Lilly's Sketchbook

Have not posted in too long but now that it is summer I am going to try to start posting more.

Tomorrow I need to stick with some ideas for projects/illustrations so I can get more focused. I have been doing random studies I don't apply enough, so I need to fix that. But today I did some studying, and some quick painting thingy and a lot of erasing random things.

I did Various studies today and worked on making design and comp for a Demeter, the greek goddess, illustration. Plus a quick spit paint, which I find useful in getting me started drawing for the day.

yay lilly i can see you are getting better! keep up all the studies! :)

Thanks mar!

GO GO GOooooooooooo

Aye will do Iggy

I like your strokes in that last greyscale study. I would say for the sake of further accuracy in your studies, such as that one, you should observe the negative space surrounding the subjects more, to get a more accurate shape.

Thanks stardust, and yep accuracy and proportions is something I really need to work on, and look more at the negative space.

Oooohohoh Lilly, those Mech orths in post #73 are ballin' af <3

Seeing an improvement since the first page, well done! ^_^

Alrighty so I reckon if you did some drawing exercises as a warm up before you get into your studies and sketches, things can only get better for you. Saying this because right now, your lines are a little scribbly and this has been translating into your digital sketches as well. What happens when you don't consider brushwork in your digital paintings, your colours can end up looking muddy D:
Try to make every brushstroke count to avoid this.

Here's some excellent exercises you can check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk

And for edges, there's these:
http://muddycolors.blogspot.com.br/2015/...s.html?m=0

(Edit: damn, old conceptart.org threads have been deleted, only have these D:)

Hope this has helped in some way, keep up the hard work, Lilly o/ !

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Thanks Smr! I am gonna start doing those warm ups before drawing/painting everyday because it seems like a smart thing to do for sure. Also edges are something I am really trying to work to understand, because mine are not working well right now. So I gonna keep studying that and paying more attention to my brush strokes to improve that, hopefully. That link was helpful. ^^

Lost a file to a still life I did, sadly and the Demeter goddess I am trying to draw is still a wip.

Hey there, first time coming by your sketchbook.
I can see some improvement, you are doing the right things.
When doing still lives get a clear lightsource and try to paint around the form. First time I understood what that meant was when I read Vilppus figure drawing book and got to the part where he said something like: imagine an ant crawling on a person, going forward. Also check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFVggG7ajXM

Other good learning channels on youtube are:
Proko(anatomy, forms, gestures)
Dave Rapoza (his livestream uploads where he shows some great stuff and also gives info on the career of art)
Vilppu(has some videos on his process, its always useful to see a master draw and see how he does it)

For your study of the cloud, I see that you've captured most of the colors but try using a smaller brush for details. Of course, the big idea/solid drawing is most important but when that gets easy, try longer, more detailed studies. Keep up the good work!

Thanks cracked skull,I sorta get what that ant thing means but not exactly, and the videos and the channels you showed me are very good. Next time I make a still life I'll focus more on that.

Thanks Kmink. I tend to not render things out and go detail much on studies so its something I should start doing more of.

Attached Files Image(s)

I tried throwing some color on my Demeter painting.  I don't feel confident with color so I am gonna see where it takes me and what I can learn from it.

Your life study looks great and your clarity is improving well.

though the Demeter painting needs more clarity anatomy wise, the head seems a bit too far from the rest of the body and the legs a bit thick I would recommend you draw just the anatomy of the figure (a ref wouldn't hurt, it's a tricky angle) on a separate layer to see what ends where and perhaps make the torso in simple planes so you see where the necklace will fall. Lastly this could be a lil iffy because bras and such but one arm is raised while the other is lowered, when arms go up the pectoral stretches which rises and flattens the breast a bit... that's basically the long version of saying the boob feels a lil off.

the other studies you're doing is going well, I can't believe you've done so much! Keep at it, and remember to try to avoid shaky lines!
Thanks mylqin, and yeah  I am trying to fix the anatomy on it, it is off as you said.