Hello everybody!
Smile 
Hello everybody!
My name is Eli and I am from Bulgaria. I am happy to be here with all of you. For the last five years I studied in medical university. Its my last year in university, so I think I will have more free time to develop my artistic skills. My colleagues and my parents think that it's to late to switch careers, but I disagree I am only 22 and I feel I have a whole life ahead of me.

I have just started studying from the book "Rapid viz", but I don't feel its the right book for me.
I want to specialize in drawing fantasy characters and scenes. So I was wondering if you can recommend me something to start with books, tutorials, study groups etc.
I was also wondering which is the best way to start learning? Using a tablet or with a pen and paper? I'm happy to be here, and look forward to meet new people who share the same goals like me.

Congrats for this great place! :))
Hello ! Welcome to the forums. c:
A lot of artist start at their early twenties so i don't think its too late.

For anatomy i would recommend looking up some of Andrew Loomis and George Bridgman's books also Human Anatomy by Gottfried Bammes mainly because its translated in bulgarian which could be helpful. For fantasy look up Imaginative realism by James Gurney though I haven't read it so I'm not exactly sure if it's going to help you. There's a ton of books and tutorials you can find online but I'm fairly new to this as well so I can't help you much.

I wish you the best of luck !!
Hello tirbushon!
Thanks for your recommendation!
I have already had all Andrew Loomis's books and 'Bridgman's complete guide to drawing for life'.
I will looking for 'Human anatomy by Gottfried Bammes' in my bookstore.
I am familiar with James Gurney and I like his fantasy world!
Thank you very much!
I wish you good luck too!
Welcome Eli.

Don't listen to your parents, your friends, anybody, because with respect, they don't know shit. They have probably sacrificed dreams they once had and settled for some mundane shit just to pay bills. Most people who hold this view that it is too late or you are locked into a choice, have it because they live it. You don't have to.

You do what you want with your life. 22 is like being a baby in the woods. I started changing my career and self teaching at 33. I only became fulltime freelance two months ago. I'm 37 now, feel freer than I ever have, and I still don't think it is ever too late to do something you want with your life, 22, 32, or 82. If I listened and believed most of the people I talked to about art in those few years, I would have quit and been stuck in a horrible life for decades more until I died!

It will be a long journey, spanning years, not months, before you get ANYWHERE. Be honest about this. Don't look for, or think you will find shortcuts. There is no perfect way tailor made for you, you will have to find it yourself.
Reading books isn't the same as practicing for yourself, so get started and just do what you can, do it often, do it with purpose, do it consistently. Don't give up. Sometimes it will feel like you have no idea what you are doing, and have no idea if you are doing the right thing. Just remember, there is no right! If you need a break take it. Art isn't everything and all in your life, it is just an aspect.

Sorry if this sounds pessimistic, it's not meant to be. If you ever need to ask questions feel free to message me. Have a look through the abandoned hideout group. We welcome any and all levels. You are free to do study as you wish, post when you like, and you will probably get help and crit as well.
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5830

Welcome and good luck! :)

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Hello Amit!
Thank you very much for the feedback and the invitation about a study group! I think I will join and also will make sketchbook. This will be make me more disciplined.
Good luck too!