A sketchbook (March 17th, 2015)
At least you have standing dudes! Now you just need to work on the rest, dont be scared to be a bit more losse and flowing

solid anatomy and forms man, I'm jelly! Would like to see some more abstract stuff out of your comfort zone tho I think it would do you good.

Jamesxwu: thanks for looking!

kidult: thats exactly what im focusing on now, trying to loosen up. ill keep workin on it.

rich4rt: hehhe ill be doing that soon enough, till then, thanks for lookin!

So i got a place in Montreal. ill be moving up by the 1st of May, till then, ill be aback and forth moving stuff up over the next 30 days. that was the hard part, now i just need to keep working and try and land a gig in one of the studios there. or else ill be on the streets.

anyways, heres some sketches from today and yesterday.

[Image: sketch_dragon.jpg]

[Image: sketch_thing.jpg]

[Image: character_sheet.jpg]

sweet gestures mate, but why you no draw clothes! You've nailed anatomy, now time for folds and clothing to make ur design shine

rich4rt: i love naked dudes! they are best kind of naked, all dude like. but for reals. ur right, ill do some of that stuff soon enough.

so moving to Montreal is still under way, havent had any time to really sit down and draw much for the last few weeks. but im dealing with it, and soon enough ill be living in my new condo, and drawing much more shit.

as for now, heres some character sketches that i will keep working on later. someone from ubisoft said theyd like to see me do some character sheets. so thats what ill be doing for a bit.

going back to Montreal on Sat for 5 days to un pack a Uhaul. anyone wanna help? i have beer.

[Image: character_sheet_scurd_sketch.jpg]

[Image: character_sheet_fantasy_sketch.jpg]

[Image: character_sheet_coloryguys.jpg]

Great quality of light in your studies, really nice. Great anatomy too your stuff feels really solid and grounded, your figures have weight to them.
Vimes: thanks man, thats nice to hear, having things feel grounded is something i struggle with, thanks again!

[Image: space_standers.jpg]

[Image: Fantasy_charactersheet.jpg]

[Image: character_sheet_skullers3_color.jpg]

Great work wreck
Woah, been awhile.

Been pretty busy lately. Livin in montreal now, workin full time freelance. which some times means im sittin around lookin for work. But thankfully ive been able to stay busy with some consistent work for the last year. Did some work for Volta, worked on a number of projects for them. Here are some of them that have been released to the public, one from Klab and a few from Hi Rez Studios. As well as some of my random doodles. Hope you enjoy!

[Image: twof0sN.jpg]

[Image: oPfeZ8g.jpg]

[Image: OJvmcg3.jpg]

[Image: 5XhRD7O.jpg]

[Image: ppMiYdl.jpg]

[Image: MPQ2dhN.jpg]

[Image: GTzHPU1.jpg]

[Image: zF3DZ7v.jpg]

[Image: qRatVWB.jpg]

Oh, also ill be going to the LA Massive Black workshop this December! so pumped! lets hang out if youre goin!

anyways! Ill post more sometime soon! Thanks for lookin!

p.s always looking for new projects to work on, email me at anytime [email protected] .

Sweet monsters!

Love the power ranger too. Takes me back :)

i love your work wreck, the studies are especially solid.
jelous you got to work at volta and that youre going to the workshop in l.a, enjoy that!
DoubleThink: Glad you dig em! Thanks!

BenFlores : Thanks man! I should really do some more studies.. heh, thanks again!

Heres some more stuff from recent months. As well as a couple sketches.

Heres 2 more for Hi Rez Studios game Smite i did working for Volta.

[Image: oYVRFMg.jpg]

[Image: bDinQlm.jpg]

And heres a Shroomkin for the upcoming Hex TCG MMO. Saw this fella on their site so here ya are.

[Image: i9K6Q8e.jpg]

Also heres some concept art for an indie game im workin on with a team of 20 plus people from around the world (Actually looking for more people to do concept art, both character and environment stuff, feel free to email me if you are interested in helpin out!)

[Image: kpc9WXm.jpg]

[Image: XgZ275k.jpg]

[Image: gIpuBLG.jpg]

And some personal doodles.

[Image: txlnMjg.jpg]

[Image: AMy4JXo.jpg]

[Image: cXF9FWB.jpg]

Thanks for stopping by!

I love you characters man! Congrats on working for Volta and keep it up! Thanks for sharing your works :D
Been almost a year to date since last time i posted.

So, heres an update on whats up.

Im gonna be posting some of my recent work here. Mainly studies, gestures and sketches. Once and awhile ill post an actual finished image, either personal or client based work. So once again, this will be a sketchbook and a place for me to dump my studies and things as i attempt to get better.

Anyways. If you like what you see, hit me up on facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/johnderekmurphy ) where you can see my updates sooner as i pretty much put everything i do on there first.

Ive been starting to live stream every morning at around 8:30 EST for a couple hours, i stream all my studies that ill be posting and if you want to watch you can do so at this link. I believe theres also Vods up of previous studies, but im not sure if all of them are watchable, or rather uploaded, not sure how livestream decides which to upload. anyways, heres the link.

http://www.livestream.com/johnderekmurphy

Studies range from 2 hours to 4 hours.

[Image: y42IKnW.jpg]

[Image: Pras8MB.jpg]

[Image: xqk51Jr.jpg]

[Image: jiX8Iy5.jpg]

[Image: 01rSRNq.jpg]

[Image: ohYtkVB.jpg]

[Image: zavppj9.jpg]

[Image: VHU1IzV.jpg]

Duuude those studies are crazy! Nothing to crit really. Just keep up the good stuff.
You're just awesome man, amazing how you can make your paintings so realistic :)
Your work is great specially your magnificent studies ! is there anyplace where i can find tips on how to apply texture brushes? because u seem to have the hang of it .keep it up!
Hey! Dude I remember watching your SB over at CA a few years back, kicking ass more than ever.
My jaw just dropped after seeing these studies, I might give a pop at your livestream some day.
Keep posting!

Caisne: Thanks man! :D

¤Lilly¤: Thank you Lilly!

BlueBear: My advice would be to keep playin with them. I have hundreds of brushes, and over half of them i still dont know what to do with. Keep tryin them out, if they dont give the mark your lookin for, then undo and try another brush.

rafa zanchetin: Thanks man, that means a lot. And thanks for stoppin by the stream. Was really nice chattin to ya for a bit!

Heres this weeks studies. All dudes. Next week i think im gonna step away from the photos and do some self portraits with a mirror.

[Image: ScJ1urt.jpg]

[Image: RoSW1de.jpg]

[Image: MTsNJS7.jpg]

[Image: pU4ciKY.jpg]

This week i did some self portraits. I really struggled with the mirror, seemed to play with my eyes a bit. Id like to do some more of these in a little bit down the road. see if i improve any.

Heres 5 self portraits. Starting with monday as #1 and friday as #5, The last one was from a photo that i took and used my second monitor to paint. I can still say i learned a lot. especially that painting from photos is much much easier then from a reflection in real life. But again, i plan on stickin with these, maybe ill do another week of them next month.

[Image: 9VPdyUJ.jpg]