Beard Clippings
More heads and some scruffy spaceships

[Image: 11r3dz9.jpg]

[Image: 2ziqwpy.jpg]

I agree, 2014 seems to be the biggest year for you so far. Excited to see what you're making by the end of 2015 ! Nice work with tackling heads, Keep it up :)
That Rex wizard is just awesome man! Love it! And overall you doing awesome job here, keep rocking!

Thanks ben! I really hope by the end of 2015 I'll be able to live off freelancing or at least have a decent income from it. First I gotta get some jobs and maybe an actual portfolio lool

Thanks caisne! It was a lot of fun to do. Dave's tutorial was very informative for 5 bucks

Some more work.
A food dog sketch before bed;

A quick face study and a longer one. Every once in a while, I like to spend a long while copying a photograph as closely as I can, just to see how my observation skills have changed. I normally don't recommend doing this as an actual study, it's more as a benchmark to make note of change.I used to spend 18-20 hours on a single face, and not even come close to getting it right. Now i can spend 2 hours and get a good result, or 5-6 hours to get a very accurate result. It's still not 100% perfect but its close enough for me. The challenge now is to translate that into imagination work!

Some perspective work and applying the basic values
And some ship sideviews with simple renderings, applying some more juicy matte surface knowledge! Unfortunate that the scan isn't so great, but oh well

[Image: 1zo9q38.jpg]

[Image: 2afd91j.jpg]

[Image: 2v2b7m9.jpg]

[Image: 357lw5j.jpg]

[Image: aze6i9.jpg]

Hey man, you've got some sweet digs here, haha. Grin Really awesome amount of improvement and progression as you move along through your sketchbook-- You should be proud. Keep pushing it to the limits!

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Hey. Great sketchbook.

You got some pretty organic way of making brush marks. Make sure you don't loose that as you progress. There might be some potential in that direction.

Keep going! :)
@Bookend, thanks man. It's very satisfying to see the improvement and know that I struggle a lot less than I used to. Makes me feel like I've accomplished something, but I try not to let it get to my head so I don't slack off

@Farvus Thanks! I want to achieve a sort of sketchy look like mullins in the future. There's a long way to go still but I think I'm on the right track. Its quite hard to have something look nice and still maintain a good deal of texture and looseness

Bit more on the car thing. Realized there wasn't a whole lot to actually render here and ended up spending an obscenely long amount of time on the wheels and they still look like shit!

[Image: 34y7ofo.jpg]

Did an anatomy sketch for practice and realized I struggle a lot with breasts, so i did some studies. Also realized I don't have a lot of nude female reference that doesnt have their arms up in the air lol

[Image: mrrepe.jpg]
[Image: 10zr404.jpg]
[Image: 4hz2bs.jpg]
[Image: k1tlbb.jpg]

And one from imagination
[Image: 16hsv3k.jpg]

Lastly someone on twitter a while ago said ornstein vs penetrator would be cool, so i started sketching it out. Not sure if I'm going to take it in this direction, its tougher than I thought to have a fight scene where both figures are given more or less equal importance!
[Image: kale2h.jpg]

Hey folks, slowed down on art a bit over the holidays to spend some time with human beings, and took a little break from social media and it was very nice. I also resolved to not start the day by "catching up" with the world on the internet which saves a bunch of time in the morning

Landscape sketch of some overcast rocks, and a more colourful one

[Image: 24qkc9h.jpg]
[Image: 2dtvh3c.jpg]

Took the study application from last post and brought it a bit further

A dragon sketch

[Image: icpb2d.jpg]

Some portraits from memory, the first one somewhat quick and the others I spent more time on

[Image: 2lswfua.jpg]
[Image: 2i858w.jpg]
[Image: 2lblvnc.jpg]

Movie still study
[Image: 20iv09v.jpg]

And one similar from imagination afterwards
[Image: 121bqxl.jpg]

and something that started as a sketch and got carried away with. Not sure if I should have the orb of light or not. It makes the lighting more clear, but I find it distracting in the big picture
[Image: m7dvo8.jpg][Image: 29zd85w.jpg]

Felt like getting back into line art a bit Shock I left some of them at the second pass so they're a bit sketchy still

Awkward camel, some skulls from mixed between photos/imagination, a spaceship thing with simple rendering, the merchant chow which i started too late and a study from my second favourite movie Once Upon a Time in America. Some more portraits from memory, trying not to fix too many mistakes to see where I'm still making them. Also pushed the green forest lady a bit more. I think I'm going to redo the characters completely, any thoughts?

[Image: 359n8k9.jpg]

[Image: zl1y0o.jpg]

[Image: 1envpu.jpg]

[Image: 2qbss4h.jpg]

[Image: of644l.jpg]

[Image: v8iyol.jpg]

[Image: iozp0p.jpg]

[Image: zaah0.jpg]

[Image: ae2tqe.jpg]

[Image: 21l5sgy.jpg]

The recent updates look great. That memory painting of the lady in profile looks almost exactly the same as the referenced version!

(01-14-2015, 08:06 AM)Adam Lina Wrote: The recent updates look great. That memory painting of the lady in profile looks almost exactly the same as the referenced version!

Haha thanks, it's one thing to be able to duplicate something immediately after having studied it, it's another thing doing it completely off the top of your head. Sadly I'm not yet capable of doing that, as some of these portraits show lol

I'm working on it, but it often feels like I'm spreading myself too thin. I like all the discplines of illustration/concept art (vehicles, landscapes, figures, creatures etc) but I rarely focus down on one and really slug it through. Not sure if that's a good thing or if I should focus in on one thing a little more to get some expertise in it, rather than be a generalist.

The struggle with heads continues! Except this time, I woke the fuuuuk up and realized I was probably severely slowing my progress down by doing a painting each and every time I sat down to study something. Instead of learning about structure, anatomy and shapes, I had to do all that AND make sure the form read and felt somewhat rendered. As you probably know that can take quite a while, which in turn meant that I couldn't do as many studies.

So i decided to work in line, doing cross contour, so I can still work out the forms but can spend a lot less time rendering and focus on anatomy and shapes. And, in my opinion, I think there is a more noticeable improvement between the studies and the ones from imagination. Still lots to be done though, studies are far from perfect, imagination work isn't quite there yet, but I think it's a better step towards my goals than before, doing one or two studies in a day.

Some stuff from imagination that made me change my study habits
[Image: 2ln7bs5.jpg]

From photos
[Image: 98sigm.jpg]
[Image: 2vdrwoh.jpg]

From imagination and/or memory
[Image: a40qah.jpg]
[Image: 2m28dud.jpg]

I also did some studies of wolfs to use in the sketch up there
[Image: av05u1.jpg]

From imagination. It's really hard making wolves not look angry :<
[Image: xeg6s7.jpg]

Your improvement is incredible i need to get to work lol cant wait to see more :)

Really like that dragon sketch you did up there! It's got such a meaty feeling to it, the brush strokes build up the form nicely, almost feels like you could touch it. You're progressing really nice over all, I guess I just have a soft spot for paintings that look kinda sculpty like that, if you know what I mean. Keep delivering on that! ;D

@desirulz:Thanks! I could be doing more work I think. i really don't do that much compared to a lot of other people, here and elsewhere

@Adzerak: Thank you! And yea I hear ya; I really like textured and organic looking paintings so I'm working towards getting that feeling. I think there's a long way to go to get there but I enjoy the journey! Someday I'll look back on this and think man what was I thinking but for now I love doing it

Not a whole to show today, been a bit of a rough week. Most of what I did is in my real sb but even then there's not a whole a lot.

Some lineart and basic rendering, some medieval peasant fashion studies and also reworked the piece from the other post. Still going to redo the wolf and far from finished but I like the direction its going in now

Also started making an actual portfolio website rather than fuckin deviantart, so I decided to rework some old pieces to make them more consistent with my new stuff. Probably be done with that in a few days!

[Image: 2m9s75.jpg]

[Image: mhf68i.jpg]

[Image: 243j32q.jpg]

[Image: 2i6lw9f.jpg]

A colour study in progress and an update on the last piece. Decided to change a bunch of things in the overall design. Think im gonna rework the wolf again and Still got lots to do on it! any feedback is appreciated

[Image: 2ia8mc5.jpg]

[Image: 1zydm9y.jpg]

From a photo
[Image: 2i7r5m1.jpg]

From Life
[Image: j0k5fa.jpg]

Revisiting one of my first paintings. How things have changed!
[Image: b6szg4.jpg] [Image: 25kone8.jpg]

And the finished version. Any critiques are welcome
[Image: 2edbb6x.jpg]

Some studies

[Image: 2ryhvso.jpg]

[Image: 2eofb13.jpg]

[Image: 2d1l8qv.jpg]

[Image: 21k9zit.jpg] [Image: 24gunwh.jpg]

[Image: juthc5.jpg]

[Image: 2qmkqhk.jpg] [Image: 2jfek93.jpg]

And a wip. Overcast is the bane of my existance!

[Image: ehjdzc.jpg]

omfg these brushstrokes in your studies are so sexy <3

Overcast is the bane of your existence?! We must absolutely wreck that weakness!!!

Did you a quick paintover:

So basically, remember that the colour of clouds/the sky etc is super sneaky >_> if you were to study master paintings from N.C Wyeth, Bierstadt and all those bebz, you'd realise there's a lot more colour to a cloudy day.

What I did in this paintover was paint a slightly saturated warm yellow base and then add the blue tinge you'd find in overcast weather on a new layer
(hence why when I colour picked, there are hints of blue/blue-greens)

I'm not the best at articulating what I mean, but I hope I could help out at least a little bit!

Take what you will from these 2 cents and let's keep trying to get better :D

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Thanks smrr! I'm trying to work on my weaknesses at the moment, comfort zone is getting boring. I used to always be like this with weakness

[Image: tumblr_mjcfbjIQte1qi0t5fo6_r2_500.gif]

And I get what you're saying about the colours (thanks for the overpaint by the way!) But actually the image is supposed to be in grayscale lol, I tossed in a few photos to see the colour of the sky and just left that in colour if that makes sense. You are right about the colours though. I think the colours you picked look better than what I went with after taking a break from it. I've done a handful of overcast thingies in the past and they tend to be very grey and flat regardless. Any paintings in particular you'd recommend looking at? I know Gurney and a lot of contemporary oil painters have a lot of nice overcast stuff, but i haven't really looked too much at old master's stuff in that regard

My problem with overcast is more the way the lighting/values works rather than the colours at this point. I studied a lot of hard lighting to learn form and now it's so engrained in my mind I can't seem to distance myself from it, even in studies :( Sometimes overcast things don't even look like they're receiving light at all which just totally baffles me