[/R/ CRITIQUE] OLIVEIRA'S SKETCHBOOK [JUST DO IT]
SUP, FELLOW DAGGERS

My name is Kaio, i'm an 18 yo aspiring artist from Brazil. I want to get into freelancing, mainly on the fields of character design and conceptual illustration for the animation industry. I've been studying on my own since 2013-2014 when i got to know the /ic/ board from 4chan (that is a very toxic place, but i got a real thick skin out of it) and even though i have improved a lot since them i don't think i made as much progress as i could have done.

I got to know of the Crimson Daggers forums through Dave's tutorials and been lurking around here for about a week in the sketchbook section mostly. It's amazing the amount of progress you guys make and i really wanna be part of this!

I'll try to post daily, and would really appreciate some thoughts on it and stuff... So to start off... the stuff i did from saturday-today

[Image: 1GVpAx2.jpg]
[Image: gdE2ojm.jpg]
[Image: W02W5WJ.jpg]

Some animal studies i did, trying to capture mostly the rhytm on their lines and play with the shapes.

[Image: FHMwiov.png]
[Image: GhURLvh.png]
[Image: nKOJFMf.png]

A WIP for a mini-project i'm doing. I'd really enjoy some critique on these poses and the overall characters. The butler guy is at a rough stage but i'm struggling with his construction a bit. The sillouetes are the base ideas i started out with.

[Image: mPjtM2Q.png]

I really suck at values/painting and want to work on it. Started out today with these, took me about 1 hour each, and my paintings look like the model's fucking grannies. But oh well...

[Image: LuglgkN.png]
[Image: P8AZ3gn.jpg]

Some naked self portrait and a fashion little sketch that i plan on finishing.

That's it for today, sorry if i made any mistake on my grammar or broke some rule, it's my first time posting here.
Hey there, Kaio!

Welcome to the Daggers man <3

Ohhh snap, you came from /ic/ huh? I feel the same way about what you said. Shitty place, but you learn quite a bit and build a thick skin from it. I used to browse + post on that board before I started here as well. Got the shit ripped outta me lmao

My thoughts on your work - holy shit, I wish I understood the importance of perspective and line work and shape design as much as you do when I started out. The second I saw those animal sketches, I was like, dammit lol
You're young af, so keep up with that mindset! Considering everything is grounded in perspective, you'll be able to draw anything, just like KJG.

Your value studies will improve over time. Something that helped me out was drawing and rendering objects irl with a pencil. Though, you can do that using your tablet if you only work digitally.
Blending the values seems to be a weak point of yours - this will get better over time as well. My advice: make the brushstroke count. Don't noodle around. Try to get the colour/value as correct as you can before you lay it energetically on the canvas. Then blend later <3

Also, lmao @ that SP. Lucky you're of legal age @_@ ? HAHA

Anyway, keep it up man! I expect a lot from you!

P.s. it's pretty hard to break the rules here: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-2.html
Have a great one o/

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
@smrr Hey, man. Thanks for your kind words and your advice, I tried some stuff you said on today's master study and it worked out better but i still need to be more patient when painting. Also, your sketchbook is awesome, kinda made me jelly because I started studying at the time you first posted it , HAHAAH.

And yea, here in Brazil we greet by portraying ourselves naked to other people, hopefully we will start a warm friendship from this.

[Image: ztZqAOr.jpg]

Some studies, mostly trying to get the forms and perspective right. Sorry about the images' quality, though...
[Image: r9tjFub.jpg]

sum boxes
[Image: 411Kt9w.jpg]

Did a master study for Repin's ''Zaphorozetz 1884'',took me 2 hours. I got rekt by the colors but i still learned a lot from it, took some notes and shit... It's a very fun proccess!

[Image: 8inlrxM.png]

This is the butler's character board, I'll probably present the other characters like this, too.

I'd really appreciate critique on these, specially on the last two (I plan on using these character boards on my portfolio, so it'd be great!).

PS: By the way, how can you change your profile pic here? It's been so long since I last used a forum like this HAHAAH.
Stuff from today:

[Image: aYFHot8.png]

I almost cooked my brain doing this, dang. I need to practice hands some more!

[Image: nxDToxg.jpg]

Another Master Study. Ilya Repin again.
[Image: sp2iKUT.jpg]
Quick Gestures.

[Image: ksfcHD2.jpg]
A rough sketch for another character of my mini-project. Could anyone give some insight on how to get more appealing designs? How should i practice my sense for design?

I feel like i don't produce as much as some guys out there, idk...Critiques are as always very appreciated!
Did not do much today...here's a little sketch

[Image: B0l9kB0.png]

HEY, here's another master study. Really struggling with that stylish tunic.

[Image: Q5L0mIR.jpg%5B]

Hey man welcome to the crimson daggers! I see some good stuff here, though i see you are struggling with drawing faces at certain angles. Youre doing good though! the key is just to keep drawing :) Hope to see more from you in the future.