedro Cardoso Wrote: the studies are going great!

about the ball, you got it right, it is on the way. but you should try to get the gradations more soft. also, a little lesson:

There should be families of grays in the object. the families of the light and of the shadows. the grays in the light should not be in the shadows, and the grays of the shadow should not be in the lights.
from that, you get that the reflected ligh is not of the families of the light, it is in the shadows, so it must be darker than the darkest gray of the light. and so on. never put a light value in the shadow, and never a shadow value in the light.

that is your job to do, it's not going to be like that at the model. at the model there could other light soucers influencing the lightning.

hope you got it, if not, just reply and i'll try to explain better!

also, try to organize the hatches. do all of them in diagonal, or vertical, or whatever suits you, but organize them!!

Thanks for taking the time to crit!

just so I've got it right, do you mean:

and how do I get very smooth gradation? because I have tried all these (in the picture below). I saw a video on the scribble one done very softly and it was laying the graphite layer by layer. In the end you could not see the pencil marks at all, looks very smooth. But when I tried it, it doesn't look smooth at all :(

and I have seen people change hatching direction to indicate plane change, did I do it wrong?
so which one do you recommend I use?

the thing is that, since the sphere is a simple objetc, you should choos one. not that i allways say should, not that you must or have, because there's no right or wrong. you do what works for you.

but when you organize the hatching, the drawing has that look of something made with care, something that was meant to be finished. that, as the old masters said, is what makes a professional artist, the care with the drawing.

and the doubt is great! it means you're actually studying, and when you study you get to know a lot of things, and how do you manage that?! it is up to you.

try layering the hatches, start setting the lighest tone you can, and proceed to the darkest(while studying the ball you made). try to hatch in dyagonal, try it vertical, and try is scribbling. see wich one works for you.
@Pedro Thanks! you helped me out a lot. I made some other geometric shapes with clay and they finally dried. I will do some pencil drawings of cubes, cylinders, etc. and try to hatch them nicely.

Loomis studies

Same, but from memory

Tried to study some value but I don't know how to move from here. Hmm, maybe I should have used a girl's picture instead, smoother and easier to see shapes. And an easier pose.

Digital form studies. No lineart just blocking + value.

Checked the bases of objects to make sure no overlap.

Tried to draw bust from life. Too complicated for first time lol