Nicky D's Sketchworld
(07-05-2016, 04:36 AM)neopatogen Wrote: Awesome studies and sketches! What resources did you use to study casting shadows?

Thanks neopatogen, the best resource I've found for studying cast shadows is Matt Kohr's Basic Rendering series on the ctrl+paint website. I bought the whole bundle for like $50, it was worth it

Just drawing some action poses this morning

Trying to get more volume in my figures, Hampton's the go-to guy here

Those hand studies on the last page looked real niceee! I like that you're pushing those fundamentals hard but I'd love to see some personal sketches now and then.

I really liked that knight dude so I wanna know what else you can come up with :)
Great study strategy dude. Staying focussed seems to be helping you get this stuff nailed. I'm loving your figure sketches - nice dynamic lines.

Yeah Hampton is awesome for learning figures in my opinion - I'm slowly working through his book myself. I love the way he constructs landmarks and musculature.

Keep up the awesomeness my friend!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Trying to figure out the torso. The red marks are corrections of the drawing from imagination.

(07-08-2016, 08:01 PM)Zipfelzeus Wrote: Those hand studies on the last page looked real niceee! I like that you're pushing those fundamentals hard but I'd love to see some personal sketches now and then.

I really liked that knight dude so I wanna know what else you can come up with :)

Thank you Zipfelzeus! You're right about about the personal sketches. I just get sooooo frustrated with my lack of fundamental knowledge that I've been avoiding any kind of finished work for a long time now.

Getting back to doing stuff from imagination! Just some warm up  poses

All the gesture studies from this past week plus...
studies for a sci-fi character concept I'm about to dig into. Need to actually make some designs for my portfolio.

Great studies DQ!

The wrapping lines around the limbs of your gestures give them a real 3D feel. I also like the perspective box around the mannequin - looks like a good exercise to for constructing figures in perspective.

The character design is looking good as well - looking forward to seeing where you take this.

Keep it going dude - looking good!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Hey, thanks for checking out my SB here ! : )

Really cool studies so far, I should start doing more gestures like that too @.@

I don't really know what else to say, stay awesome dude ! :D

Shin's Sketchbook ▼ ▼ ▼Patreon ▼ ▼ ▼ dArt
(07-25-2016, 06:36 PM)ShinOkami Wrote: Hey, thanks for checking out my SB here ! : )

Really cool studies so far, I should start doing more gestures like that too @.@

I don't really know what else to say, stay awesome dude ! :D

I appreciate the love ShinOkami!

Everything from the past week. I should note that with the space pilot design I started from a sketch from my head, then gradually built up the design with reference.

Great stuff DQ!

Your figure studies are looking nice and tidy and good job with that space pilot design. Are you going to add some highlights to his armour?

Keep up the hard work dude.

CD Sketchbook

(07-27-2016, 08:29 AM)Artloader Wrote: Great stuff DQ!

Your figure studies are looking nice and tidy and good job with that space pilot design.  Are you going to add some highlights to his armour?

Keep up the hard work dude.

Hey Artloader thanks for stopping by again. Thank you for the kind words and yes, absolutely, the plan is to render this guy with highlights and occlusion shadows and all that junk before I call it finished!

Really digging your work, man...you're a beast! I'll have to come back here for daily inspiration on studying and design.

I see a little of Alex Paschenko influence in your last design, which looks great btw.
Love how the most recent character turned out. Keep workin it with that process, it's working well.
Love your anatomy studies, you doing these from a book? If so, maybe you could share? Great little nuggets in here!

Wow thank you for the comments guys

@ChrisDMiller Thank you man, I'm trying, just trying to apply things I've learned from Anthony Jones. Yes! Alex Pascenko is a huge influence, he's one of those geniuses in shape language and just making things look cool in general

@Dennis Kutsenko Thank you Dennis, I'm trying to push each piece as far as I can until I hit the wall of own knowledge and have to do some really relevant studies

@Nick Waldinger I'm doing most of the anatomy studies from Michael Hampton's Figure Invention and Design, but I also use a lot of stock photos on deviantart to study poses.

Sketchbook update

So!
I've taken this space fighter pilot as far as I can, one iteration in the lineart style, and one with realistic rendering. Both could still be improved but I need to move on to something else for now.

The faces are from memory, and the figures are studies from photos, trying to build that visual library