is this composition good?
Hey guys, previously i did an image with a fallen angel in a separate thread. I got some really good critique and want to apply them to a newer image.

i hope you can come with me through this journey of awesomeness and finish something amazing!

here is the start of my image. if anyone could tell me how the comp is atm and tell me if anything is wrong at this point i.e the legs being to fat, the hand in a awkward position, or the shoulders are weird

thanks.. here we go!

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-07-2013, 12:21 PM)beetlejuice Wrote: Hey guys, previously i did an image with a fallen angel in a separate thread. I got some really good critique and want to apply them to a newer image.

i hope you can come with me through this journey of awesomeness and finish something amazing!

here is the start of my image. if anyone could tell me how the comp is atm and tell me if anything is wrong at this point i.e the legs being to fat, the hand in a awkward position, or the shoulders are weird

thanks.. here we go!

ok, here is the next step after the comp.. the shading! just let me know if theres anything wrong with the image so far so i can correct it ;)

Attached Files Image(s)

OK, now that I've done that, time for the line art! hopefully this is up to every bodies expectations so far

there's something about the arm i cant quite put my finger on.
if anyone body can point out some flaws, now's a good time

Attached Files Image(s)

I agree on the arm. I have also the feeling that you have a tilted floor but the upper body looks more like a normal sitting person. maybe check if the pose works if you tilt the picture so that the floor is horizontal.
But some good stuff coming in this! keep going!

I think wolken nailed it on the head. I actually rotated your view a bit so you can see how the pose is not really aligned to the background- hope it helps :)

[Image: line_work_zps7e37ecfd.jpg]
(03-07-2013, 10:43 PM)ryan Wrote: I think wolken nailed it on the head. I actually rotated your view a bit so you can see how the pose is not really aligned to the background- hope it helps :)

[Image: line_work_zps7e37ecfd.jpg]

hey man, thanks for that! i fixed up the issue with the rotation of him now :P as well as some issues with his arms. i re positioned them slightly so that now they don't look weird. hopefully the muscle anatomy is correct, but ill let you guys decide that! im off to bed, i shall continue this tomorrow!

Attached Files Image(s)

This image sucks but the proportions are there.

You need to fix his anatomy, his arms and head and legs are off from each other.

Look up a reference image, to get the body correct, notice how the muscles bend etc. The image I put here was not the exact pose, but it gives you enough info to correct. I know you are skewing him a bit due to perspective, but only a fisheye lens would cause his thigh to bulge out that much.

You seem to be working very fast, but to a detriment, I looked at your post times/dates, you should practice sketching him kneeling first, just draw dudes kneeling. Like 5 times or however many times you need to.

Take a photo of yourself in the pose and apply that into the draw, not exactly so, but enough to see how your body exists in perspective in that pose.

As far as composition goes, you should do a set of thumbnails and try out different looks before devoting lots of time and energy into the piece, so if someone tells you, "Dude it's off" you'll be ready to change it.
ok, here is another line art piece of the character with the newer adjustments to him. hopefully he looks more.. anatomically correct this time. but like i said, just let me know if hes off.

Attached Files Image(s)

ok, so here is the basic of basic colors with the lighting involved.. tell me... is the lighting right for this type of environment? any suggestions u can offer to make it a but more interesting? or is this ok enough?

let me know

p.S i forgot about his hair :S my bad

Attached Files Image(s)

ok, the progress is coming along well i think :) just remember, if anything outs of place, let me know ;)

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey man, i took the freedom to do a quick paintover :) Doesn't seem like too many do that here, which is a shame.. but any way:

[Image: beetlejuice_paintover01.jpg]

In a pic like this, where you want the rim lighting and back lighting and all that cool stuff, you kinda need to push the darks. If your shadows aren't dark, that cool rimlight wont really look light at all. Regarding shadows, most of what will be lit up in the shadow should come from reflected light, I def overdid the darks, had i spent more time on i would have added more reflected light and tried to define his pecs and abs etc with that.

And one last thing, me recommendation would be to leave the phototextures for now, focus on learning how to paint with standard brushes, then start trying custom brushes, and then finally move on to integrating photos (if you want). If you want to use photos, everything kinda has to have that same detail level (or illusion of that detail level). Feng Zhu has a great video that explains it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...g-aFq6BbKw)

But like i said, leave all that jazz for later ;)

hope it helps!

thanks man for the information! i shall take that into consideration
welp, here it is.... the finished image.. thanks to everyone involved in helping me complete this image and showing me things i didn't even see, which enhanced the image even more!

i added some sudden colors to the background to break up the image a bit more. i also tightened a lot of corners on the image so it doesn't lose too much detail, but still managing to keep the face as a focal point! hopefully the burnt shriveled things at the back of him portray as some type of wings ;) i tried to go for the burnt out look of a rejected angel sent back from the heavens. hopefully everyone likes :D

the original image can be found here.

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-2315.html

thanks again!!!!!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Heya :)

Great to see how the image has come along :)

Keep posting!