To infinity and beyooond
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo brother! Great work throughout : )

I think your study is pretty slick dude, the values are coming along. In my amateur opinion - just in case you can't see it yourself - what might be bothering you about it is his right arm holding the the handle; in the reference it's reaching forward but yours is stuck to his side - need to shift his shoulder across his body a little and overlap the arm over his left side. Just my thoughts anyway! It's looking sweet besides ^^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Thanks a lot Jyonny it means so much to me to get these kind of motivating comments from you all the time :) I struggled quite a lot on the arm you're right it looks pretty flat and I didn't make it clear that there is actually space between his chest armor thing and the arm. Oh well I learned that I should focus more on the correctness of the anatomy than on the small details everywhere else (toboggan i.e.)!

Not that much to show today cause I went outside and had some social life haha but I made a study of Thomas Cole! Took around an hour and a half or so kinda rushed it a little bit

Some Hampton studies and quick environments, I've been working on 2 master studies since yesterday for the most time and couldn't finish them today, a day just hasn't enough hours :D I'll load em up tomorrow!

Hey there. It's been forever - 8 years actually - since I looked in my sketchbook. Having been to other social media platforms and never really found a happy place, I decided to come all the way back here and try posting in my ancient sketchbook again. I made some decent progress over the years but it could have been more drastic I'd say. Feedback and a regular "posting schedule" did help me back in the day and I hope I can get back to it, improve even more, work out the kinks and become the illustrator I want to be. Honestly I've been slacking, life got in the way of my goals and I just want back on that hardcore art journey train. Nothing toxic, nothing unhealthy, but some good old hard work to overcome mediocrity. I hope there is still a place for that here and I hope someone out there is with me or finds what I post helpful or whatever. Cheers

Here's a small photo study I did recently just to paint something

Attached Files Image(s)

Well atleast you don't start from nothing which is already something you should be grateful toward your older self.As long as you have realistic goal to give yourself direction it on a good start and if the fire ain't burning just add fuel to your fire.Embrace the muse but don't let her consume you.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
That's a good attitude! The sword in that study is paintedo really well, it looks great. Hopefully this will be a decent place to keep improving.

@darktiste Thank you man, wise words! Can't believe you are still around, love to see it! I'm definitely grateful for where I am and at the same time excited for where I'm going. At some point everything was about making money from art and it killed the fire. One more reason to go back to a forum because this type of thing shouldn't be about money.

@JosephCow Thanks mate, I hope so! Really looking forward to the coming months!

In case you are interested in what I've been up to since I left here, there are over 300 paintings on my DeviantArt pretty much tracking progress from when I left here to where I'm at now - check it out if you want: @wolkenwaechter I'm not on there anymore since they have decided to go the route of embracing AI while it's still completely unethical and all, but it's the only place where all my paintings live.

I have to go work on an oil painting commission until mid-january and after that I'll be posting here regularly again.
Until then, happy holidays guys!
Nice work with your recent photo study, colors look on point!

Thanks CG!

Little life sign of me again. I'm just about to start a full time job outside of art so there's been some prep for that and I finally finished my oil painting and shipped it off. So less excuses now to get back into digital art slowly.

Here's a small painting from photo ref and my attempt at Dave's Goblin challenge from December that never went anywhere - but I might finish it still :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Great updates, loving the pose and expression of that Goblin piece expecially!

@CG yes thanks a lot, wanted to do something playful with his expression, glad it's starting to work already.

Small update again, still getting used to the fulltime job. Litlle still life setup I painted and an update on the illustration. Thanks for checking it out!

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm not into still life very much, but that mug is something I respect.

Small crit on the goblin's right hand far up there: I don't quite grasp how he's holding the lance.

The still life looks great to me, the material is very convincing. I'm glad you're developing the goblin further as well, great color choices especially in regards to the skin tones!

Great to see you returning and posting again - Impressive improvement :)

That still life looks very nice, especially the  brushwork!

The goblin painting has a pretty dynamic composition going on
It's probably a little late to be spamming ideas but I think a bit of sunlight from behind and reflected light from the water could be interesting?

(take the overpaint with a huge grain of salt tho - you're far better than me)

@Leo Thanks a lot man! About the hand you are completely correct it's quite unclear and even in the newer version I havn't figured it out yet. Need to shoot some ref, hard to find any of this exact position unfortunately.

@CG Thank you and yes I'm glad I find the time to work on him more and hope to finish it soon! If you're seeing the update, let me know if you still like the way it's going or if you had preferred the older version :D

@ohnooo Dude omg thank you for the overpaint! And the nice words! I think where you took the piece is really impressive, I'm not so sure if I'm "better" than you (at painting) and it almost makes me rethink my choices looking at where I took the piece :D Really nice touch you have added there. I'll see if I can take something from it to the final piece.

Ok guys I got some paintings, studies and updates. My fulltime job is still kicking my ass and it's hard to find the time to paint. I also started a writing process on what is supposed to be a graphic novel one day and I'm really excited about that. On the side I've been taking Esben Lashs' Portrait course to freshen up on some skills, but I won't bore you with too much of the head practice I've been doing. First three images and second forest image from imagination, woman and first forest are studies. Goblin still wip oc. I hope to manage the next update sooner.
Thanks for checking it out!

Attached Files Image(s)

Yep, the hand on the spear shaft looks better now. I think that in this particular position the diagonal-ness of the shaft would make the fingers progressively more "unfolded" around the shaft the further up. Not easy to find references but you can always hold a broom in front of a mirror and strike the pose :) In any case, looks like he's gonna catch that fish!

There's a good atmospheric impression in your forest paintings. And is it Jodi Foster before these?

I'm very much interested in seeing your work toward your graphic novel, the layouts and research. What graphical style do you plan for it?

@Leo Hey thanks! Yea definitely need to shoot some ref photos here soon :D The woman is Clara Paget, from like a pirate series or movie she was in that I still need to watch! And not sure if I'm going to share the graphic novel project anywhere or if I should just do it and put it out all at once. Decisions decisions..

Quick update, I'm getting ahead of myself more and more, starting new things left and right haha. Here is an illustration I started probably 2 years ago and just got back into (yes there is a photo in there oh oh). And a bargest sketch, creatures and animals is really a weakness of mine, so might as well spend some time there I figured.

Attached Files Image(s)

I wouldn't mind more creature design around here

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Love, love, love the raven woman. What a mood your captured! How did you put the textures in the foregrounded raven? (Is that where the photo came in?) I would only says her arms seem a tad long, that's deliberate? Also, there seems to be a 'stiffness' to the face, that could just be because it's the most rendered thing on her.

I concur on more creature design. Wanna start looking at animals myself.
I'm not sure I've spotted you sketchbook before. I've been missing out because you're doing a fine job of creating mood through colors and got a neat style. Even your head studies are pretty, I wouldn't mind looking at more of these!

I see you're also on the Tentatively Working on a Graphic Novel boat. xD

About releasing, it might be more financially sound to do it weekly if you're doing it online. If you're willing to create a larger buffer, as it sounds you are since you're considering releasing it all at once, you'll be able to keep a regular schedule which has a huge influence on readership. Most comics I read finance their creation by relying on this loyal audience to generate a little money through ads and sometimes patreon.