Tyger sketches
Hey, nice updates. I like the drape studies and those little heads. Only complaint I have is that the drape feels rushed. It's always good to focus on your studie and don't rush it. You'll learn more. Side of that. Good job!

Heey, going to agree with Ram-bam, great updates! I like what you did with the lemons. It's fun to see when you experiment and try to move forward. It'll pay off! :D
You mentioned that you wanted to observe the planes of the head and I think you could delve deeper into that realm! Try using more geometrical shapes for and really simplify what you see.

These are great to study beforehand, just so you have some guidelines of what to look for in when you observe in real life;
http://www.mediafire.com/?6a4gu147t4lmc4f

Haha before I read what you wrote I was going to say the anatomy of that dress is a bit off. But if its a baby one then that makes a lot of sense.

I find that skull studies help me see the planes of the face. since a lot of the plane changes are due to underlying bone, this really helps to see the planes when the face is covered in flesh.

Nice updates :)

Keep going ! focus on cleaning up those lines and edges

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
-Lao Tzu

Blog | Sketchbook | dA
I must say I'm suprised. You made so much progress in so little time, but I'm glad to see that you are taking studies seriously and actually going deep into them and thinking about everything you do and why are things the way they are. Keep up like that and always remember to have fun =)

CD dA FM  MaL
Some planes of the head studies like bjulvar suggested, with different lightings. I spent a number of hours cleaning up edges on the first like heavenwill pointed out I should work on. (The second was just left sketchy.) While sketching, I checked skulls, other head angles, and a mirror.

Studying these heads gave me a new perspective that skull studies alone lacked. It was cool--I started seeing these planes on real people!

I also plan to study two different lightings for a profile and three quarters view.

Other light angle:

Sources

From here:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthr...p?t=265488
http://kuhlbrodt-zeichnen1.blogspot.com/...-kopf.html

Sketchbook

Keep up the hard work! those studies are looking good

Another facial planes study:

And a question. Some of the edges had a dark rim on the edge between lighter and darker planes (like a core shadow), and some didn't. Why is that? Do they just not turn away from the light enough? Examples from the reference image:

Whole reference from http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthr...p?t=265488

Sketchbook

Woah, good eye! That's a real puzzler about the edges, definitely let us know if you figure it out.
Studies are looking good, can't wait to see how you apply what you're learning from them.

Those heads are great. It seems this excercise can be very benefitial. I think we see it true power when you go and apply those studies into your personal work. Awesome stuff keep it up!

Nice studies! I'll attempt to answer your question, though this is only what I have deduced through my studies. I believe it is a core shadow, the reason for this is because core shadows only appear when the surface is perpendicular to the light source. On the two examples you pointed out, both go into definite shadow, the one of the side of the head is the best example of this since it has less reflected light. The one in the ear, the only reason it is not as dark as the plane facing away on the back of the head is for this reason, the reflected light, which is actually fairly strong.
As for the ones without a core shadow, this is the part I am not 100% sure on and would love someone to confirm it, is that the side of the head isnt actually in shadow, its the half tone. Because that plane of the head and the planes aroudn the lips, are still (JUST) facing towards the light source, the reason they are darker is because of the obtuse angle they are when compared the the light source, so while they are darker than those in direct like, they aren't yet the shadow side of the face..

Incase that doesnt make sense I did a quick drawing.
There are three sections I am talking about. (Sorry they are backwards..
C: Receives a 1:1 ratio of light, where is the width of the plane receives the same width of light rays.
B: Because it is turned slightly, receives a 1:1.2 maybe ratio of light, so for the same amount of light as plane C, it has to be spread over 1.2 times the space.
A: Because it is turned a lot, but still facing forward, it receives a ratio of 1:2, maybe even 1:3. So for the same amount of light as Plan C, it has to cover two or three times the area.

This then means that A isnt actually in shadow, but is still one of the light planes of the face, even though when compared to B and C it looks like it is.

Where as from the top view, D, is your shadow side since it is facing away from the light and between D and C is where the core shadow will be.

That was a really long explanation and I have no idea whether it even answered the question >.>

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the helpful comments! I'll reply in your sketchbooks.

Okay guys, I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I'm finally seeing a trend in the comments--do some imagination work! So here is the start of something. I've never really designed a character, but kind of had in mind a persian-lady-Robin-Hood.

I sort of made a "paper doll" to start trying out costumes. I'm not really sure how to draw the legs, esp the knees. And looking at it again, I realize I forgot all about working a quiver into the design. I'm also now less fond of the total head and face cover. So it's a start, but needs a lot of changes.

Ref is olympic archer:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonw92/7700126764/

Also looked at various belly dance skirts, archery sites, veil styles, and such.

Sketchbook

Hey, nice design sketches ;)

I think the design looks promising! Why not do 10 or 5 variations of it? :-) I just looked thru your SB and I see so many beautiful paint studies, you should go and apply that stuff, even if it looks "bad" at first.. I think you could really go crazy and have a little fun with what you have learned already, which is a lot!
Cheers!

So I have no visual library or fashion sense yet, so I studied a bunch of belly dance costumes for style inspiration. Here are the shapes and patterns I saw over and over. I just used these shapes all over:

Some more archer designs. I don't really like the "paper doll." The legs seem super weirdly proportioned, but I don't know why. Ditched the veil--it would get in the way of the bow string.

Sketchbook

Nice stuff :) Good to see you doing some imagination work.
On the first Monday of Feb, me and Lyra are doing Bloodsports 2, we will make a thread etc. You should join us. It forces you to study AND do a personal piece over two weeks :) Would be good to see you partaking in it. It's still a while away though :)
Keep up the good work and thanks for commenting in my SB :)

Cool stuff! Do you have reference for that pose? That would certainly help with your leg troubles. I think the leg closest to us would be in more of a front view, it might help to add the inner leg muscles to the silhouette

Hi Tygerson

Sorry I haven't visited your sb yet, thanks for your lovely comment in mine. :)

I am impressed with your studies, I don't do enough and you've inspired me to be a bit more diligent. The last design is lovely, I like the idea, I agree with Samszym about her leg. As for costume designs, I always love to look at Rachel Brice, her belly dancing costumes are so much more imaginative than the usual ones. (and her tumblr page is quite interesting :))

Just to answer why that dark rim is there. Simple.

It's just the bounce light from the cheek. The reason why the edge is darker is that the edge is where the small radius of the corner is turning away from the bounce light. These things are modelled with clay so that means the edges of the planes aren't perfectly sharp.

Btw core shadow is a term that doesn't really mean what people think it means. It isn't the dark area between the bounce light and the lit areas. No it just means when there is an area where none of a particular light source is touching it. I blame every example image ever that seems to label it like that though...
[Image: sxxFE.jpg]

Those planar studies are great btw.

Jaik... what you said is goobeldy gook. Simplify your lighting knowledge down mang. I'd recommend stop talking about lighting in terms of tones and half tones. It just confuses the situation, those are talks of technique, not about how lighting works.
Just to pimp my own shit... I'm slowly writing a no bullshit lighting tutorial. Check it out in the tutorial section.

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
maybe its hard to tell where to place the kneecap-maybe a little longer? (for being oddly proportioned?) its suppose to go down 4 head lengths by loomis from the pubic bone, or 5 1/2 cranial units by Hale-the rest look fine to me. I need to do a planer study as well! I dig the designs!

...THAT guy! XD