nutriman's quest for awesomeness
Really nice value studies and portraits. the best advice I can give with the imagination piece is jut to get that mileage in. draw alot from your imagination. but keep going! Thumbs_up

decided to give the material study thread a go...
didn't refine it though but got quite something out of it.

@CTrow Painting from reference is such a safe haven... so thanks for the friendly pressure to do more from imagination!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Photoshop CC2015 / MacBook Pro
Procreate / iPad Pro
My SB: nutriman's quest for awesomeness
Another Color Study, haven't seen it for a couple of days and all over sudden the color is pretty off!
I'm not jumping back in there...by the time i finished it i thought it was ok, so i'll just post it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Procreate / iPad Pro
Your color studies are amazing. You really have a great eye for color. I think you should focus more on form now, that migh be a harder part of the quest.

Keep this up!

I love the latest study, there is something of an aquarelle feel to it. Don't be afraid to push the contrast though, I might be wrong, but I think the darkest area is not as dark as the one from the photo.

Keep going :)
You're right Mayroo..I think the light values are ok but the darks go darker than mine.
Thanks for the pointer!

Thanks Piotr, too!! What would you recommend? Free form studies and Still life?

Procreate / iPad Pro
Probably any study that focuses on nailing the form of an object would be beneficial. Anatomy, objects in perspective, head construction studies etc.

just a quick one today...some whacky gestures between 2 and 5 min, man do I need to work on anatomy.

Attached Files Image(s)

Procreate / iPad Pro
2-10min gestures for today

Attached Files Image(s)

Procreate / iPad Pro
Another Color Sudy/ Master Study, this time a still life

C&C always welcome...i know i should be doing more from imagination but for today
i'll hide in the safety comfort zone of lame ass copying. ^^

Attached Files Image(s)

Procreate / iPad Pro
MAKING OF: https://youtu.be/r1v_ZFiaTzQ

Gotta love this feature :)

Procreate / iPad Pro
(02-12-2016, 08:54 AM)nutriman Wrote: Another Color Sudy/ Master Study, this time a still life

C&C always welcome...i know i should be doing more from imagination but for today
i'll hide in the safety comfort zone of lame ass copying. ^^

Original image has more darks in background and in the shadow.A table is not standing horizontal to the camera. The left side of the table is pushed a bit further away from us. The cup and the table reflects green-ish light from the bowl. Well, actually, the whole painting has saturated green color wash. So all objects here will absorb green.You have missed reflected light from the meat on the cutting board and on the knife.

Well,that's what i have spotted. ^_^  
Keep up!

The Way Of The S4MURAI  (sketchbook)
(02-12-2016, 11:06 AM)S4MURAI_CAT Wrote: Original image has more darks in background and in the shadow.

Maybe it's the monitor thin, but actually it's the study that seems darker.

@nutriman: I love the study. You did a really good job with colors. If I can add some nitpicking - if you look closely the metal cup and meat have more intense highlights.

Thank you guys, some helpful pointers there concerning highlights and bouncelights.
I love reflected light..dunno how I missed that one. Total tunnel vision I guess.
:)

Weekend is coming, hopefully I can whip something out of fantasy, think I might start with an
ultrasimple cute character.

Procreate / iPad Pro
Tried some 2-Value Sketches/ Notans from imagination for the first time.
What do you guys think?

Attached Files Image(s)

Procreate / iPad Pro
Quick Study and stylization of sparrows.. smells like angry birds but I swear I havn't gotten any inspiration from there. Stupid

Attached Files Image(s)

Procreate / iPad Pro
Ok, this might look like THE most boring thing ever but I got quite something out of it!

I know this scenery from my old 3D days, it's called a Cornell Box.
It's a nice "controlled" environment where you can practice the effects of Light and reflected light.

So different kind of Color study this time: I organized all the layers with maximum flexibility.
So I have Values, Local Color, Reflected Light, Cast Shadows and Ambient Occlusion on seperate Layers.

I'll continue on this one later today and I think I'm going to have the psd posted here for others to dissect.

Attached Files Image(s)

Procreate / iPad Pro
Heres the final for this color study.

In case you are interested, I made some sort of a mini tut by providing the file for you to dissect.
You can dl from here:  My Shared Files, freebies yay

[Image: attachment.php?aid=80884]

Procreate / iPad Pro
really good studies here man, try and do more from imagination though.
If you are still working on the mad meastro piece, i'd say the foreground and composition looks pretty good, but the shapes you used for the stand he's on look kinda confusing, Also too many very dark values, try and keep the most contrast on the meastro himself.

Thanks alot Triggerpigking, trying to put in more imaginative stuff in the future!
And thanks for commenting on the mad maestro, definitely going to consider your tips in case i'll take it to more refined values or color..

Procreate / iPad Pro