Mayenla's Sketchbook, The Long Hard Road to Mediocrity.
Hey man good your givin it a bash.

A few pointers while studying Lord Sir Loomis is to make sure you got 9 lines down perfectly before drawing over it. Don't bullshit it make sure you aim for the correct horizontal line so you get that 8 head thing down.

Also make sure you dont draw infinate lines. You should try and get the proper line directly, and not end up with multiple lines saying the same thing.

gl
Ohh you've got some nice studies in here! Keep on busting them ouuuuut! :P

Don't really know what advice to give, so just gonna mention the basics : value, anatomy, color, composition :)
@Yarrnick - Thanks, I'm working on another set of detailed mannequin drawings, getting all the lines down correctly!

@Othrandir - Cheers, thanks I look forward to getting into some of the other basics :)

I got inspired to do some sketching:

Need to get back to those studies though!

Latest sketch, anyone nerdy enough to know what it's from? :)

Trying to improve my digital painting skills a bit:

Orc update, I think I'll move on from this now :P

(11-19-2013, 04:29 PM)Mayenla Wrote: Latest sketch, anyone nerdy enough to know what it's from? :)

Firefly?

I like the gun sketch, it feels like you could reach into the sketchbook and pluck it out.

Also like the glowing dragon tattoo.

Good mix of imagination and study. Keep it up!

Sketchbook

Well would you look at that, over 8 months have passed and drawing-wise I have very little to show for it. I had gotten in a pretty bad habit with xbox on my desk and it was just easier to turn it on and have a game than to practice drawing, so I've packed away and removed the distractions which will hopefully mean much more productivity!

So to continue on from before, here's some more Loomis Studies:

It's exciting getting to the muscle groups overlay as I can now see and start to understand how they sit on the body and how the bones effect their shape. Exciting :)

Working on a concept piece between studies, going to leave it tonight and make any adjustments in the morning before starting to color:

EDIT: Already tweaked his neck/right shoulder:

Considering this one done:

It was definitely a fun process and I think I'll be doing it some more in the future, but for now back to studies!

Hey man, welcome back!
Be careful when you do lineart, you do not want the line width to be the same all around, you can change the strenght to show volume and lighting. Check out Wesley Burt's linework, he's pretty amazing at it.
Keep it up.

More Loomis studies as I slowly start to learn the proportions

EDIT: Was in a rush last night to post and completely forgot to reply to you Rafa. Thanks a lot for the artist suggestion, you're right; his line art and art in general is just fantastic, I'm now following him on tumblr :)

More Loomis Studies, I feel that things are starting to click.. But then a pose will completely throw me off and I can't work out what's wrong!

These are pretty fun :)

Dig that orc you did up there, he has such a nice weightiness to him, like any good orc should have! Also sweet to see you going strong with those Loomis studies. Don't forget to apply his methods to figures from imagination tho, don't just copy the ones you see in the book! Keep fighting the good art fight!

Thanks Adzerak, I'll definitely have to do a batch from imagination, had a couple on pen and paper but havent scanned them in :)

Not too much to show atm, been working on a simple html5 game, here's the character:

And a very rough run cycle:

Some Loomis study-dumps to come!

Been working on my digital art, going to try and render this guy with a line-art/comic style:

The rough lineart is down, I've enlarged and will be doing a 2nd cleaner pass over the top. Any feedback for anatomy issues or tips are welcome before I start the 2nd pass in the morning :)

Looking solid man! Keep going!

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
Nice line art, seriously. Good job. Anatomically, nothing really sticks out. Keep bringing it out here and hopefully we can all help. Grin

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
@Muzz & Bookend - Thanks guys!

Okay here's what I managed to get done today: