Rorks Sketchbook
Hi my name is Rork, My goal is to be a concept artist, I'm leaning towards character design. After a year or so of not drawing I'm trying to fall in love with art again, I don't have much recent personal work to show so I'll be posting my studies at first, thanks in advance, harsh crits are welcome

These sketches are from ref

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
When I draw from imagination my poses look generic and safe and not great anatomy wise

I got a wonderful app on android called mara 3d, it has beautiful models you can rotate, though they are unposable (that a word?), I took a snapshot and attempted to paint in acrylics

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
Hey man, welcome aboard :)

I really like your silhouettes, even if they're all a bit samey pose wise. We often get stuck drawing the things we know, comfort zone and all that. Try to challenge yourself with the poses and just accept the fact that it'll look like crap for a bit, you'll learn a ton.

Keep it up !:)

Thanks for the welcome :) Yeah I was in my comfort zone so long I didn't improve for the longest time, time for a change up :)

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
A few heads here from imagination, Not happy with my sense of design, its very generic, so I'll be hoping to improve on that

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
I'd say that's a good start with those heads anyway. Just make sure to do studies of a variety of subjects, so you can develop a versatile aesthetic vocabulary. That should help you with the matter of doing more variation in your designs. Keep it up.

Hey! great start with the sketchbook, those figures you first posted are a delight to look at In love

Where about in Ireland are you from?

(02-24-2015, 11:08 PM)IrishWhiskey Wrote: Hey! great start with the sketchbook, those figures you first posted are a delight to look at In love

Where about in Ireland are you from?

Hey thanks,I'm from Dublin, and you?

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
Im From Kerry but spend alot of my time in Cork.

Keep up the good work Thumbs_up

Not much to say that the others haven't already. So I'll just say keep going man:D

This is a master study i did of Caravaggios "St Jerome staring at his hand" :) I got a bit bored though, my brain was numb at this stage

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
Some 90 second gestures here, I hope to spend at least 20 minutes a day doing these

Cant seem to draw a convincing ear without reference :D

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
[attachment=65240]

Attached Files Image(s)

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
Thumbnails

gestures

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
Hey man! Really love your gestures, you hit that nice point where they're still gestural and flow-y and energetic but get enough of the form and anatomy that they look like solid figures too. I really like that! Great Caravaggio too!

If you're imaginative figures feel too stiff / samey you could try laying down a few random strokes and marks without much thought, keep going til you see something like a contour of a body part, side of a head or whatever then build a character on top. Kinda like when you look at the clouds and can start to see things in them. You disengage the thought process until you find your starting point. (If that makes sense!) - Kinda like what you suggested to me but for imaginative stuff! Just start with scribbles til you see some kind of shape to build on. There is little control over what will come out but it's a fun exercise that can help you explore more extreme / dynamic poses and stuff.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Thanks man, we will get there there eventually :)

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook

Havent posted in ages, thought id show my recent doodles and experiments

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
Messing about with a thick marker and some white paint, throwing down some random shapes and then using paint to to try to make sense of it, bit of a haphazard technique, mixed results but fun

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
Hey man, cool to see the experimentation going on! Thanks for your comments in my SB too. Here's some comments about Watts atelier:

I ended up staying enrolled for 3 months, I did it solidly everyday for that time. I managed to get through the head drawing stuff and about 1/3 of the way through the figure stuff. It's all video demo's by Jeff Watts, who is really skilled. The videos are quite long and it's interesting to hear him talk but he has a tendancy to go off topic and sometimes just draws while talking about random art stuff without explaining his thought process. Other times he really explains everything he's doing and it is really useful.

The course is broken into phases and lessons within those, each lesson has an assignment which is great to do (some of them take a long time and have many drawings, so its great practice). You can submit them and get feedback but after a while I stopped doing that because the feedback seemed really rushed, it took ages to come, and mostly just one or two sentences that sometimes contradicted what he says in the videos (since it's his staff trying to mark hundreds of submissions every week there is a disconnect).

It is a really expensive site for online education without any good feedback but how he talks to you in the videos, you really do feel like his student, since you spend so much time with one guy and I felt really pumped to keep going and really positive about art in general.

I think the best thing about it though is that he teaches the Reilley rhythms in a lot of careful detail and shows how Loomis / Asaro / Skull / Reilly rhythms all come together (for the head) and how Loomis and other mannikins, simple shapes and the rhythms come together for the body (which apart from some really convoluted and confusing textbooks, I couldn't find much information on anywhere else online).

He also teaches a lot about edges and edge control. It's great stuff for any kind of entertainment artist but the focus is all on traditional, charcoal drawing on newsprint paper. I couldn't find cheap newsprint paper in the UK, the pads at my art store were around a tenner for 50 pages. It's not practical / cost effective to follow his method with charcoal pencil on newsprint for me, and the way he shows you really do need the newsprint paper. So in the end I just did it all in graphite. (You'd probably have the same issue in Ireland).

What else to say? I feel it was so worthwhile, even after dropping over £200 on it in just a few months I don't regret it at all.

Hope that's useful! Definitely try it for a month and see how it is.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453