nutriman's quest for awesomeness
drawing figures from the internet is fine but tonight i had a blast at an actual  figure drawing session!!
First time I tried out the iPad pro on a live session - performed flawlessly :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Photoshop CC2015 / MacBook Pro
Procreate / iPad Pro
My SB: nutriman's quest for awesomeness
you know what my problem is?
I think i'm not good or fast enough for imaginative stuff which is completely BS I know..
In other words: If I want to lay down an idea I don't want to be limited by my skill level so thats why I bog down in these fundamentals..
Dunno if that makes sense to you but here's another color study, badum - tssss.

This time I applied value sketch first and then colored in afterwards.
I think it's much harder to get the color right this way, especially the low saturation levels..
But I see the advantage in flexibility for sure..

Attached Files Image(s)

Procreate / iPad Pro
aaand one for the material challenge:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=81091]

Procreate / iPad Pro
Nice studies. I think you miss a bit of yellow in your last colour study, but they do look good.
The figures look nice as well!

thank you Eyliana..that's very encouraging! Absolutely right with the yellows...I realized it immediately when viewing as a thumbnail.  Thumbs_up

Procreate / iPad Pro
Hey man, dont ever think you're not good enough for imagination stuff, it's the fun part in drawing which you shouldn't drop and go all-in on fundamentals. Fundamentals are great and essential for everyone, but you might fall into what people call "study-spamming" I explained how I go around that as a reply to you in my sketchbook. Of course my way is not the "correct way" but I feel like it works for me. I'd suggest trying it and doing what works for you.

The first times you start applying what you've learned and trying imaginative stuff will probably be way worse than what's in your head but it's like that for everyone, so just keep doing it and doing it, and eventually all you care about will be the fun you have doing this stuff. I don't think what matters is creating a pretty picture in the end, I think you should enjoy drawing and painting and doing imaginative work will help you get out of a study spamming cycle which might bore you out of art one day.

But, I think your studies are pretty great, you have a really good eye for values and color, and your figures look good too. You seem to have all the skills required to make imaginative stuff, so all you need is hand practice and some getting used to.

Have fun!

one more for the material challenge thread, great opportunity for some fast studies..
captain color dodge went overboard on this..

[Image: attachment.php?aid=81138]

Procreate / iPad Pro
one more from the material study thread:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=81148]

Procreate / iPad Pro
just can't seem to get enough of water/ waves.

5:00 am - phew...g'nite y'all

Attached Files Image(s)

Procreate / iPad Pro
Hey nutriman,

your value studies are good, the color studies are good too. But it is pretty obvious from your mad maestro, that you should do more imaginative stuff. There are people who become really good at copying, which is a great skill, but when you don't do imaginative stuff, you won't see what you are bad at.

Your figure drawings are cool in my opinion, do you already read through Loomis Figure drawing for what it's worth? Also the sparrows are funny, I am struggling with nice lines like that. Do you have a tip on drawing for me? You seem to vary lineweight a lot which is something I will try too. In your figure drawings, do you do the dark lines last?

For the mad maestro I did a quick overpaint.

I tried to push the values and seperate light and shadow more. also I added a greater sense of story to it, by setting the orchestra on fire. He wasn't really mad enough in my opinion. Also that way you could play with the strong spot light and the fire light, having a play of warm and cool colors.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Flo

Attached Files Image(s)

Please help me getting better by checking out my sketchbook

HOMEPAGE http://floart.weebly.com
Hey flo, that is actually a real nice twist...I really like the idea :)
Dunno if I will ever continue on this one.

In case you guys are wondering why no progress is going on here I'm on vacation right now..
I could only manage to squeeze in some urban sketch doodling for now.

Procreate / iPad Pro