How do you ask people to model?
Maybe this is kind of a weird question, but how do you ask people to model for you? Nothing embarrassing, but like for portraits or a fantasy scene? Or if you have, how have people responded?

None of my friends are into fantasy, so I feel like a dork saying, "Hey, can you pose as an elf warrior for me?"

Or for example, there's a lady I sort of know who is stunning and has an aquiline nose, which you just don't see enough of on stunning characters. I've wanted to paint her face since I met her. But again, feel kinda weird asking. Especially since my art skills are still lacking.

Sketchbook

I've never done it but I had a professor who was very eloquent who said most people will be flattered if you ask them to pose/model for you. Another professor of mine actually said that youd be surprised what kind of weird stuff people will do if you ask them to model for you and they get to pick how they stand, but thats for another discussion entirely

Be courteous, succinct and dont dabble around the subject. If you don't know the person, approach them, introduce yourself briefly and include the fact that you're studying to become an artist of some sort and/or that you're currently working on a piece. Then follow up by saying, for instance, that you find their nose attractive/uncommon/distinct etc, or that you think they would be a good model, and then invite them to model for you. Its important that you dont come across as a fetishist though, as people tend to react that way if you seem interested too much in one particular feature. If they seem hesitant you can either leave them a business card of sorts (or just your number/website) to prove to them your legit, or offer some form of compensation if you can afford it

Its really not that difficult to do honestly. Just be forthright, take that first step and dont stumble around your words. I suppose you also wouldnt want them to feel objectified, so dont be too salesman-like either. Also you can just ask your friends to pose in a stance rather than as a character (battle/dynamic stance vs elf warrior)

Hope that helps

This is helpful at all, but I always found it hilarious. James Gurney wrote about a time where he went to a farm to draw the animals, but could only have time to draw the heads. After he was done, he went to a bar, where he noticed the bodies of the people lined up just right to the animal heads in his sketchbook. Unable to resist, he drew them in. One woman noticed him and told her husband to go check it out, and Gurney was mortified. He was terrified the man would get upset, but upon see his body with the head of a rooster, simply stood there for moments and eventually left. After he say back down, Gurney noticed he didn't drink a single bit of beer for the rest of the evening.

ANYWAY, I think Beardley's advice is solid. Just be polite and I think a lot of people would be pleased to pose for you. If not, just brush it off. Or if you don't want to ask strangers, asking your family might be easier. Especially teens, just ask then to sit still while they sit on their phones and you'll be perfect. :P

With a knife to their back- I've never done it either, too afraid to seem creepy. But if you must, start off with a normal conversation and if the fact comes up that you are an artist you can sneak in your request.
@zombiechinchilla : That's amazing hahah
Just do like Peter Griffin as seen in this video that was recorded with a potato.

Very politely. And you don't have to explain what the pose is for exactly. Could be for studies, help you hone your artistic skills. If they ask to see it when it's finished, and you really don't want to, you can put on a gloomy, distant expression, explain it gave you a very hard time, and the inspiration died, and look depressed. They won't press to see it after that.

Focus.