CRIMSON CHOW #2 - Modern Wizard WIP
Hello Daggers!

Welcome to the Crimson CHOW (Character of the Week)! This is a biweekly challenge which was created as a way to hone your skills in design and character creation, in a fun and competitive way. Each challenge, we will give you a short character prompt and it is your task to interpret the character as you imagine it, with your own unique spin. The winner will be chosen through a poll in the finals thread, and in addition to being able to pick the next challenge topic, his/her piece will be featured in the "Crimson Champions" Winner's thread!

Here is the passage:

His back was against the alley wall; he was breathless after being chased across the dark cityscape, and he realized he had no other choice. They were closing in around him as he pulled his hands together and began to chant, causing brilliant light to spark from his fingertips. "I'm a wizard, bitch."

Your task: Design a wizard (or witch) living in the year 2014.

Guidelines:
  • Photo textures, 3D, and traditional mediums are allowed.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender or culture.
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.
Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up). No back views are allowed without a front.
  • Only ONE character please.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • Sketches, WIPs, or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Have fun!

Deadline is Sunday, September 21 @10pm GMT

called it NEVR FORGET

Attached Files Image(s)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Damn, I just finished reading the first Dresden Files book yesterday. This is gonna be saweet.

aight heres my sketch IM READY!! RESEARCH TIME OOH YEAA AND SCREW STIFFF POSES!!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
There should be bonus points available for anyone who depicts their character in the midst of shouting 'I'm a Wizard, Bitch'.

I call dibs on Jesse Pinkman after the events of Breaking Bad, living a magical journey in the streets on New Mexico, will it be an effect of his prolonged meth use? Or is he really a magical master? Find out on the next WIP of CHOW #2!!!

[Image: 10CHOW.jpg]

Someone was gonna do this, and this time it's gonna be ME! Game On Bitch!! xD

SB
[Image: cZiU47s.jpg]

Great start everyone!
I'm gonna make more studies of the subject this time. :)

[Image: BYxy5oo.png]

My WIP I guess :S

Things will probably only go worse further lol.

Attached Files Image(s)

Im gonna go with the comic route as i tend to do .

[Image: aHvC8TK.jpg]

Feedback would be appreciated of course

My Sketchbook (do help me out)
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4216.html

And if your rather curious on some older stuff here's my deviantart

http://greatdictator.deviantart.com/
Woo, so happy to be joining this CHOW. Seems like there is going to be a lot of people participating!

Fedodika, I like the idea you are going with but you shouldn't be in a hurry and actually take your time, even more so if your fundamentals aren't yet very strong. I can see it is a sketch but consider this and learn as much as you can while you work :)

Suira and Craig, looks like you guys will have to battle 1 on 1. hehe

rafa, as always loving your lines. Thanks for reminding me that the fac of the character is as important as anything else. Cool expressions.

Adrian, before you go any further take some time to check the anatomy and do some studies. For example, the left leg is too long (and looks a bit wonky around the ankle) and try not to guess the folds in the torso because they actually follow the muscle anatomy (its like the path of least resistance for fat to fold through ahah). Otherwise I like the street contortionism/break dance thing.

greatdictator, this is probably the most realist use of magical power nowadays ahah. I think you should resolve the perspective before you go any further, it will help you immensely. Be careful with the colors and using black in the shadows instead of color, work that tridimensionally. Take a good looks at Mike Azevedo's work if you haven't already and look how he paints his "cartoon" characters.

Explored the idea a bit today, not sure yet in which direction I will take this... Heavily influenced by some urban fashion photos.

[Image: SlWckJP.jpg]

(09-09-2014, 07:25 AM)bemota Wrote: greatdictator, this is probably the most realist use of magical power nowadays ahah. I think you should resolve the perspective before you go any further, it will help you immensely. Be careful with the colors and using black in the shadows instead of color, work that tridimensionally. Take a good looks at Mike Azevedo's work if you haven't already and look how he paints his "cartoon" characters.

I thought so too haha . With perspective are you reffering maybe to the door to the side ? cause this is based on a reffrence i made in GarrysMod by poseing the sofa and charchter

Also i took explicit care to not use black in this one , cept say for say the hat but thats cause of the color is black
Thanks for the artist recommendation though , ill try though i doubt ill be able to get it well XD he seems to have a more realistic paint for even the ''cartoon'' charchters

My Sketchbook (do help me out)
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4216.html

And if your rather curious on some older stuff here's my deviantart

http://greatdictator.deviantart.com/
@bemota thanks man, yours is shapping up very nice too!

Not sure if I'm going stylized or more "serious".

[Image: nN7wkWs.png]

Thank you Bemota. You are absolutely right , that comment nailed it for me. I have very little experience with folds ... that's also part of the reason why that leg looks too long ... I assumed that being stretched out .. the knee wouldn't create folds on those pants and sort of made them change direction from under the knee (which made it effectively look longer lol)

At first I was puzzled because I've measured them couple of times and there was no apparent problem xD.

Folds look pretty difficult to study ... how did you guys do it ? They are so ... random... sometimes. Influenced by what they sit on yes but ... still....

Adrian: Check out this video on folds, it will give you a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHRSPNkG...yIy6zK4ZCg

Also, draw drapery still life every day for a week and really analyze the forms of the folds and where the source of those forms are, the tension points. Folds are kind of simple in concept but the variety of shapes they can take can get pretty complex, so learning to simplify them based on how they work is something you can learn just by studying drapery from life and from master paintings.

See how people like Sargent or Velasquez handled folds. Also, Wesley Burt does a great job at simplifying folds in his concept art. Sometimes you can just use triangle-shaped shadows to give the suggestion of folds, especially in the pants at the bottom.

Hope that helps!

Hey ! Here is where I am. I got struck by the stiff character sickness :)
[Image: za6f.jpg]
First rough idea, going to refine and add to it tomorrow probably. Will probably have a couple iterations of this character. I need to figure out how to show him using magic in a neat way.

Attached Files Image(s)

Named him Methisto, conjurer of meth stones.
Just trying out some outfits, kinda fun.

[Image: DVbURh9.png]

Originally wanted to do something related to graffiti art or street dancers and even sketched a few on paper, but seeing all these hobos and meth addicts inpired me in a weird way xD

A little backstory for him:
"He believes he's beign chased by the more popular members of the Society of Sorcerers because of his mastery of smartscrolls and incredibly original taste in the vintage black arts, but actually, he's just beign a stereotype of the modern urban wizard"

Nice work guys.