Weekly VLB - 7: Drapery
Visual Library Building Exercise 7: Drapery

Drapery. Dreaded drapery, I swear, if someone told me that drawing a table cloth in the afternoon sun could help me draw an awesome wizard I would.. I would... have called them a... ummm.... a... liar! (damnit, that was supposed to be creative and witty. Sorry, its late =/ )

But, alas poor yorrick it is true. A poor knowledge of draper undermines everything we do as illustrators and concept artists.. I struggled with it twice! TWICE in the last week. No one is immune to its spiteful grasp, unless your characters wear nothing but skin.. But as soon as you give him a cape (even a cape made out of skin, one of the more disturbing visual images) BAM drapery back in action.

So this week I'll be climbing in yo windows, snatching up yo drapery.. So yo need to hide yo curtains, hide yo bed sheets....

So my goal this week is to do it in the least amount of strokes possible (efficiency) and implying form (value, I think...). I recommend doing it from life, but a couple of fashion studies would not go astray. If all else fails, get in your dressing gown and post in a mirror and see how the different points of tension at different points in the body effect the clothes.

Build a short hand for pants, shirts, capes (including skin variety), hats, underclothes, what ever. (There's the link to Visual library building incase people miss that, it makes sense in my head)

---

And the boring stuff I will include with every post so that new comers don't have to go searching:
- Each week I will come up with a topic, it can be anything from boots to machinery.
- Find some images to study, but don't just copy them, maybe do some technical drawings, take written notes (I'm not asking you to write an essay, just things worth noting), some specific detail and generally just get a better idea about a topic.
- I think I'm going to put a new one up each Monday (NB: My time, Sunday for the western world.)
- It's not a competition, its really just about sharing knowledge, one person may pick up an interesting detail or a keen observation than another person may have missed. Just building the number of visual cues that can be extrapolated to design something interesting and new when necessary.
- One last thing, the drawings do NOT have to be pretty finished renderings. A quick sketch of a building façade with details marked and notes will have just as much use as a beautifully rendered copy of a photograph. The point is the content and thought behind it, not how well you can render.

P.S. Sorry if I sound like a raving lunatic, this is fairly normal for me but I am too tired to conceal it this time.. Also if you didn't get the reference for why I'm climbing in yo windows (link)

Again, great topic, and one I have neglected for far too long.

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
fast study. I never before tried draw from life on cintiq, it have actually pretty long cable xD

That's looking great Madzia, I like how you create some focus and let the other parts melt into the background!

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
Man, these are so good!

Really nice life drawing Madzia, do you have one of the big cintiq's? Seems like it would be a hassle. how did you find it? If I had time I was going to do one on my iPad and see how it turned out lol.

Lyraina. Great stuff, i like the cloak with no one in it xP

Heres mine, didnt draw anything from life :( should have but had a bit of a bludge week lol..

[Image: 130624-3.jpg]

Awesome work everybody, drapery is such a great subject to observe light and shadows. This challenge made me realize I certainly need to draw more from life :D
(06-24-2013, 02:53 PM)Jaik Wrote: Really nice life drawing Madzia, do you have one of the big cintiq's? Seems like it would be a hassle. how did you find it? If I had time I was going to do one on my iPad and see how it turned out lol.
It's Cintiq 12", it's heavy but not unwieldy that much xD I tried convince myself to iPad but drawing without pen pressure is such a pain! :(

great job everyone....maz looking especially nice
Without pen pressure really does suck, its my main reason I dont like iPad drawing, I think its everyones main reason actually.... lol

I did some more drapery because everyone else was lookin so purrty with theres.
[Image: 130701-5.jpg]