Can I get some critique/paintover?
Hey, how's you guys doing? I'm new here and now I'm kinda out of time to make a nice introduce of myself, so I'll be a little direct and just ask to what do you guys think, point out mistakes, ultimately give me some critique... And don't mind to be harsh or sometihing like that.
Thank you already!

[Image: chinese_chef_by_lookformeagain-d7az9d0.jpg]
Hi and welcome, just off the top of my head, there are a few tangents going on with the squids tentacles and the figure, also one with the apron. Some lines don't look as confident as others , did you rotate the canvas to get the best angle for your elbow to make the lines or twist your wrist to make some of them? I think the structure of the arms looks pretty good overall.

I think the apron instead of sticking to the figure (since he is jumping and slicing) could also be in motion a bit more.

I think you did a good job with the colours going for that sort of muted look but there could be a few more hue shifts to add more interest in places.

Hope that is of some help to you :)

(04-16-2014, 06:48 PM)JonHop Wrote: Hi and welcome, just off the top of my head, there are a few tangents going on with the squids tentacles and the figure, also one with the apron. Some lines don't look as confident as others , did you rotate the canvas to get the best angle for your elbow to make the lines or twist your wrist to make some of them? I think the structure of the arms looks pretty good overall.

I think the apron instead of sticking to the figure (since he is jumping and slicing) could also be in motion a bit more.

I think you did a good job with the colours going for that sort of muted look but there could be a few more hue shifts to add more interest in places.

Hope that is of some help to you :)

Hey, thank you very much! So, about rotating the canvas, I didn't do that, maybe the wrist had some twists... I kinda not remembered to consider the rotation, my bad. :(
The motion is something that I'm always trying to improve, thanks for the tip here too.
Now, about this hue shifts, I would like to ask for some more advices on that subject...
Thank you again, and I hope to get some more critiques!
Welcome! And nice drawing! I like your drawing style. Looks like you did some research on how squids really look here. I like the realistic look to them. The image is kind of comical despite the violent action going on (slaughtering of squid). Contradicting that action is the calming, light green background color. I'm not sure if squid blood is green or blue, but maybe consider darkening the green to get rid of that calm, spring-breeze feel (especially because those white stuff look like clouds). Or change the color to something else.

The color of the squids are very close to his skin, so they're blending in a lot. I'm having trouble finding a different hue that stands out from his skin and shirt, but at the same time won't get too close to the green background. Maybe colder yellow, or blue... or change the bg.

Did you also try having the background frame extend fully out on both sides? The spaces on either side are also unequal, is there a reason?

Attached Files Image(s)

Focus.
(04-17-2014, 01:01 PM)meat Wrote: Welcome! And nice drawing! I like your drawing style. Looks like you did some research on how squids really look here. I like the realistic look to them. The image is kind of comical despite the violent action going on (slaughtering of squid). Contradicting that action is the calming, light green background color. I'm not sure if squid blood is green or blue, but maybe consider darkening the green to get rid of that calm, spring-breeze feel (especially because those white stuff look like clouds). Or change the color to something else.

The color of the squids are very close to his skin, so they're blending in a lot. I'm having trouble finding a different hue that stands out from his skin and shirt, but at the same time won't get too close to the green background. Maybe colder yellow, or blue... or change the bg.

Did you also try having the background frame extend fully out on both sides? The spaces on either side are also unequal, is there a reason?

Hey man, to be honest the color of the bg was a bit spontaneous and because of the red and green complementary thing, but consider the mood that it bring to the image is really interesting. The blood of the squids actually is kinda a purplish hue and the color of the squids was similar to that one I use, I mean, in the reference and on little research I did, so I kinda, maybe, didn't feel confortable changing it... But I would consider changing it and try not to follow the reference to much. The bg size and the spaces from the side haven't a specific reason, like the colour, was kinda of spontaneous too.
But thanks for the ideas, and I will remember about colour and their moods often.
(04-17-2014, 03:09 PM)lookformeagain Wrote: Hey man, to be honest the color of the bg was a bit spontaneous and because of the red and green complementary thing, but consider the mood that it bring to the image is really interesting. The blood of the squids actually is kinda a purplish hue and the color of the squids was similar to that one I use, I mean, in the reference and on little research I did, so I kinda, maybe, didn't feel confortable changing it... But I would consider changing it and try not to follow the reference to much. The bg size and the spaces from the side haven't a specific reason, like the colour, was kinda of spontaneous too.
But thanks for the ideas, and I will remember about colour and their moods often.

When you construct an image try to keep every element purposed-ful. Anything there can be serving to build the image up, and sometimes when you're not mindful with them, you can accidentally do the opposite without realizing it.

As for following reference, they're crucial for grounds to build a piece on, but be wary of trying to be too true to fact/logic/realism. It can stealthily tie your creativity down like Gulliver. There is always room for interpretation unless you're doing science/medical illustration.

Regarding squids, many - not sure if all - species are capable of changing their skin colors and patterns on them with the blink of an eye. More interestingly it's not just for camouflage, but also for "talking" and signalling their mood - anger, predatory, fear, curious, challenging another male, etc. So in this case you can get away quite easily with "unusual" colored squids because in your piece they seem to be still alive. :)

Focus.
(04-17-2014, 10:07 PM)meat Wrote:
(04-17-2014, 03:09 PM)lookformeagain Wrote: Hey man, to be honest the color of the bg was a bit spontaneous and because of the red and green complementary thing, but consider the mood that it bring to the image is really interesting. The blood of the squids actually is kinda a purplish hue and the color of the squids was similar to that one I use, I mean, in the reference and on little research I did, so I kinda, maybe, didn't feel confortable changing it... But I would consider changing it and try not to follow the reference to much. The bg size and the spaces from the side haven't a specific reason, like the colour, was kinda of spontaneous too.

When you construct an image try to keep every element purposed-ful. Anything there can be serving to build the image up, and sometimes when you're not mindful with them, you can accidentally do the opposite without realizing it.

As for following reference, they're crucial for grounds to build a piece on, but be wary of trying to be too true to fact/logic/realism. It can stealthily tie your creativity down like Gulliver. There is always room for interpretation unless you're doing science/medical illustration.

Regarding squids, many - not sure if all - species are capable of changing their skin colors and patterns on them with the blink of an eye. More interestingly it's not just for camouflage, but also for "talking" and signalling their mood - anger, predatory, fear, curious, challenging another male, etc. So in this case you can get away quite easily with "unusual" colored squids because in your piece they seem to be still alive. :)

Thank you again man, valuable advice will always remember hereinafter. And information of the colour change of the squids was quite interesting too, I did just a image research but I guess I should have done a quick read about them... I'll keep that in mind too!

Thanks!