W.p The artist sin
[The artist sin

Comfort -lead to poor creativity lead to poor motivation
Solution:be Disciplined an work to achieve bigger goal,remember it ok to be uncomfortable that how you progress.

Sloth -Defined as a failure to be disciplined. Source Fear of Commitment or Fear of failure.
Solution:start small but start and don’t stop until it done.

Admiration can be a motivator it can also turn into jealousy which can lead to poor self-esteem.
Solution: avoid comparing yourself to other and be proud of what you do. Never be proud of something if it stop you from being able to take criticism.

Over-confident and under confident set you to think that you known everything or nothing.
Solution: never assume you know everything or that you can’t learn anything.Remember even a teacher as something to learn form the student.

Envy defined as an emotion triggered by contemplation or sloth can also be triggered by impatience.Envy is an emotion which "occurs when a person lacks another's superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it
Solution:Consult solution for sloth,impatience and admiration

(Gluttony]Impatient defined as to expect result in a unrealistic set of time which lead to low quality work. Other negative effect: Bad planning. Can also be cause by the Pressure to impress .
Solution:Start by learning to walk before you try to run.You do not have a time machine so do not rush yourself but push yourself in a healthy manner.

Overlooking basic skipping the fundamental can be cause by impatient, over-confident or pure ignorance of how important it can be.

Ignorance can lead to over-confidence or under confident.
Solution:In this day an age this should be easy to fix.Learn to ask pertinent question and to be skillful at seeking the right answers and do some research on the topic that motivate you to learn more.

Being Obsessively goal orientated can kill the fun it always good to have realistic goal and also to be able to dream but it always more adviced to work on the goal you have in a healthy manner the goal is only one part of all the fun you can have with there is also fun involve in the following task practicing, researching, studying and many more.
Solution:Try to achieve your goal but also cultivate your other hobby that can be transfer to your work and remember don't let your goal control your life always put yourself first.

Pride and money/b] should be the reward not the goal.

[b]Inconsistency
.People who suffer from Inconsistency tend to have problem developping there skill sometime going in long perior where there unable to maintain there skill sharp.This result in people feeling rusty and this can even prevent people from pick up where they left because of the sudden realisation there skill have not only not improve they have deteriorated.There also an other type of inconstency which is not being able to deliever the same level of finish as your expected to produce this lower your credibility toward those who are employing you and would point toward you having area that need to be rapidly fix to meet the standard

Solution: Keep praticing if you miss consistency don't give up.Be consistent on what matter.Limit the unnecessary.If your work is inconsistent try to find out why and what didn't meet the target.Remember to always deliever the quality that is expected of you and to work fundamental that are lagging behind.
“It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives. It's what we do consistently.”
― Anthony Robbins.

Perfectionism Defined as striving for flawlessness and setting excessively high performance standards, accompanied by overly critical self-evaluations and concerns regarding others' evaluations. It is best conceptualized as a multidimensional characteristic, as psychologists agree that there are many positive and negative aspects.In its maladaptive form, perfectionism drives people to attempt to achieve an unattainable ideal, and their adaptive perfectionism can sometimes motivate them to reach their goals. In the end, they derive pleasure from doing so. Perfectionist often fall in the people pleasing trap i also believe that perfectionism can be resulting from emotional injury from past failure.
Caution:Failure to achieve perfection for those who fall into neurotic Perfectinism could lead to depression,anxiety,procrastination.Try to see failure as leasson not as an habit.If failure drive you crazy i would advise you go see a therapist to help you solve and reorganize your life if necessary.

Solution:
Remember that self critism as to be constructive.Those who think they have unhealth perfectionism should strive to understand the root of there excessive behavior.Remember it ok to seek to be better each day.But remember that the mind and body have there own limit.It doesn't mean you can't break them it just mean that you have to learn when to stop or say no.

Workaholic Defined as a person who is addicted to work. Workaholics feel the urge of being busy all the time.
Working hard is a part of becoming a better artist but it does not mean being busy in a unhealthy way.

Solution:Recognize there is a time for everything there is time for work and for rest.By applying this concept you avoid burn out.You can always try to have hobby that you feel can be transferable to your work but that are not your actual work.Don't force yourself to have hobby that are transferable to your work sometime all you need to do to recharge your creative juice is to relax it might be even hard for you to relax than work but you should not feel guilt about it.

Hermitism Defined as a person who cut her self from any social interaction.Art need some form of social detachment but not all artist work alone and social skill are still something you should cultivate.
Creativity of any kind means spending a lot of time with yourself. In your head, in your work, in your office or studio.But this is can be psychologically dangerous leading to feeling of loneliness and hatred for social interaction and too extreme situation where you start having suicidal thought.

Solution:Take break and go see a friend, a family member or a coworker.Spending time with pet doesn't count because was you need is human interaction.

Here a few common error.

Not learning from the error you make You know what your doing wrong but somehow you don't act on it when it clearly what should be on your top priority.
Solution:Learn to listen to that voice you repress don't let that comfortable voice comfort you that you got better thing to do now.This inner voice will only get louder as you ignore it.

Ignoring constructive comment Someone as made constructive critism but you somehow refuse to change and persist in doing that are likely possible to change.
Solution:When good advise are made sometime it can be hard to see how to implement those change yourself it might seem like an impossible task.Just start and keep improving as you go don't let the problem cloud your judgement and if you don't find solution by yourself on how to implement those change look outside of yourself and see how people with similar problem have suceeded in solving there problem.

Mindlessly practicing without seeking feedback
People who leak direction can sometime have problem communicating there issue because they leak proper understanding of the vocabulary or they don't know where to find resource to help you in a constructive fashion.A leak of confidence can sometime lead to not being able to ask for help because of fear.

Solution:Pretty straight foward ask feedback often about thing you wish to improve and seek an establish method to work thoughfully and deliberately instead of repeating the same error over and over or practicing without a clear goal.
Self sabotage I think self sabotage steam from a leak of self confidence and perhaps the idea that you don't see yourself as someone who deserve sucess.

Last update 26-10-2020

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Update your sketchbook dude... don't be a sinner. ;)

Hey darktiste, good work, I rolled some 'sins' together because they were just aspects of each other. Basically it all sums up as "Be emotionally detached.".

Also added mantras to provide mnemonic aid. And to sound fuckin' sweeeeet.

The Artist's Sins

Sloth

Mantra: I am the creator and the destroyer.

- Defined as a failure to be disciplined. Source; attempting to protect yourself from the emotional harm caused by any failure to succeed. This protection prevents us from succeeding, and results in greater harm to the self.

Remedy; distract yourself from ineffective work by seeking an understanding of what is hindering you. Alternatively, play to your strengths for motivation, and gradually reinforce those areas at which you are weakest. Avoid specialization over long periods of time.

Mantra: I am the creator and the destroyer.

Envy

Mantra: I am the student, and these are my peers.

- Can be a motivator, although it can also generate poor self-esteem. This forces a self-protective mindset onto the artist and reinforces the dangers of Sloth.

Remedy; know that all artists must undergo trials of their skill and dedication, what we search for comes easily to none, and we must search for it alone.

Mantra: I am the student, and these are my peers.

Pride and Shame

Mantra: I am the endeavour. I end at completion.

- The isolation necessary for our studies instils false confidence, this leads to frustration when situations beyond our present capability defeat us.

Remedy; know that true excellence is the product of one of three things. Luck, specialization, or preparation. Recognize luck and specialization in others, and assure your own excellence with preparation. You do not succeed or fail, you dismiss and continue anew.

Mantra: I am the endeavour. I end at completion.
(02-18-2014, 07:45 AM)JJ Aaron Wrote: Update your sketchbook dude... don't be a sinner. ;)

i am not god héhé this is not a thread to make people feel bad .It just to point what we sometime don't want to see. Thx for the kick in the ass it really mean a lot to me

@Finnjamin
I don't believe in motivation really much it not a solid value it more of a rollercoaster.

Discipline forge a deeper long term way to achieve sucess

and i don't understand the part where you talk about specialization and luck

My Sketchbook
For me the number one sin of being an artist is:

To do art for an end goal, not for the love of doing art.

Bad reasons to do art:
1. To get a job as an artist
2. Notoriety, fame, the admiration of others
3. To spread a message
4. Money
5. Babes

The only reason to do art:
Because you enjoy the process of making art.

number 1. might seem odd to some as a bad reason to do art, but we all become so focused on the folio, what companies want, tailoring our work and practice and craft to this goal that it can overshadow everythingn and actually become a false goal. I realised this about myself recently, and decided to F* all that. Sure I can help myself get into a job doing it and it will be more satisfying than having some other job, but is that my reason for doing it? Hell no. So why do I spend so much effort on achieving the false goal when the real motivation gets shoved onto the wayside.

So I think by remembering the one true reason constantly I will stay truer to myself and my art will benefit.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
True. Getting a job doing art is nice, but if you don't actually LIKE doing art for it's own sake, then there's no point.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Nice thread <3

And yeah, enjoying the process seems to be the key - it lowers the frustration of everything else ten fold.

And oh, remember art is a cruel thing. You don't know you're bad at something until it's too late - you didn't even see it properly.
Then you realize that, then you need to learn to work around that and be confident in your work even after all the flaws you don't see yet.

It's... hard work.
Emotional detachment does the trick - but if you let it loose too much you lose interest too - doing your best stop being a goal. So there is balance even to that.

What Ursula said struck a cord with me. I've been too emotionally detached lately. I havnt lost sight of my end goal but my passion isnt there currently. I hadnt thought about the down side of over doing emotional detachment. Thanks for the great insight!

are you able to identify dippression, procrastination and a word that means that you always compare to your friends work or knowledge, like competition.

Follow your passion not your friends, They may have a cool life but its you in the end
CD
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4764.html
DA
http://worldwarstartii.deviantart.com/
Flickr:Photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
The 5 Sins Artists Should Be Aware of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZkKXqORN3g

lol it funny to see i am not being the only one to use the term artist sin.

My Sketchbook
Just adding more content to read from outside of what i said.If i wasn't shaming you enough to be a better version of yourself.

https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/7-s...-cms-25302

My Sketchbook