Slimy skin....
Okay, I need some advice on doing slimy skin.. I just don't get the speculars.. It fries my brain!
Any advice on brushes/layers that make this work a little better? Here is a pic of mine and a pic of what kind of skin i was going for..

Mine..
[Image: alien__by_vorseth-d5isi8y.jpg]

what i was aiming for ( i think this guy uses Zbrush.. so i dunno if i can even do that in PS
[Image: the_grey_by_jsmarantz-d3dpvit.jpg]
yep, it is tricky but you can do it.
I think to achieve that effect you must play with the smudge tool and some filters, but i´m no expert.
take a look at Brad Rigney tutorial "a hostile takeover" he has an awesome 3d effect in his paintings so, anything from that artist could be worth watching.

From what I see you are trying to use a soft round brush that isn't very opaque or little dots with a hard round that is somewhat transparent, this is the opposite of what works well for slime/oily texture. Try using a small hard opaque brush.

I think of liquid lighting differently from normal lighting, more like it is actually grabbing the light and containing it within itself causing very bright and pure depiction of said light. Try to keep the form of your object in mind also, normally (just as with normal light) the highest points are going to reflect the most while the lowest will sink into shadow(or just relentlessness.)

[Image: Ni8k4.jpg]

On a side note, keep your anatomy in mind! The left and right sides of his face are difference along the jaw line and brow.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the paint over! I shall take your advice and Work more on anatomy and i will practice the speculars with an opaque hard brush :D Thanks for the Crit! i really appreciate it !
I don't know, if this helps, but today after transferring photos on my laptop and looking through them, I noticed this photo of two wet fly agarics. You can use them for reference, if you'd like to.

[Image: fly_agaric_1_small_by_dorothee_rudolph.jpg]

You could also search for photos of snail trails on objects or apply some oily (sun) lotion on yourself and take some photos. :)

My Crimson Dagger sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-1479.html
If ur gonna do ur slimy highlights on the right like that then you need to make your light more of a centered back light, it doesn't lok quite right, or if you're gonna do the white light on the right, make it more saturated it's too intense for that side of the face, I'm basing this on the lighting scheme you have already established, I'll do a paintover for you when I get out of college and show you what I mean tonight when I get home :)

(10-26-2012, 12:24 PM)NickHuddleston Wrote: If ur gonna do ur slimy highlights on the right like that then you need to make your light more of a centered back light, it doesn't lok quite right, or if you're gonna do the white light on the right, make it more saturated it's too intense for that side of the face, I'm basing this on the lighting scheme you have already established, I'll do a paintover for you when I get out of college and show you what I mean tonight when I get home :)

Hey mate! thanks for the advice :D and that would be great :D thanks!
I would stay away from filters. It's all about the edges! Look at all the references you have above, the highlights have strong sharp edges, if you need more reference look up latex pants. One other thing that will help is loose some of the detail/texture in the skin, strategically place the texture on the focal points of the painting, you do not need all that texture on the lower part of the neck.

I look forward to seeing the finished piece!