Hospitaller Knight
Hi 

Concept:
Hospitaller knight from the crusades, in a modern context. Background; new future army run in ranks of the crusades, such as teutonic, hospitaller, etc. Hospitaller rank will be scout/long range unit and will carry sniper rifles with multiple attachments. I will be adding details such as a belt to fit in with the theme, tech on the arms as well as various accessories such as smoke grenades etc.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736...e50803.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6114/62722...e216_z.jpg
Could really use any kind of crit on this. Time period is future, but using medaeval armour design language to an extent.
The thing hes holding will be a rifle- just a place holder at this point, so havent detailed at all.

The leg area is still under construction somewhat, wanted crit before I detailed.
Was thinking I should probably make the cloak black with a cross on it to fit the theme, but afraid that will make the focal area too dark. any thoughts would be fantastic on that!
Thanks very much!

Xavier

Attached Files Image(s)

Train, gain, or stay the same.
Deviantart
Sketchberk
Hey Xavier,
The idea is awesome. What I can throw in is maybe try to work on the cloak design some more. It looks straight medieval right now and it's got some great potential, you could go bonkers with it (look at some of the contemporary hi-tec fashion, or military equipment/garment).
Also, I would recommend to establish the weaponry more decisively as it will strongly set the soldier in the modern context.
Keep at it! Looks like something awesome is coming up :)

[Image: rUfiMf1.png]
Hey Wardy/Xavier, I tried my hands at a bit of paint over with notes written onto the paint over itself, hope it's a bit of help :)

Focus.
@badbaddog, thanks man! great idea, im not sure how im going to do it but it certainly would be fun to make it high tech somehow. i actually brainstormed this at the start, playing with the idea of it being an invisibility or active camoflage cloak, so it kinda fades into hexagons at the bottom.
the other idea was to have it like a ghillie snipers cloak, so all broken up and flakey. will keep thinking on those lines thanks!

@meat hey! some sort of eyepiece or goggles would be a really cool idea to play with, was thinking maybe having all of that internal to the helmet, or maybe some binoculars (hi tech) on him somewhere. will play around with some ideas.
I was thinking of putting the rifle there, i think thats actually a really good idea so i can show off the deisgn a bit more (also a bit easier...). I quite like the dynamic-ness (if thats a word) of it being a diagonal across the shoulder so will experiment with both, thanks!

Going to add the cross to the cloak as well to do the repeating emblem you mentioned, and lots of techy stuff as you said!

Great crit guys will get to work! def looking too medaeval atm need to sell the futuristic side a bit more. All the best

Xavier

Deviantart
Sketchberk
Try adding the dynamic-ness with the person's pose. Perhaps he's gesturing with the free arm to an unseen comrade about bogies spotted afar, or gesturing to indicate points in his new plan.

Focus.
Ironically enough, i actually tried to keep this pose as neutral as possible because with my last piece i received some very good crit pointing out I tend to exaggerate and pointlessly pose characters in unnecessary positions, so I went as minimal as possible with this!

though I do agree it would look a lot more dynamic with him pointing or something in that vein, will try it thanks meat.

Deviantart
Sketchberk
Is that so? Hm.... maybe not something very dramatic but still adds story to him... like he's in the middle of doing something that's related to who he is and what he does for a living. Example, holding and looking out from a scope, checking a battle field map or to-do list from the brass, or just gesturing towards his spotter (snipers work in pairs I believe...) about their next move.

Focus.
i think it would really help make him more dynamic for sure, was thinking maybe a holographic display from his arm, or as you said just pointing for a spotter or something along those lines.
will definitely give some of those a go thanks!
just woke up this morning and had that classic thing where with fresh eyes I just go 'what the hell is that.'. Have a LOT of work to do on this, mostly making it actually look sci fi as you said it just looks like a poorly drawn medaeval knight atm...
will update once ive got something to show, thanks mate.

Deviantart
Sketchberk