Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook
Great updates, loving the character designs of your latest post, very interesting and well drawn and rendered!

@cgmythology - Thanks a lot! I do think I am improving a bit in rendering, specifically in texturing things. I use to not even attempt to texture much at all, but I am actually at least trying to show or indicate some sort of texture now more often.

---

So with my new piece I am working on currently (droid walking down the hallway) my plan is to go all in focus mode on it. Trying to bring it to a complete status as fast as possible (and as for "complete", I mean to a presentable standard relative to my ability). Cause usually I work on several pieces at a time, and get distracted by other ideas and what not. I want to see how long it really takes for me to finish a piece if all focus is put in to it, and I plan to keep track of roughly how long it takes me as well.

Also I have been doing some 3D sculpting. I've done some before in Blender, but several months ago I found a simple in-browser sculpting app called SculptGL. I've been messing around with it and had quite a bit of fun making stuffs. Its completely free and as I said earlier can be used in-browser, but there is a stand alone app too.

Here's a link to it for anyone interested - https://stephaneginier.com/sculptgl/
And here for the standalone version - https://stephaneginier.com/

I know there is Blender, and I have used it before, but it has a lot of features and is very complex compared to SculptGL. So I think for now I'll stick with SculptGL until I eventually start to out grow its limited features and then I'll slowly make the transition to Blender.

The blue and red thumbnail designs for the droid have great silhouettes/designs that aren’t coming through in the illustration. Partly because you’re placing them in a harder perspective which can be difficult to translate from the straight on designs which became less dynamic - probably also due to the harder perspective.

With your horizon line dropped low, we should be looking up at the droid and seeing more underneath and less on top/straight on forms. Also swinging the front arm forward gives a cleaner gesture.

I know you’re tryin to finish this up fast - these are just some ideas to keep in mind. Putting more dynamic shapes like you have in those thumbnail iterations into dynamic perspectives, is really hard to do without blocking forms out to the primary forms like the cubes and cylinders pose I did. If you can make the gesture read well in cubes and cylinders the pose will likely look solidly done.

Attached Files Image(s)