Tyger sketches
Looking good! Now you gotta follow up that lighting application with study into the structure of the hand. Though I'd personally recommend that you work on combining basic boxes, cylinders, spheres etc before tackling really complex forms. Doing basic figures is a good way to approach this, but if you don't feel confident with that, stick to basic forms.

Wireframing can be a really good way to develop your knowledge of form, if you haven't tried that.

Nice Value studies! Thanks for making me remember about the Value comparison card as I'm going into values myself.

As for the simplified hand, I did the position the hand is in and much more information comes up that could be expressed for example the knuckles, I understand that it is simplified but these things add a bit more depth. I would recommend subtly shading in the under lying bone structure to give it more depth at least in the shadows.

Also a tip that helped me with hands is that the top (opposite the palm) of the hand will show the bone structure more so it will be sharper than the bottom which will be more curved. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the input guys! I'm learning that shaky form equals shaky rendering! So more form and anatomy work...

I have the arm and hand anatomy slated for when I finish the torso.  In the meantime, I did about two dozen pages of beans, then I'll do robo beans in preparation for obliques.

Sketchbook

I tried out painting for the first time in forever, just for fun.  I learned that next time I should choose a reference with simpler/clearer planes--the forms are really unclear, and I didn't really know how to draw them.  Also, I get totally lost in grays and darker colors.  But it was a nice change.

Reference:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/spodzone/2...otostream/  by "ShinyPhotoScotland"

Sketchbook

I did 2-3 robo bean attempts per pose, for 10 poses. This was tougher than the bean.  I definitely need to more before obliques.

Sketchbook

I don't recommend drawing on lined paper for one particular reason you want to be able to draw freehanded without any form of premade guideline.

When you don't draw on lined paper you learn to control the proportion and angle and you learn to visually measure with negative space and you learn to do you own guideline.

It not a must but if you use lined paper you will probably find that you have trouble in the digital media.

Drawing on blank paper is about building confidence in you own ability to draw on any type of paper at anytime you won't probably have lined paper all the time so it best to just be able to draw on a blank paper.The only thing that lined paper teach us is that we can create guideline if we feel it needed

Here what i propose if you have still problem with angle.

On a blank sheet of paper

Find the four corner of the page using a ruler(30cm atleast) and draw a pair diagonal that cross to the opposing corner of that page.Do that on the left and right side.

One you have 2 diagonal crossing you will find that the intersection fall in the middle of the page from there you can create a verticale and horizontal guide

This is particularly useful when you have a limited space to draw on but is also useful in the digital media but there is a guide option for that.

This is not a critique but an advise.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(03-16-2018, 07:44 AM)darktiste Wrote: I don't recommend drawing on lined paper for one particular reason you want to be able to draw freehanded without any form of premade guideline.
Thank you for the advice!  Oddly, I didn't really want the lines.  I was just drawing on lined paper so I wouldn't have to fill a sketchbook of nice-ish paper with a zillion beans and robo beans!  :)  I should probably use blank copy paper for this kind of stuff though.  Who knows what bad habits could crop up?

Sketchbook

Great work Tygerson! About the latest painting, I think you are right about clearer planes, It will make it easier for you to see and understand the reference image and apply it to your study.

Also I think it is better if you try to paint the image as it is, don't change the objects from the reference, like the tree is a bit different. Paint it as it is to understand the subject and then, if you want, you can make it your own style after your done with the study.

Also a crop of the whole image is fine, but be careful to not crop to much, be smart about composition. It is a bit narrow, on this link they explain quite a lot about composition which you can use in your paintings and drawings: https://www.boredpanda.com/guide-to-phot...o-carroll/

I hope this helps, and keep up the good work, you are getting better and better! :)

You really doing awesome work on anatomy study. It really show improvement. keep it up. :)

Also i do like that landscape painting you did there. Just a thought and I hope it helps, if using reference, try to capture the bigger shape first. Ignore small shape. So you won't be overwhelmed by where to start to draw on complicated landscape photo reference.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Devianart

Sketchbook

Instagram

Artstation