That ghost dude sketchbook
Hey dudes, i just made my account in the forum (yesterday more precisely) and i've been lurking in all the sections looking for knowledge and getting inspired.
There's so much good stuff happening here, it's awesome to see this community working together, so much people fighting with themselves and with time.
I've been drawing by myself for some time now and i decided to take this serious this year, i'm so glad i found this place, i'm gonna start my sketchbook here and try to maintain the studies daily, if you guys have the time and the mind i would love some critiques too, sometimes it's hard to figure out by ourselves where we are messing up.

Sorry for the bad english, i'm Brazilian and thanks again for your time.

this and the last post... and hopefully the next one are all studies from January...

And the last one for today...

I've been trying to mess around with my wacom... damn it's just so f*@king hard to draw without looking at your hand, i don't like the way they turned out but i'm not giving up on it...

What a day... here are my daily studies, some women poses with simplifications os form and the fist lesson of the drawabox site, so hard, but so awesome stuff! :D

Hey man, you started your SB thread, yay! :) Bring on the stuuuuudies man. Looks like you are really chasing improvement.

On to the crits. It's good to see all the basic form and perspective studies you are doing. You are improving from them, but there are a few specific issues. I want to point out. First, line quality. You seem to be making multiple strokes where one would do. You'll learn about this on your first day doing Draw a Box. Then you have some perspective issues with your boxes and cylinders. Again, true to its name, Draw a Box will address those, like the near/far plane issue (nearby faces of the boxes are never smaller than further faces). You are drawing through some of your forms. Keep doing that- it will help you spot issues with your forms.

I don't have as much advice with your anatomy studies- I'm not focusing on anatomy at the moment so I don't know much. :D DERP But I will be getting to it soon. I can tell that some of your facial proportions and hands are a bit messed up, watch out for that. Just keep going, you are on the right track!!

P.S. Start Draw a Box already, from lesson 1! I think I mentioned this already but you'll want to check out Scott Robertson for freehand perspective stuff, he's amazing. ^^

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!
And you've already posted your Draw a Box stuff, and here I am posting without checking to see if you've updated. DERP :D Good work!! You are off to a great start here. You are actually doing better than I did, when I first started. ;D

Your superimposed lines look good, just keep practicing and tightening those up. Same with ghosted lines and planes. You are clearly taking the time to go through each exercise and do it properly. If you do that, you are bound to improve!! Of course, there are some specific issues you'll want to watch out for- you are a bit wobbly with those ghosted lines, but that's something that will cure with practice. I was terrible and I just practiced it to death 'til I got better. ^^

Do more of this stuff. I know it's basic, kind of boring, and kind of hard too... but everyone has to do it. Even professionals who have drawn for years still practice this regularly as warm-up exercises. As you progress at Draw a Box, you will want to keep doing the Lesson 1 stuff as regular warm-ups. And after you've completed the entire course, too. At first it seems like hard work but eventually it gets easier. And it makes a massive difference in your drawings.

The naked ladies look good, just keep practicing those figures and learning your anatomy. ^^ You're doing great, man, can't wait to see what you'll be making in the future!

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!
(02-03-2016, 01:26 PM)Sagittarius-A-star Wrote: And you've already posted your Draw a Box stuff, and here I am posting without checking to see if you've updated. DERP  :D Good work!! You are off to a great start here. You are actually doing better than I did, when I first started. ;D

Your superimposed lines look good, just keep practicing and tightening those up. Same with ghosted lines and planes. You are clearly taking the time to go through each exercise and do it properly. If you do that, you are bound to improve!! Of course, there are some specific issues you'll want to watch out for- you are a bit wobbly with those ghosted lines, but that's something that will cure with practice. I was terrible and I just practiced it to death 'til I got better. ^^

Do more of this stuff. I know it's basic, kind of boring, and kind of hard too... but everyone has to do it. Even professionals who have drawn for years still practice this regularly as warm-up exercises. As you progress at Draw a Box, you will want to keep doing the Lesson 1 stuff as regular warm-ups. And after you've completed the entire course, too. At first it seems like hard work but eventually it gets easier. And it makes a massive difference in your drawings.

The naked ladies look good, just keep practicing those figures and learning your anatomy. ^^ You're doing great, man, can't wait to see what you'll be making in the future!

Dude, thank you so much for checking my stuff, you've been so helpful with the critiques, for reals!
Yeah i clearly have a confidence problem with my lines, the exercises from the drawabox site are really saving me in this issue, thanks for the compliments on my lines, i was no really sure if i was doing well on that and the tip on the box faces, i'll even note that down lol.
On the anatomy side, i started a comic art school today (My ultimate goal is to develop a awesomely stylized lineart to get into the comic industry haha) and let's see where this gets me.
Quote:Dude, thank you so much for checking my stuff, you've been so helpful with the critiques, for reals!
Yeah i clearly have a confidence problem with my lines, the exercises from the drawabox site are really saving me in this issue, thanks for the compliments on my lines, i was no really sure if i was doing well on that and the tip on the box faces, i'll even note that down lol.

No problem man. ^^ The one thing I can't emphasize enough with the superimposed and ghosted lines is to just do them all the time as warmups, it really makes a difference. I draw much better when I've warmed up like that. The near-far plane thing is important, though there is an exception for boxes close to a vanishing point.

[Image: qo2HjKh.jpg]

[Image: TNCeOhv.jpg]

Just to be entirely clear, those are Uncomfortable's diagrams and notes, not mine. All my knowledge of boxes comes from Draw a Box, lol, so check the self critique resources and stuff. You'll find out about most of the common mistakes there.

Quote:On the anatomy side, i started a comic art school today (My ultimate goal is to develop a awesomely stylized lineart to get into the comic industry haha) and let's see where this gets me.

Awesome, best of luck with your art school journey man! Study hard. :D

Sketchbook!
(02-05-2016, 07:40 PM)Sagittarius-A-star Wrote:
Quote:Dude, thank you so much for checking my stuff, you've been so helpful with the critiques, for reals!

No problem man. ^^ The one thing I can't emphasize enough with the superimposed and ghosted lines is to just do them all the time as warmups, it really makes a difference. I draw much better when I've warmed up like that. The near-far plane thing is important, though there is an exception for boxes close to a vanishing point.

[Image: qo2HjKh.jpg]

[Image: TNCeOhv.jpg]

Just to be entirely clear, those are Uncomfortable's diagrams and notes, not mine. All my knowledge of boxes comes from Draw a Box, lol, so check the self critique resources and stuff. You'll find out about most of the common mistakes there.

Quote:On the anatomy side, i started a comic art school today (My ultimate goal is to develop a awesomely stylized lineart to get into the comic industry haha) and let's see where this gets me.

Awesome, best of luck with your art school journey man! Study hard. :D

Hey, dude, sorry for the late reply, my pc just came back from the "fixer" lol.
And yes i'm doing these exercises as warm ups too, they've really have been helping me with my woobly lines, thank you so much again for the boxes tips, they are helping me a lot, i'm gonna post some exercises from the comic school later! :D
Hey dudes, my pc is finally back from the dead and i'm joined a comic school and i'm focusing on the homework from it, these are some of it, they are all studies/copies except for the last one that is from my mind.