Inktober 2015
next page

Attached Files Image(s)

Punk cat The fairy is looking nice, one of the most solid looking ones you've done, anatomy / form wise and the wings are great!

Kayo Post up the full sequence at the end! I kinda lost the thread of it without seeing the previous pages.

Lurch The van looks cool. I guess by mistakes you mean the wheels? maybe the perspective a bit wonky on one side? honestly I had to really hunt for them to notice them. Lod's right you could whack some more value on that and it's a nice little design for some... purpose... You're stuff is really clean, and it's loosened up a lot since the start of the month!

Lodratio Yea I use brush for everything, even do the hatching with it now. That's my focus this month to get better with brush. Sometimes I do a pen version and trace over it with brush on a new piece of paper (see image below). You enjoy the loose thumbnail / sketchy type drawings yea? Me too they are really fun. Try and take one of those ideas and work it into a bigger picture maybe?

Totally ran out of time yesterday, didn't even get to post! Anyway here is tinkerbell from yesterday, I included my pen underlay version since it came out nice. For today's one it's the second panel of that figure skating comic I started so long ago, since not many days left to complete it (4 more panels and 5 more days of inktober left, better get focused!)

[Image: pxLuRG7.jpg]

[Image: hkR18TN.jpg]

[Image: eQRIDHq.jpg]

(that light patch in the middle is the camera flash, not some fancy effect!)

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
JyonnyNovice: Yea. I should do more finished stuff... I'm basically just drawing during classes at the moment, so I don't have a whole lot of concentration left over for planning things out. I' do want to draw a comic tomorrow though!

Attached Files Image(s)

Lodratio - Yeah it's great fun messing around with it in PS. I might go back to that one and work it a bit further. Thanks for the pointers.

You've got some really nice perspective stuff goin on, it's got a nice relaxed feel to it. I agree with Jyonny, would love to see you push one of these when you have more time.

Jyonny - I tend to see the problems in everything, on the van I kept messing up lines and had the perspective issues that you spotted, I should try and be more positive tho!

your brush work is looking good - like those solid blacks, you're way braver than me!

Went for another creepy shack but tried to take it a bit further, excuse the crappy mobile photo.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow lurch, awesome!

I've been doing the insomnia+ don't wanna draw thing again, so yesterdays is late.. just struggling at the moment to do /anything/
Day 26 - leprechaun
[Image: oct_26_15_by_punk_a_cat-d9ehgvm.jpg]

lodratio: digging the style!

lurch: snap that's a cool shack, good job!

Only a few more days! But its been so much fun.

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
I will JyonnyNovice, don't worry.

Attached Files Image(s)

Day 27 - Slenderman (Slenderman is copyright of Eric Knudsen)
Really, just totally meh about this one, was fun to ink in, but bleeeeeeeeh.. was too tired to do an interesting pose and it's just so bleh
Insomnia is killing my art ;-;
[Image: oct_27_15_by_punk_a_cat-d9ej8ik.jpg]

Yes indeed! Awesome shack Lurch! What did you use for the sepia tones?

My next comic panel. This was pretty challenging trying to get the angle of the pose right so it reads since the characters are overlapped so much. Phew! Spent most of the day on this. Rest of the panels should be easy in comparison. I killed the nice shape on her leg by adding more line weight... always screw up something like that XD

[Image: THCNnr3.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Ugh, another thumbnail...err I mean a page! 70bff581

Attached Files Image(s)

Th_110_

sketchbook | pg 52

Sorry you've got insomnia Punk cat! Hope you can get it under control soon, it really holds you back isn't it ¬_¬

Smrr I like you how you do your speed / movement lines, and the looser lines for that blurry effect. Pretty brutal case of domestic violence in no. 27...

Panel 4 of my comic, really screwed up her face but meh, it's good enough for today. Tried to be more brave with hatching / blacks.

[Image: DsqssfF.jpg]

Duh... never gave her a cast shadow on the ground... nevermind!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Kayo Kid: Well, learning to do appealing thumbnails is really important, and I think you're making progress in that regard. I'd suggest thinking more in terms of abstract shapes and angles and tangents if you wan t to do more complicated ones.

smr: Speaking of thumbnails, do you do something like that beforehand to feel out the gestures and weight, or do you just jump straight into your final drawings?

Man, this is the first comic I've drawn in a long time. I did some reading up on paneling, but I'm not sure how to convey ideas and evoke reactions reliably and I think the decisions I made for this are pretty suboptimal.
Anyway, I did take the time to block in some basic shadows, which already makes it read a lot better.

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheerss Jyonny <3 <3 ! also, lmao yaaaaaaaaas ^_____^

Yo Lod; I make sure I have a solid idea in my noggin, then, depending on how comfortable I am with the scene, I either do a thumb or two to get the comp right or just go straight to the 2-spread, where I then (always) do a loose, light under drawing. And I mean loose - otherwise I tighten up when I get to the brushpen-ing, which I dislike a lot.

Hope this helps, keep up with this comic work if you enjoy it, meng <3

sketchbook | pg 52

Lodratio: I think that second panel could have been something else, otherwise everything else is good. Also thank you for the advice.

Attached Files Image(s)

Vacation time! I'll draw up some more stuff while I'm away, but by the time I'm back Oktober will be over, so I'll just say at this stage that it's been super fun everyone.

Attached Files Image(s)

Lodratio Cool comic, neat little idea! I love the drawing. I think where it falls down though is the last panel is too much of a contrast, I had to read it a few times before I got it. Needs some kind of connection to the panels before so we know it's that same vehicle that was driving up and that he's stood in the same place. Possible fixes: Include that circular sign (looks like letter H) so we know he hasn't just walked to a new location; show the front of the ice cream truck in the last panel, so we can see it's the same vehicle; in the second panel you can see the 'B' from the front of the vehicle, you could add the 'U' as well even and have a sign above the guy in the last panel with those letters (Buck's Ice Cream or something). Lastly, you could replace panel 3 with a close up of a guy making ice cream, then panel 4 show a wider shot of the guy getting his cone (kind of like those kishoutenketsu that I did before with panel 3: twist, panel 4: conclusion. Anyway I stop now! Great start, I hope you keep up with comics : ) I need a study partner ^^

I was totally not feeling it today, did a rough version of my comic panel 5 (this one is the 'twist' part that doesn't make sense til the final panel). I'm going to redo it, just experimenting how to do the squirrel's fur. Seems a bit messy with this dry brush technique (I should use drawing gum perhaps to mask off the areas around it to make it cleaner). Also my eye keeps being dragged to the tree on the right, I tried to lower the value with hatching but I keep getting pulled over there when I look at it. Any suggestions how I can fix that? Cheers guys!

[Image: caUOvG6.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Punk-A-Cat, Smrr, Jyonny - Thanks, that shack was a mission!

Punk-A-Cat - hope the insomnia passes soon.

Jyonny, sadly I get no credit for sepia tones, it's just a poor photo, the inks are my usual grey!

Gotta post two days, but it gets me up to date I think!

Tried doing some pumpkins but without ref this time, and another gravestone thingy.

I'm workin on today's now, so hopefully it'll drop OK.

Lodratio, lovin your pages - I really wanna see you drop some full blown environments!

Attached Files Image(s)

Jyonny, I think the problem is the contrast on the tree, even though you've tried to knock it back a bit with the hatching, I think the high contrast is drawing your eye away from the lower contrast in the character.

Only thing I could think to do is really knock it back by putting it much more in the dark and having light hit it just a bit.

I tried to do a paintover but I'm not sure it worked! Maybe it'll help tho.

I think if you work the fur in with short black strokes maybe that will pull the contrast and attention back to the character?

edit - having looked at it again, I wonder it's partly because the character seems to be looking at the tree?

Attached Files Image(s)

Tried another zombie thing.

Attached Files Image(s)