Jeso's Stair Case To Awesome
Good suggestion. I've been meaning to do studies from other artists instead of just from photos, i forgetting lol.

Here is some doodles from imagination .

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-18-2013, 02:04 AM)Jeso Wrote: Hi, there, im Jeso, im 20 and here is my beloved sketchbook for the every now and then time for post something! Wanna be Concept artist/illustrator.!

And here we... GO!

Well I read this so I thought to ask! heh. Just making small talk tho!
Still good on the lines, all very clear and construction looks spot on! I guess maybe I'll suggest, have you tried other face proportions or general character builds/styles? That might be a challenge if you haven't and could spark you to try new stuff! Depends on what kind of aesthetics you like tho. So just characters and... mechs! Ha. Alright, what kind of mechs would you like to do?
sup guys, some studies and doodles, and some progress on a dragon painting i work on every day little bit by little bit lol, some day it will be finished...

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-19-2020, 09:17 PM)Rotohail Wrote:
(03-18-2013, 02:04 AM)Jeso Wrote: Hi, there, im Jeso, im 20 and here is my beloved sketchbook for the every now and then time for post something! Wanna be Concept artist/illustrator.!

And here we... GO!

Well I read this so I thought to ask! heh. Just making small talk tho!
Still good on the lines, all very clear and construction looks spot on! I guess maybe I'll suggest, have you tried other face proportions or general character builds/styles? That might be a challenge if you haven't and could spark you to try new stuff! Depends on what kind of aesthetics you like tho. So just characters and... mechs! Ha. Alright, what kind of mechs would you like to do?

Oh lol I see ! haha. Is all good lol, I can chat.  Yea the goal would still be the same... concept art illustration haha, though that is insanely broad answer.  One of my biggest goals is to work on magic the gathering stuff, cause I really love to work in oils, and that is like, the perfect gig for that .

You know I handt noticed that I actually have been drawing the exact same face type and body type for a while now lmfao.  I've just been so worried about.. drawing the "standard" body shape correctly that I forgot about variety. I need to explore that further for sure. Good call.  : D

Mechs... what kind of mechs do it like... hmmmmmm uh... lmao I dont know off the top of my head, lets see, some stuff like the mechs in the original pacific rim movie,  I like Evangelion type mechs a lot.  Mostly the japanese aesthetic type mechs. Like gundam too, but not the super chunky cubic one lol, more like, the later designs of gundams.

Good to see ya back Jeso. Sketchbook is looking awesome - lots of nice variety between studies and personal pieces, as well as line art and rendered pieces. Keep at it with studying the hands; it's already paying off. Also loving the shoe studies. I don't know about you, but I found drawing shoes hell to begin with. They are much like hands, where a bit of practice and it just ends up clicking and becomes so enjoyable to draw.
(05-20-2020, 10:04 AM)chubby_cat Wrote: Good to see ya back Jeso. Sketchbook is looking awesome - lots of nice variety between studies and personal pieces, as well as line art and rendered pieces. Keep at it with studying the hands; it's already paying off. Also loving the shoe studies. I don't know about you, but I found drawing shoes hell to begin with. They are much like hands, where a bit of practice and it just ends up clicking and becomes so enjoyable to draw.

Hiyo!  Lol shoes are definitely getting more fun to draw, hands, still a paing in the ass xD  Need to keep studying them.

So I do.  Here some 30-60 seconds hands, and just some Ryu fan art for funsies.

Attached Files Image(s)

A bit of progress on dragon, trying some stuff out that probably will be erased tomorrow lol.

Attached Files Image(s)

Very cool design; I've never seen a cobra-headed dragon before!

I really like the lighting and background of distant sand dunes; deserts have a mysterious yet peaceful feeling.

You're probably sick of making changes to the painting by now, but I suggest adding some visible finger joints to the wings. They're bat-type wings, and the dragon has detailed anatomy in the rest of its body, so adding some detail to the wings might give it that extra oomph.
(05-22-2020, 11:53 AM)Pubic Enemy Wrote: Very cool design; I've never seen a cobra-headed dragon before!

I really like the lighting and background of distant sand dunes; deserts have a mysterious yet peaceful feeling.

You're probably sick of making changes to the painting by now, but I suggest adding some visible finger joints to the wings. They're bat-type wings, and the dragon has detailed anatomy in the rest of its body, so adding some detail to the wings might give it that extra oomph.

Hey! That was a good call, showing some wing joints, i actually did change that.  Thanks I hadnt really noticed it.  : )

And also some studies and doodles.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice job on the wings; I think the dragon makes an even stronger impression now.

Good line confidence in the sketches; things are looking fluid and three-dimensional.
Really nice figure sketches! The way you simplify the forms is really good, and the three dimensionality is great.

(05-23-2020, 10:57 AM)Pubic Enemy Wrote: Nice job on the wings; I think the dragon makes an even stronger impression now.

Good line confidence in the sketches; things are looking fluid and three-dimensional.
Thanks guys!  

Just wanted to hop on here again and post this liitle doodle i did from imagination. No reference. This past week has been nothing but drawing studies, and i have noticed a lot of improvement in my drawing skills. I dont think I couldve have done a figure like this from imagination 10 days ago.  Just proves to me that pure drawing skills are the most important thing you can invest your time on as an artist. Pretty rendering is always secondary. Always.

This drawing aint nothing amazing, im sure there are broken parts in it lmfao. Since i tried to be fancy with the pose but, still, was a lot of fun and can feel tangible improvement like I mentioned.

Attached Files Image(s)

Interesting break throught thank for sharing.Yes i think i fall into that trap myself as an inspiring designer and it start to be apparent that i am a bit to comfortable with rendering when i should be an idea machine instead.

I think the reason you seeing improvement in your work is probably mostly due to using line exclusively and it what is key because once your done you don't go into value and rendering you just start over .Improving your form anatomy and perspective at a much higher pass instead of splinting the gain into other area like value,color,etc.It not necessarily that your drawing more it just that you are more focus in your problem solving.When i have issue i tend to think i need to finish my drawing that an error i should be concern with one fundamental at a time it fun to have something nice to show but it not what make use a great artist.It hard sometime to abandon a project because it make you question your ability to complete project.

Sketching is the best thing to problem solve.Small black thumbnail usually help solve problem in a even faster pass as your not concern about the detail as much it more about does the silhouette meet x y z criteria .

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(05-23-2020, 12:31 PM)darktiste Wrote: Interesting break throught thank for sharing.Yes i think i fall into that trap myself as an inspiring designer and it start to be apparent that i am a bit to comfortable with rendering when i should be an idea machine instead.

I think the reason you seeing improvement in your work is probably mostly due to using line exclusively and it what is key because once your done you don't go into value and rendering you just start over .Improving your form anatomy and perspective at a much higher pass instead of splinting the gain into other area like valuem,color,etc.It not necessarily that your drawing more it just that you are more focus in your problem solving.When i have issue i tend to think i need to finish my drawing that an error i should be concern with one fundamental at a time it fun to have something nice to show but it not what make use a great artist.It hard sometime to abandon a project because it make you question your ability to complete project.

Sketching is the best thing to problem solve.Small black thumbnail usually help solve problem in a even faster pass as your not concern about the detail as much it more about does the silhouette it meet x y z criteria .

Yeah this actually sounds about right.  I have a lot experience with painting, is not like im lacking a lot in those areas but, the thing that has always dragged the level of my work down is the drawing. Is drawing things with volume, with the right structure, with appeal, with good design.  No amount of great rendering will make a shitty drawing look good.

Thats why right now I dont even bother studying values, or color, or painting, I know the most important thing I need to get better at is raw drawing.  Line = design.

Some Gesture studies, then poses from imagination to apply the gesture practice, and some heads studies from today. Also a zbrush anatomy study.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hot damn you are killing it!
I'm really in awe with the gesture studies, imagination two bottom ones and the crouching one is a runner up. The torso study on zbrush looks good!!! Cobra-dragon looks very believable, are you using it for something? Story or otherwise?
The weakest probably that motorbike attempt within the shoes and the bipod mech legs on the last? (mainly a perspective thing, far away being bigger than closer one, but you might have run out of space lol).
I caught you attempted a pair of faces that had somewhat different proportions that the ones you seem to like ( a couple of guys) but most seem to fall back on a certain similar ratio (kinda feet inside the same triangle). I think you could go crazier but that's up to you ha ha.

About the lines, tricky. When I began I focused on linework because it kept things simpler.. then after starting to paint, I realized at least for me, that I would learn so much more and way faster by painting than by drawing, because drawing you filter a lot of info out, when you paint you can't do so (to a point, you can always go grimdark and put everything in shadows lol). A line drawing can just hint at a shape or what not, but is mostly empty space within enclosed space ha ha (that's why is quick!). So I dunno, I see you don't seem to have issues with your paintings or colors, so you keep following those steps, wherever they lead, not everyone has the same needs or paths to follow heh.
(05-24-2020, 10:16 PM)Rotohail Wrote: Hot damn you are killing it!
I'm really in awe with the gesture studies, imagination two bottom ones and the crouching one is a runner up. The torso study on zbrush looks good!!! Cobra-dragon looks very believable, are you using it for something? Story or otherwise?
The weakest probably that motorbike attempt within the shoes and the bipod mech legs on the last? (mainly a perspective thing, far away being bigger than closer one, but you might have run out of space lol).
I caught you attempted a pair of faces that had somewhat different proportions that the ones you seem to like ( a couple of guys) but most seem to fall back on a certain similar ratio (kinda feet inside the same triangle). I think you could go crazier but that's up to you ha ha.

About the lines, tricky. When I began I focused on linework because it kept things simpler.. then after starting to paint, I realized at least for me, that I would learn so much more and way faster by painting than by drawing, because drawing you filter a lot of info out, when you paint you can't do so (to a point, you can always go grimdark and put everything in shadows lol). A line drawing can just hint at a shape or what not, but is mostly empty space within enclosed space ha ha (that's why is quick!). So I dunno, I see you don't seem to have issues with your paintings or colors, so you keep following those steps, wherever they lead, not everyone has the same needs or paths to follow heh.

Thanks man.  : )

And about the line work, I still stand by what I said I firmly believe drawing is the most beneficial thing you can study. painting is always secondary. Even when the final product is an actual painting.  

With drawing You don't necessarily filter any information out, except color. You can draw contours, and value from lightest light to darkest dark.  with cross hatching or whatever.  Drawing encompasses every single aspect of representational art, and does anything painting can do, except the color part obviously.  

If you felt like you learned faster with painting, maybe thats just cause it feels like a more "complete" thing to do, a finished painting feels like a complete product, in comparison with just lines without values.  Now of course im not saying not to paint, of course you need to paint, and study by painting.   Is like, I paint, lol. Thats how I make my living, doing painted work.  The biggest thing that differentiates a novice painter and a really good painter, 9 times out of 10, is not their painting skills at all. But the drawing underneath. Now, by drawing im not strictly talking about crisp lines, Im talking about any form of under painting you had, scribbles, painted lines, or just the structures that you are able to conjure out of your head, CAUSED by all the actual drawing you've done before.

But anyways, here's today's update.  : DD

gesture studies, hand studies, and some imagination heads and stuff.  Also a quick head sculpt in zbrush.

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-25-2020, 01:27 PM)Jeso Wrote: Thanks man.  : )

And about the line work, I still stand by what I said I firmly believe drawing is the most beneficial thing you can study. painting is always secondary. Even when the final product is an actual painting.  

With drawing You don't necessarily filter any information out, except color. You can draw contours, and value from lightest light to darkest dark.  with cross hatching or whatever.  Drawing encompasses every single aspect of representational art, and does anything painting can do, except the color part obviously.  

If you felt like you learned faster with painting, maybe thats just cause it feels like a more "complete" thing to do, a finished painting feels like a complete product, in comparison with just lines without values.  Now of course im not saying not to paint, of course you need to paint, and study by painting.   Is like, I paint, lol. Thats how I make my living, doing painted work.  The biggest thing that differentiates a novice painter and a really good painter, 9 times out of 10, is not their painting skills at all. But the drawing underneath. Now, by drawing im not strictly talking about crisp lines, Im talking about any form of under painting you had, scribbles, painted lines, or just the structures that you are able to conjure out of your head, CAUSED by all the actual drawing you've done before.

gesture studies, hand studies, and some imagination heads and stuff.  Also a quick head sculpt in zbrush.

Sorry you lost me a bit here. Alright so what is it you mean with drawing specifically that makes it key? Because I saw you say earlier "line = design", that makes me think silhouette/shape design, but now you say drawing is all except using color but it ain't really, if you can draw with value, so you can with color, just use colored pencils! ha ha ha.

Now jokes aside to me drawing is, just delineating space and volumes on a flat surface, like you say now, the form underneath, so construction, because you can construct anything and then, light it however you like, get the same drawing, and use a different light setup, you get a completely different read or change it's material/texture, basically, you can use drawing as scaffolding right? Then paint in values, colors, materials, whatever, the scaffolding is then reusable.

Just mentioning this because I personally faced a conundrum that, I would draw something right? And say, okay this looks good. Then add color/value/shading, whatever, and suddenly see that it looked awful, and the question I had to answer to myself was, where did I go wrong? Did I shade/color wrong or was the drawing flawed to begin with? I keep facing those issues now all the time, I just have begun at times, to be able to tell better where did I go wrong, and I learnt that because I both practiced drawing and painting. I dunno if anyone else goes across this too lol.

I do get that since drawing is the first stage to clear, if you fail at it then it will probably fall apart later but I see people that draw, so so, then when painting fix a lot of things or as they go make drawing changes? And it turns out okay. That's why my current take is that you can't really focus on one stage over another because they both inform something of your process, inform you of what you are doing. So I have a hard time saying, yes, this is it! ha ha. But I'm intrigued by the question at hand so, what makes you say it is? Can you explain it a bit you experience?
(05-25-2020, 06:09 PM)Rotohail Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 01:27 PM)Jeso Wrote: Thanks man.  : )

Sorry you lost me a bit here. Alright so what is it you mean with drawing specifically that makes it key? Because I saw you say earlier "line = design", that makes me think silhouette/shape design, but now you say drawing is all except using color but it ain't really, if you can draw with value, so you can with color, just use colored pencils! ha ha ha.

Now jokes aside to me drawing is, just delineating space and volumes on a flat surface, like you say now, the form underneath, so construction, because you can construct anything and then, light it however you like, get the same drawing, and use a different light setup, you get a completely different read or change it's material/texture, basically, you can use drawing as scaffolding right? Then paint in values, colors, materials, whatever, the scaffolding is then reusable.

Just mentioning this because I personally faced a conundrum that, I would draw something right? And say, okay this looks good. Then add color/value/shading, whatever, and suddenly see that it looked awful, and the question I had to answer to myself was, where did I go wrong? Did I shade/color wrong or was the drawing flawed to begin with? I keep facing those issues now all the time, I just have begun at times, to be able to tell better where did I go wrong, and I learnt that because I both practiced drawing and painting. I dunno if anyone else goes across this too lol.

I do get that since drawing is the first stage to clear, if you fail at it then it will probably fall apart later but I see people that draw, so so, then when painting fix a lot of things or as they go make drawing changes? And it turns out okay. That's why my current take is that you can't really focus on one stage over another because they both inform something of your process, inform you of what you are doing. So I have a hard time saying, yes, this is it! ha ha. But I'm intrigued by the question at hand so, what makes you say it is? Can you explain it a bit you experience?

Hey dude. Yeah you are right in a way. i didn't meant to say that, if you dominate drawing then you wouldn't have problems in other areas like rendering. They are a ying and yang kinda thing, if you are doing a painted illustration. If you have an excellent drawing but you dont have a single clue about how to light a subject, if you have not the faintest idea about color theory, then its gonna look like shit if you paint on top of it.

So its depends on what stage everybody is at in their journey. I guess in my own experience, right now it works if I laser focus on just my drawing, because I have been doing art for nearly 10 years.  I have painted a lot, so what will boost the quality of my work the most right now, is to take my drawing to higher levels.  

I'm realizing now is really hard to explain why drawing is the most important thing to focus on lol. Cause depending on where you are at, it may not be.  like if you can draw okay already, and you never painted before, and you want to become a painter, then yeah, in that case you need to put drawing aside and study painting for a while.

In my opinion drawing is the hardest shit there is in art, rendering materials, and values and shading, those you can learn much faster. There are value rules that always work, if you memorize them and apply them, there are color combinations that work every single time and color temperature rules that you can follow and instantly improve the look of your paintings.  But drawing is the one thing that you cant just study for a few days and now  you know the rules. Is the one thing you need to repeat and repeat and repeat in the most hardcore way in order to improve at. is less theoretical, and more.. of actual physical skill almost.

There comes a point when you can draw okay, and you can paint pretty well.  And is that point in the journey where I realized that the level of my drawings is what is keeping my work at "low level".  I don't know. Maybe im completely wrong, but this is my sketchbook thread and this is my philosophy about art and what I think it is xD But it is art indeed, is not math. There are no absolutes in any of these things.

Just wanted to speak so highly about drawing because, I have been there. I have been in that place where I could draw okay and then i started painting, and i made it always about painting, studying meant rendering something.. it was all just painting painting painting, and my improvement went to shit. Until I had some critiques from a couple of professional artist they told me to focus on drawing, get better at drawing, because rendering is just the incing on the cake. Drawing, is the cake.   Then during live streams of some really high level artist that do critiqs for people, it was the SAME critique over and over and over. "Work on the drawing" " the drawing is this or that and the other thing" "the ellipses are wrong, its flat, there is no structure."

It became a trend, I realized ok everybody is just neglecting the drawing part, and jumping straight into painting, and trying to get better at painting, and they are forgetting about the most important part.  And yeah, Just been working on it myself and realizing through this experience, that they were right lol. And I will end it here, cause this amount of typing is ridiculous xD  

Oh shit, and yeah here is today's work.

- Gonna be starting a personal concept art project, and Im going to try to find a style for it, and.. yeah try to develop a base for it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Today's work. Trying to find some appeal, in the faces that I draw. Appeal > impeccable anatomy.
Plus armor studies.

Attached Files Image(s)