JBZ's Sketchbook
Been practising with the mixer brush today, after I saw just how insanely cool MrFrenik's new style. Check it out over here! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3...l#pid48000

He explains his process there. I've pretty much done the same, alternating between "dry" and "wet" modes. Dry allowed me to put new paint on top of what had already been painted. Wet allowed me to blend it. It's kinda tricky, actually, But I guess I can implement it in my workflow to improve blending... we'll see! :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Trying cartoonish style, with simplified lines and colouring!

Attached Files Image(s)

Awesome post on your mixer brush study, man, and it turned out really well. They can be kinda difficult to get used to, especially if you've been using the alt-pick-blend way of doing things for a while, but I'm sure you can see where it can come in handy. I've been trying to make more and more custom brushes to go along with it, as well as still using all the standard brushes for more texture as well. National Self Portrait day is coming up, so I'm hoping we'll be able to put all this stuff to use!

I'm also really digging the cartoony style. I think the number one thing about cartoons is a clear, defined gesture as well as simplified design (which is TOUGH to do right), and I think you've got a great one going here. Good job!

MrFrenik: Thanks dude, I haven't had time to play around them since, but indeed, I'm thinking I'll reserve them for the real "painterly" stage of my process, blending and rendering.

Oh, what is National self portrait day? I've just looked it up on google. Is it some kind of people's run event? I'm definitely in!

Hehe, thanks. I'm by no means expert on cartoon, but it's nice to go into more designy stuff now and then.

So, I've started a self-imposed regime for the near future. I really need to pump up my drawing arm, get it fit and be able to produce more quality in less time. So, I have signed up for Chris Oatley's Magic box and also will do Noah Bradley's course after looking at this website. You can find the assignments that Noah asked from his students up to the 9th week. I believe it's quite a good starting point. :)

Oatley's is more affordable at 18$/month, while Noah's is 250$ for the full entry. Doing the full math, Oatley's course is higher priced, but that's the only one I can afford now.

I've decided to "attend" Noah's by just doing the work. It's definitely in my plans to purchase the videos once I can scrap some cash.

So first goes my submission for Oatley's first month, color comps:

[Image: v2M2ze2hep2nc2ywUC7KEy4gsfr4Daue6-W_IC8I...74-h865-no]

And now my current progress on the master studies:

[Image: 01A+-+B%2526W+Sketches.jpg][Image: 01B+-+Color+studies.jpg][Image: 01B+-+Color+studies+2.jpg][Image: portrait+of+a+woman.jpg][Image: st+eulalia+progress.jpg]

Awesome stuff. Just looking at these exercises, it seems that the two courses at least start off in the same way with master/color studies, so maybe it won't be necessary for you to join up with both and just stick with the affordable one for now? I've gone through Noah's course, and while it's worthwhile and good stuff to study, I'm more than sure that Chris goes through most, if not all, of the exact same material.

Thanks MrFrenik! Well, the approach of the assignments is a bit different. While Noah is more "art school" oriented and intensive, Chris Oatley's more about digital techniques and at-your-own-pace vibe. I'd guess that they both complement each other quite well. And the end of the day, it seems to me that any kind of self-taught course will go along the same steps however, namely: start from the basics, and then add up with your own experiences and inspirations.

I completed a few more rounds of master studies, here they come!

[Image: 01A+-+B%2526W+Sketches+02.jpg]

[Image: 01B+-+Color+studies+3.jpg]

[Image: portrait+of+a+woman-001.jpg]

[Image: 01C+-+Full+color+study.jpg]

Good studies, man. The class seems to be helping you quite a bit.