Amb and Will's Daily Studies
unsilentwill and ambthecreative:
painting and drawing, every day

[Image: 28_dagonet.jpg]
Photo Reference

Tonight's two hour study focusing on recognizing subtle color and cloth form.
One of my first attempts at digital painting.

[Image: crappyhands.jpg]

Photo Ref.
[Image: 29_fence.jpg]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Working on texture and simple forms.

Amb's study last night was for an hour, and her house doesn't have power tonight.
[Image: 01_buffalo.jpg]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Form flattens here and there, textures aren't the best, and the background could have gotten a better treatment.
[Image: 02_runner.jpg?w=580&h=580]
Photo Reference

Two hour study. Poor color, form, drawing, and time management. Whoops.

Amb's back, yay!
[Image: doornobcopy.jpg]

From live reference.
[Image: 03_nick_cave.jpg]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Colors and brushes improving, drawing and texture still off.

Still hammering out a new schedule with Amb, going to try and do studies earlier in the day.
[Image: 04_fancy_room.jpg]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Focus on color/shapes with two light sources. Thus, poor drawing again.
[Image: 05_wolf.jpg]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Haven’t practiced much fur, looks blurry and the colors are too simple. Drawing is better.
[Image: 06_flex.jpg]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Some serious form issues, color is skewed in placees and drawing are fine.
Are you and ambthecreative still working together? I see mostly studies comin from you, unsilentwill. Hope everything is alright and you guys can work things out. You shouldn't have to be soloing this unsilentwill. Good studies though.

Also, it would be cool to know why you are studying the things you are. Like when you do a torso study or wolf study, it would be good just to leave a few words explaining why you are doing that study. Like maybe you have an upcoming imagination piece that you're planning to do, that's what this should be all about, studies that you can apply to current projects.

Hate to preach, but anyway, keep it up guys, and if things don't work out between you guys, try finding a new partner. Ahhhhhhh
I've been keeping in contact, she's very new to digital painting after drawing and pastel. Also, life is hard, you know?

As for applying studies, save for the buffalo, the runner, and the male portrait the images have been applied to a personal piece I'm doing and a long-term client job. I'll be sure to make that more clear as things go on. Though personally I don't see anything wrong with using studies to address my biggest weaknesses in previous works/studies.

[Image: 07_natalie.jpg?w=690]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Meant to focus on likeness and rendering and implying hair, for a personal illustration. Too messy and drawing took too long.
I'm so sorry. I have no excuse really. But I'm definitely going to do my best to not let unsilentwill be on his own.

As all of this intimidates the hell out of me, I'm just choosing subjects I feel are simple enough that I feel comfortable tackling or simply want to give my hand at painting. I think in the future I will pick my subjects based more on a personal project.

So I don't leave without putting something up, here is something I started, but don't have the time to finish at this moment. Will tackle it again tomorrow. Again, just something I thought was simple enough to practice on. Spent around an hour total on it.

[Image: blossom2.jpg]

[Image: 08_porthole.jpg]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Hoping to render the detail in the wood, but drawing proper circles proved difficult. The circular metal with rivets fits with the same personal illustration.
Got frustrated with the flower. So I went back to pencil, making sketches before having to get ready to work. Also another sketch.

Around ten minutes each.

[Image: flower0002.jpg]

[Image: flower0001.jpg]
[Image: 09_ram.jpg?w=487]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Colors are too dull and inaccuracy. Form and snow need work as well. More practice on the fur, might use the horn material and snow for personal illustration.
Two hours, tackling these flowers again. Thanks for keeping me focused, Will!
Still a long way to go, but so far the most finished digital painting I've done so far.

[Image: flower0002copy.jpg]
[Image: 10_spartan.jpg]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Was hoping to do more texture, time got away from me. Cape and shield and energy fit nicely in my current illustration.
[Image: onions2.jpg]

2-3 hours? I started around 10pm or so. Need to practice blending and values.

Ref: http://www.easy-oil-painting-techniques....021585.jpg
[Image: 11_lighthouse.jpg]

Photo Reference

Two hour study. Kind of messy, happy with the colors. Focusing on the clouds mostly for my illustration.