Seas' journey into the unknown
Have been lurking on the daggers forum for a while, I hope I finally came to the conclusion I have to take art seriously to take it anywhere.
Here's my deathline challenge: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-2616.html

A quick background: I've been drawing on and off for the past 4 years (more off than on), no real education other than workshops by the amazing Tom van de Wouwer (http://www.tomvandewouwer.com/home.html).
I study dutch/english at school so nothing to do with art. I also make scenery and terrain for warhammer on my DA --> http://wannagotoheaven.deviantart.com/
I have absolutely no idea where I'm going with my art, I'm just trying to get a sense of realism in my pieces, aiming for likeness and the right proportions. I'm also fascinated with Scott Robertson's work, and am working to get my free hand sketching up a notch.
Here's a sample of free hand practice exercises/ hands / portraits and some ships ala Robertson.
Feel free to drop in and crit/encourage me. Anything is appreciated

To view some of my slightly older work go check my CA sb.
Otherwise my journey starts here.

Let's see where I end up in 4 months time!

PS: anyone know why I can't see the attachments to my post?

Attached Files Image(s)

First of Tom, Welcome! Glad you want to take part in this great group! Let me say first off, you have some already solid rendering skills with traditional media and knowledge of human anatomy! I for one am excited to see where you're going to take this. Have you ever done any original character/ environment/ concept work?

Secondly, your link to your deathline goals is a broken link.

and thirdly, you have to be signed into the forums to view your attachments.

Again, welcome, I hope to see some great work.

(03-21-2013, 06:13 AM)TylerDonnelly Wrote: First of Tom, Welcome! Glad you want to take part in this great group! Let me say first off, you have some already solid rendering skills with traditional media and knowledge of human anatomy! I for one am excited to see where you're going to take this. Have you ever done any original character/ environment/ concept work?

Secondly, your link to your deathline goals is a broken link.

and thirdly, you have to be signed into the forums to view your attachments.

Again, welcome, I hope to see some great work.

Thanks, I've done very little original work. You'll get to see it in this post too!
Fixed the link and thanks for n3, couldn't see anyone's work before

LET'S DRIVE DOWN MEMORY LANE!

Lots of old stuff from 4yrs ago-1 yr ago

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey man! I can only second Tyler here and say you really got talent with the pencil! A very good understanding on rendering the shading! :D

I like the anatomy studies you made, they're very accurate!

Keep the studies coming man, you're definitely heading in the right direction!

And definitely complete your deathline challenge! It will boost your skills :)

Thanks Chris.

Enjoying my last moments before my trip. Some studies online "life drawing", portraits and perspective

Attached Files Image(s)

Not as much drawing because I'm discovering new york, but I still manage to draw daily which is cool.
I have a hard time settling down to do personal work tho, really have to make a switch and get started soon

Attached Files Image(s)

loving the exercises.

Your abilities are moving upwards in a very "classical" sense. It'd be nice to see you branch off into some other analog mediums (painting of any sort, for example) to help you carve out a better understanding of the fundamentals quicker...like forms and value massing.

looking forward to more!

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Youtube Channel (Process, Tips on how to get work, etc...)
Tom, thanks for the sketchbook comment. You've got some great portrait skills and your sense of tone is really good.

Love the first couple kissing in blue that's brilliant! and the last couple of pages of portrait studies.

Thanks Zeezee.

Here's more recent stuff, finally tried digital again even though I need to spend more than 30m on them for the tones, also some Scott robertson ship and some of my own

Attached Files Image(s)

Started a 100 portrait challenge last wednesday. Decided to do 50 digi /50 trad, made it to 80ish because trying to get used to digi is really hard for me. I'll finish it up and will do the Suzanne Helmigh mentor program

Attached Files Image(s)

Taking a break from portraits by doing some Robertson thumbnail studies

Attached Files Image(s)

Finally finished the 50 digital portraits. Getting there bit by bit, gonna start doing actualy head studies

Attached Files Image(s)

Did my first portrait from imagination ever, could use some help, here what I think is wrong with it:
the head shape feels like it doesn't belong with the features somehow, maybe it's too broad?
The mouth kinda looks flat
I'm not sure about the shadows, looked at some faces to get an idea of what to do
I tried not pushing the whites/blacks but you can't really see the 6 dark accents.

Also some nose studies. Finding good ref is impossibly hard :l

Attached Files Image(s)

Recent sketches, trying to get some stuff from mind on paper daily now, something I've never done

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work man, keep pumping those studies, you'll level up in no time!

Thanks Shuty

Quite busy last couple days, but here's some more box figures

Attached Files Image(s)

Went to the Metropolitan today and did some portrait drawings, blocking in the shadow and rendering a bit here and there

Attached Files Image(s)

Recent stuff, some more box figures and some spacemarine studies. Hopefully I'll get some marines from imagination soon.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey dude I'm liking the studies, keep it up and it will take you places! I think you have a nice balance of creative and studies as well.
Thanks Alexeh
Very busy these days. Time just flies by.
Started a course at Art Student's League, here the first thing I finished. Completely clueless as to what I'm doing tbh

Attached Files Image(s)