The Misadventures of Shadow's Sketchbook
:blush: Welcome to my Sketchbook:blush:
Still learning a lot all at once so there is a ton of trial and error on line art, painting,gesture drawing, animation, and anatomy studies.

Any advice or critiques would be extremely appreciated to help improvement <3 Thank you in advance!

[Image: to_the_spirit_by_shadowlillium-d5qvkm9.jpg]

[Image: hectate_by_shadowlillium-d5qtddu.jpg]

[Image: egyptian_angel_by_shadowlillium-d5qzuj8.jpg]

[Image: BAGv0I3CYAAIapm.jpg:large]

[Image: flame_knight_by_shadowlillium-d5qktd3.jpg]

[Image: _3_by_shadowlillium-d5r0pcu.jpg]

doodles of faces and limbering up different angles

[Image: doodles_1_by_shadowlillium-d5r474v.jpg]

[Image: journey_with_the_sharkman_by_shadowlillium-d5rja58.jpg]

[Image: spiderbot_by_shadowlillium-d5rjng3.jpg]

[Image: a_pearl_of_truth_by_shadowlillium-d5rpsui.png]

[Image: studies_by_shadowlillium-d5rujv0.png]

[Image: tumblr_mh49pkLDE11qail0to1_500.jpg]

hey great start for your sketchbook, i want to drop advice but im not sure if you are going to like it, my advice is Drop the anime look or any sort of style for now and work with your basics and foundational skills such as, anatomy and geture drawing, also perspective its a good place to start reading, if you are eager to learn the figure try to understand how it works first, there are alot of information out there on this subjects one of the ims michael hamptons site www.figredrawing.info he posts some bits from his book and his anatomy diagrams, check it out copy the ones you like or are interested in and try and learn while drawing them dont just copy for the sake of copying try to think why everything is there and how it connects and helps make the general shape of a limb or a facial feature, if you work on your construction and your foundation i GUARANTEE you that your anime stuff and own style will shine with a brighter light, since you will not be as shy when making strokes because you will know what this lines stand for! either way keep it up its just practice, practice and practice!
(01-25-2013, 05:34 PM)leonardZC Wrote: hey great start for your sketchbook, i want to drop advice but im not sure if you are going to like it, my advice is Drop the anime look or any sort of style for now and work with your basics and foundational skills such as, anatomy and geture drawing, also perspective its a good place to start reading, if you are eager to learn the figure try to understand how it works first, there are alot of information out there on this subjects one of the ims michael hamptons site www.figredrawing.info he posts some bits from his book and his anatomy diagrams, check it out copy the ones you like or are interested in and try and learn while drawing them dont just copy for the sake of copying try to think why everything is there and how it connects and helps make the general shape of a limb or a facial feature, if you work on your construction and your foundation i GUARANTEE you that your anime stuff and own style will shine with a brighter light, since you will not be as shy when making strokes because you will know what this lines stand for! either way keep it up its just practice, practice and practice!

Thank you, though I am still learning figure drawing and anatomy, it is never good to just stop drawing a style. How will anyone learn? I am learning and practicing, but I will not just stop. I will learn anatomy and figure drawing. Thank you for your advice.

[Image: dinodystopia_by_shadowlillium-d5tq93y.jpg]

[Image: lady_of_tof_by_shadowlillium-d5uk55i.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mi6yn5e5oi1qail0to1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mja1c5Ucjd1qail0to1_r2_500.jpg]

[Image: rit349.gif]

[Image: tumblr_mjblcj7p8W1qail0to1_500.jpg]

Nice animation! :D

As a suggestion: try to vary saturation and value in your pieces a bit more too. All of them are very saturated - it works for some styles of cartoon, but usually when you're going for something more realistic (without outlines), you need the variation in saturation and values to hold it together :)

(03-09-2013, 01:55 AM)Ursula Dorada Wrote: Nice animation! :D

As a suggestion: try to vary saturation and value in your pieces a bit more too. All of them are very saturated - it works for some styles of cartoon, but usually when you're going for something more realistic (without outlines), you need the variation in saturation and values to hold it together :)

:blush: Thank you Ursula Dorada.

Would adding more value help with the saturation issue or is some pieces too colorful and need to be toned down?

Hmmm they don't need to be toned, it need to vary to add richness!
Check this guy's blog, he is awesome with color: http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com/

Pay attention to how he uses saturation to make contrast. His images look bright and rich, but it only has top saturation on this area that makes it the main center of interest of the image.
Saturation is also a form of contrast - you shouldn't have contrast all over the image. If you do that, it becomes dull. To create interest, you want to have variety and rhythm through the image - if everything is the same contrast through the image (same color, same saturation, same value, same edges), you have no rhythm but a single note being repeated over and over.

Makes sense? :)

Oh, and just Sula will do <3
Welcome aboard!

(03-09-2013, 07:27 AM)Ursula Dorada Wrote: Hmmm they don't need to be toned, it need to vary to add richness!
Check this guy's blog, he is awesome with color: http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com/

Pay attention to how he uses saturation to make contrast. His images look bright and rich, but it only has top saturation on this area that makes it the main center of interest of the image.
Saturation is also a form of contrast - you shouldn't have contrast all over the image. If you do that, it becomes dull. To create interest, you want to have variety and rhythm through the image - if everything is the same contrast through the image (same color, same saturation, same value, same edges), you have no rhythm but a single note being repeated over and over.

Makes sense? :)

Oh, and just Sula will do <3
Welcome aboard!

Ohhh! Wonderful example! I think I understand what you mean! I will have to try much harder to put it into use. XwX thank you!

[Image: tumblr_mkcqttGumT1qail0to1_500.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_mkc7xsfG4L1qail0to1_500.jpg]

animations work better in a seperate tab but :D
[Image: tumblr_mkw6uasdaX1qail0to1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_mkx2fsfPGH1qail0to1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_mkwtfmluCK1qail0to1_500.jpg]

[Image: tyger_tyger_by_shadowlillium-d653vnu.jpg]