mateusrocha's sketchbook
yo Fedodika! thanks man, some friends warned me about that tangent aswell.. looking now, its really confusing...

here's a random doodle and some studies.

[Image: 09_07_13_random_by_mateusrocha-d6cx8he.jpg]

[Image: 10_07_13_fighter_study_by_mateusrocha-d6cx8h5.jpg]

[Image: 10_07_13_fighter_study2_by_mateusrocha-d6cx8gs.jpg]

haha the first boxer guy reminds me of Dan, I wanna give him a hug someday...
Hahah I thought that too xD

Well, I've been away for a while because I had to work on a comic for my Comics final, now it's over and I'm back on track. Only 1 subject remaining and I'll have some break from college (:

Today I did a study, but spent too much time figuring out what to do. I'll try to spend my mornings sketching on my trad sketchbook to see if I can come up with some good ideas to develop trough the day... so the studies are more focused on a specific painting... doing this aimlessly is bothering me.

[Image: 16_07_13_man_skin_study_by_mateusrocha-d6dsta9.jpg]

And here's from imagination, I think I spent 1 hour or so.. maybe I'll develop it further in the future.

[Image: 16_07_13_random_war_by_mateusrocha-d6dst9t.jpg]

Well, I wanted to paint a kind of african shaman today, so I tought of studying african males.

It was hard to find reference. I spent a lot of my time today doing so. Finally, I found a good one with more blueish skin tone that was my goal.

Also, I spent a lot of time painting it because it is so much different from the usual skin tone.. learned a lot with these!

[Image: 17_07_13_african_study_by_mateusrocha-d6dyciq.jpg]

[Image: 17_07_13_african_portrait_by_mateusrocha-d6dycj5.jpg]

Hey there. If you have trouble drawing faces I suggest you read Andrew Loomis - Drawing the Head and Hands
And work hard ofc! :)

Nice stuff recently dude. The memory studies are getting better with each one. They're so tough lol, impressive stuff. Keep it coming :D

hampton teaches faces very well too, as well as chris legaspi on his stream there are some useful videos on the face

http://www.scribd.com/doc/65112076/Micha...-Invention

try studying skulls too! your rendering is looking good, work more on the drawing part imo.
@crackedskull: thanks!! I'll be looking some Loomis books soon (:

@JakeB: yooo Jake! :D thanks a lot dude!!

@Fedodika: thanks for the link! I'll be looking forward to that!

Here's something from yesterday I forgot to post.. did some Burne Hogarth studies and some photo studies of torsos.

[Image: 19_07_13_hands_studies_by_mateusrocha-d6eanih.jpg]

[Image: 19_07_13_torso_practice_by_mateusrocha-d6eanig.jpg]

These are all for a upcoming piece I'm planning (:

Sweet start to a sketchbook here dude, your stuff looks very promising. The studies and application seem to be working well for you too as there are already signs of improvement.

Anatomy is hard as fuck to get right but you seem to be heading in the right direction. Keep it up man!

@Warburton: maaan, thanks a lot for your words! and I do agree about the anatomy, haha

Here's the piece I've been working.. it didnt turn out how I planned but, oh well (: got some visits for the weekend and that destroyed my schedule.. so no studies D:

[Image: 21_07_13_shamannn_by_mateusrocha-d6eijr8.jpg]

Sorry for the lack of updates. I was working on my final for Typography... but now its winter break o/

Here's some studies and 1 application of it. I'm doing more landscapes now

[Image: 29_07_13_enviro_studies_by_mateusrocha-d6fx23w.jpg]

[Image: 30_07_13_enviro_studies_by_mateusrocha-d6fx20x.jpg]

[Image: 29_07_13_enviro_practice_by_mateusrocha-d6fx25i.jpg]

Nice updates man, loving these environments and I want to see mooooooooore of them!! ;p

keep hammering those studies and mind stuff mate, it all pays off in the end. I love watching people grow and progress like yourself.

Great progress. I like the dude in the helmet but he looks like he is falling back or he's just mr. cool leaning against the wall

Hey man. I have to agree, really nice progress, i particularly like your enviro studies, i should do more of that myself. You going through Hogarth? Have you tried Bridgman? Keep on rockin those studies

Aaahhh Blushing

Thanks guys (: It really means a lot! And maann, enviros are hard! Maybe because I don't practice them as much as characters.

@Wils: I did some Bridgman in the past, but felt his drawings are very minimalistic, in my opinion is more to get the gesture and movement rather than the anatomy and proportions. Maybe I'll try some again (:

Well, I'm in vacations at my home town and I'm spending my time drawing in pencils, trying to improve line and form. When I get back to my College town I'll scan some and post here.

Here's a doodle in photoshop to chill a bit.

[Image: 15_08_13_face_psd_by_mateusrocha-d6iaf2h.jpg]

Ok, I'm back from my hometown finally! I don't know but, in that town, there is a kind of aura that makes people lazy I think hahaha

I practiced a lot of pencils when I was there, here's a couple from imagination

[Image: 30.08.13+sketch+jam.jpg]

And I was also planning on doing a painting my mom wants, did this, but never touched it again..

[Image: 19.08.13+enviro+practice.jpg]

And I got a little excited to do some Dota 2 set designs, I put like.. 8 or 9 hours into searching about 3d and its hard as hell. Maybe I'm come back to it soon. Thus I made this unfinished Medusa

[Image: 01.09.13+medusa.jpg]

I also joined the Daily Spitpaint group on FB. Very interesting topics there!

[Image: 05.09.13+killer+spaghetti.jpg]

And back to basics, a loose sketch

[Image: 06.09.13+warlock.jpg]

I'm doing a series of kind of priestess (:

[Image: 09.09.13+priestess.jpg]

[Image: 25.09.13+priestess.jpg]

And THIS, omg, i really liked how the skin turned out, I just can't figure the base color I used, argh.

[Image: 24.09.13+random.jpg]

I'm trying to lossely draw things and paint them now, no worries or whatsoever. Also I'm trough a existence crysis, very afraid of the future. Booo.

i have a fun suggestion; study boobies! some of your ladies bosoms seem crooked or not hanging on the torso correctly; remember they aren't just circles, they have a shape and droop to them!
@fedodika: maan, thanks a lot for your suggestion (: I'll do it! Maybe my wrong boobies are results of years practicing trough anime tutorials :(

I've been doing only personal pieces and sketches lately, I'll come back with some studies soon.

[Image: 26.09.13+demon.jpg]

[Image: 04.10.13+sketch2.jpg]

[Image: 04.10.13+sketch3.jpg]

[Image: 04.10.13+sketch4.jpg]

[Image: 08.10.13+archer.jpg]

Keep it up. Loving the loose sketch and the pen sketches, if youre struggling with forms learn from Vilppu. As for proportions Loomis is the way to go.