kidult's sketchbook
A lot of hard work in here! I like how youre producing that finished professional work and still keep working hard on studies. Good stuff!

Awesome stuff! Also a lot of studies... You're especially amazing with portraits, but I agree that your sci-fi/hard surface stuff isn't as good as your portraits yet.. maybe do some more mech studies or material studies?
(I'm having the same problem)

what do you think? :P
Really love those black and white portraits!

Your soldier lady is awesome! Love how you've got her plunging through the air with the shrapnel, still firing away! Great armor, too.

Sketchbook

Awsome updates. Need to work on those hands a bit more. Try to break them down in boxes and experiment with putting them in diferent angles and perspective cause some of your hands look good and other look broken. Good luck and keep sharpening those blades.

MW-Art - thanks, doesnt feel like I'm doing pro work...hence all the studies. I just see mistakes everywhere, hahaha

Lychee - Ah yeah, thx for the feedback there. Been obsessing with faces too much and yes material studies are needed. So I did a life study toady of some shiny plastic going to do more during the week

Tygerson - thanks, was trying to get all that across, so glad its reading ok for now

razvanb08 - thanks man, hands like faces is something i feel i could practice forever and still not get right...sigh

Quick life study of shiny plastic:
[Image: study1_zps92a94423.jpg]

brushpen sketch from life.... damn yo its hard doing this, no fixing mistakes...
[Image: IMG_150_zps2a0aa7f1.jpg]

sketchbook pages:
[Image: IMG_149_zpsf83522d5.jpg]
[Image: IMG_148_zps0e6717b9.jpg]

Thanks for looking at my scribblings and for the suggestion. Awesome SB you got here. You're a beast! Subscribed.

Thanks for stopping by my sb.

Your stuff looks great and it's improving, very motivating stuff.

Just curious did you meant those last few to be on two pages? It looks cool, but if it happened by accident maybe you need to do more thumbnails to make sure you're fitting your drawings in the space you have :D

Hypnagogic_Haze - Thanks and just sharing the cd love!

dracken - thx man, and yeah did mean to go over the margin, small sketchbook, but I am actually planning on doing a bunch of thumbnails now... how did you know?!?

new piece:
[Image: galaxy2a_zps6c7ee801.jpg]

woah the colours in the last one is really cool. But for a long time thats all I could see, took me a while to work out what it was. I think you need to set up your values a little better, so that her silhouette is reading a bit stronger. I would take out the flames covering her stomach, while it is good to add depth, you have enough overlap as it is and it just breaks her silhouette and value structure a little too much.

Nice work though I admire your ability to do sci fi >_>, looking forward to what you are producing next.

Thanks for the feedback Jaik, rather ironically I decided to do this image in grayscale 1st as I really wanted to pay attention to my value groupings. Guess I messed that up when doing the colours.
And I've been concentrating on my sci-fi stuff as I really enjoy painting it, but i need to do a bunch of fantasy stuff for my portfolio

quick studies:
[Image: rotk0541_zps23b9ebb5.jpg]
[Image: screenshot-lrg-33_zps367115cb.jpg]
quick sketches:
[Image: IMG_152_zpsceaca36d.jpg]

sci-fi enviro:
[Image: page23a_zpsfa2b8c3a.jpg]

oil-painting I'm busy working on:

[Image: P1020746_zpscf1230ff.jpg]

detail shot, still got ways to go with it....too many damn rocks to paint:
[Image: P1020745_zps0e9dc6fe.jpg]

Sweet.. damn it would be awesome to try traditional stuff someday.. :)

Ruuuuuuoushka!! Some badass work going on up in here :D

Lovin' the wip oil painting. I tip my hat off to you for pumping out the oils!
And great job on the quick still-life study.

Keep it going kidult!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
thanks kaffer and smrrfette!

wip for a new piece, trying to do more fantasy stuff for my portfolio, just starting simple for now:
[Image: portfolio3_zps1d79e040.jpg]

Beautiful brush work on your portraits, they look very polished and pleasing to the eye. Some of your pencil figures from imagination seem a bit on the short side though, however I think you have a nice composition in the one with the little bear guy behind the man with his hands together, seems like it would make for an interesting painting. keep up the hard work!

(01-09-2014, 12:21 AM)kidult Wrote: ... but I am actually planning on doing a bunch of thumbnails now... how did you know?!?

I'm watching you :P

Good stuff here, love those sci-fi pieces, and the soldier looks good so far, bring some hard edges there, finish him!

Good luck and keep working.

Thanks JonHop and dracken!

I don't usually save out progress shots as I feel I'm not doing anything different to all the other artists out there but here I can at least show how you can get nice detailing with good lighting by painting the form and light up 1st and then placing the details on top. still a work in progress:

[Image: portfolio3a_zps48a6cce7.jpg]

Wow! nice sketchbook Kidult! :D thanks for visiting mine and the little push to do more studies. After seeing all yours I must say I'm inspired, so thanks :)

re: the knight above, firstly, gorgeous armour! But I kinda prefer the suggested background textures in the first post to the more detailed ones above, the building drags my eye over a bit too much.

keep on truckin' :)

Thanks Angel_Intheuk

New piece:
Dorkus took his father's advice to heart at a young age. "Work hard and you can be the greatest knight of them all, The King's Guard." his father had said. He worked and trained for many years and finally achieved his goal, however one thing his father failed to mention was that the The King's Guard was nothing more than a baby sister for the king. While his mates from Knight School were out dying in great battles, he had to just stand there and make sure the king didn't wander off. At least the girls down by the pub were impressed with the shiny armor.

[Image: portfolio3flat.jpg]
some process steps:
[Image: portfolio3a.jpg]

Awesome level of detail.. one thing: the ornaments on the armor were done with bevel/emboss? Maybe if you flatten the FX and go in with some simple brushwork it wouldn't flatten it out.. Awesomeness otherwise