Critique/Paintover welcome
Hello people i'm new to this forums. So i'm an pretty much beginning artist and i have this piece were i'm proud of but there are some things i want to improve, because i can see it's far from perfect. The problem is that i can't seem to identify the flaws within the piece. So i hope some of you people can help me out, I would be very grateful.

[Image: anchimayen_fallen-goblin.jpg]

Thanks in advance!
I feel that the asymmetry of the creature's head throws things off a little, as he's already oddly proportioned. It also may be easier to either remove the rock from underneath his head, or change the angle that we're seeing him from so it is easier to see how his head is resting on it.

Here's a quick adjustment of the proportions.

Attached Files Image(s)

What is it supposed to be? What are you trying to achieve with the image. I can't tell just by looking at it. There's not much point giving technical crit, when the purpose isn't clear. Sorry if it sounds abrupt...just trying to be quick. Cheers

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Nice looking rendering. Better than I could do :D I think your composition needs work though. His head is pretty much right in the middle which is a big no no. I suggest doing a lot of thumb nails before thinking about rendering. But before that you might want to do a bunch of quick master studies of composition just to get an idea of different comps to play around with. Quick as in a couple minutes tops to just block out the major shapes and values. I know the planning phase seems boring but its one of the most important steps to creating a compelling piece of art.

(12-24-2013, 03:57 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: Nice looking rendering. Better than I could do :D I think your composition needs work though. His head is pretty much right in the middle which is a big no no. I suggest doing a lot of thumb nails before thinking about rendering. But before that you might want to do a bunch of quick master studies of composition just to get an idea of different comps to play around with. Quick as in a couple minutes tops to just block out the major shapes and values. I know the planning phase seems boring but its one of the most important steps to creating a compelling piece of art.

Thanks for your comment! I didn't know the face in the middle thingy was such a no no, would it be better if i bring up the head a bit higher? I really want to get better at composing that's sure, do you may have a site where i can study this? Thanks.

Also to what SaidTheJoker pointed out, i was going for some cartoonistic feel but i guess if it looks odd to others i might have to change it to some more realistic proportions.

Anyway thanks both for your time and tips, i will try to give you guys an update before new years eve. :)
Hi guys, as you can see i didn't make the promised update date (because of school, work, etc.) But here is a little update. I've remodeled the shape of the face. Now i'm going to work on the composition.

Attached Files Image(s)

You should buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/Framed-Ink-Drawing...1933492953

It's all about composition and story telling. if you want to distort anatomy you'll need to find examples of things with distorted anatomy, like those cats that are born with one eye and such.

Certain elements of your image are too heavily rendered, like the leave over to the right and his mouth. I think your focus is to show this beaten and pained goblin dude. Bring focus to his eyes and use reference of a person in pain (people just hit really hard, athletes in pain on the field) Right now his mouth is drawing more attentions that his "face" which should be more of his eyes and expression.

Look up CG cartoon characters and see how animators and modeler change the character's proportions.

Livestream Crits/Paintovers: www.twitch.tv/mike086
Loomis Study videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mike086

My Facebook page: MCIII
(01-04-2014, 08:47 AM)Mike086 Wrote: You should buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/Framed-Ink-Drawing...1933492953

It's all about composition and story telling. if you want to distort anatomy you'll need to find examples of things with distorted anatomy, like those cats that are born with one eye and such.

Certain elements of your image are too heavily rendered, like the leave over to the right and his mouth. I think your focus is to show this beaten and pained goblin dude. Bring focus to his eyes and use reference of a person in pain (people just hit really hard, athletes in pain on the field) Right now his mouth is drawing more attentions that his "face" which should be more of his eyes and expression.

Look up CG cartoon characters and see how animators and modeler change the character's proportions.

Thanks for your tips Mike, i've ordered the book as you suggested.
Also i played a bit with the values to make the mouth and leave hope it worked out.
Other than that i refined the changes i made with the eye on the left. Hope you guys the changes.

Attached Files Image(s)