John's Thread (Used to be super active! Still the longest thread name ever in CD)
(02-16-2016, 12:55 AM)JyonnyNovice Wrote: Hey man, there's this study group: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7175.html

it's about materials but we've been doing mostly environment stuff so far, join in if you like, it's nice to struggle through this stuff with other people~

Great bargue drawing btw : )

Yes! Awesome thread! I'm reading it right now and there's a wealth of information here. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Time: 2.5-3 Hours
Left: Original

Bah. I didn't get to render some parts well.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
Hey, you have good study habits. Keep it up and eventually you'll start liking your results.
+1 for sketchbook name :)

(02-17-2016, 04:37 AM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: Hey, you have good study habits. Keep it up and eventually you'll start liking your results.
+1 for sketchbook name :)

Swear to god this is my "senpai noticed me" moment! Thank you! I really do look up to your work! Jesus, you can render those environments like no other.

----
Time: 2.5-3 Hours

(note: lost track of time, forgot to zoom in for details.)

----
(02-18-2016, 03:58 AM)John Wrote: Swear to god this is my "senpai noticed me" moment! Thank you! I really do look up to your work! Jesus, you can render those environments like no other.

Thank you, that is really flattering, but he truth is there are guys that are way better than me :)

Wow can I say, there's something so simple and minimal about your use of brushstrokes that I really admire. Unfortunately that was something I had to learn the hard way >_<...but keep up the good work m8
I really like your study from post 22. Great job!

(02-11-2016, 02:22 AM)John Wrote: My name is John.

I am starting this so I can track my progress. I do not like my work, not by a long shot. But oddly enough, I love making them. There's probably a name for that kind of disorder but I'd rather not look into that too deeply. Hopefully, your honest critiques pour in and my oversized art ego deflate.

Long live the Crimson Daggers.

nice going john 
i'll advice you to start studying values 
watch anthony jones video about values  Tongue 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXvQSEHbpBQ
and start using hard brush  and control your edges 
good luck.. Thumbs_up

(02-18-2016, 11:24 AM)yangdaniel027 Wrote: Wow can I say, there's something so simple and minimal about your use of brushstrokes that I really admire. Unfortunately that was something I had to learn the hard way >_<...but keep up the good work m8
Thank you so much for the kind words! But, like the song goes, it's a long way to the top! Let's do make it together!

(02-18-2016, 01:23 PM)Axrel Wrote: I really like your study from post 22. Great job!
Appreciate it!

(02-18-2016, 06:06 PM)Ankit_draws Wrote: watch anthony jones video about values  Tongue 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXvQSEHbpBQ
and start using hard brush  and control your edges 
good luck.. Thumbs_up
I'm about to turn in, but I will definitely check this one out before my eyes shut. I keep on botching the values so often. Thank you for this.

----
Time: 3 Hours

I should look at more trees.. Colors look too cartoony...

----
Yes but don't worry about it. Green is the HARDEST color to get right.. some artists even avoid it!!

Photoshop CC2015 / MacBook Pro
Procreate / iPad Pro
My SB: nutriman's quest for awesomeness
(02-20-2016, 12:21 AM)nutriman Wrote: Yes but don't worry about it. Green is the HARDEST color to get right.. some artists even avoid it!!

You hit the nail right on the head. I actually avoided green in my study and went bordering on the yellows

Time: around 5-6 Hours.

Notes: leaves shifts color (to something warmer, like yellow?) if sunlight is strong enough to shine through.
But... light also bounces off of leaves, leaving a desaturated highlight.

Leaves look good if you sneak in a little bit of orange / orange red!

----
Color Study

Time: 1 Hour

Not at all happy that I am getting complacent.

----
Master Study: Section from Torbole by Peder Mork Mønsted
Time: 2 Hours

Plant Study
Time: < 1 Hour

----
your studies are looking really nice, and the plants from before are great : ) I like the way you painted the master study - whatever brushes / process you used is definitely worth pursuing!

Remember to apply your studies with something from imagination as well! (or just drawing it again from memory) else the knowledge you gained can become hazy and lost in your head!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
(02-23-2016, 08:25 AM)JyonnyNovice Wrote: your studies are looking really nice, and the plants from before are great : ) I like the way you painted the master study - whatever brushes / process you used is definitely worth pursuing!

Remember to apply your studies with something from imagination as well! (or just drawing it again from memory) else the knowledge you gained can become hazy and lost in your head!

Thanks for the encouraging words! Brushes I used were just the basic round brush for the base and a textured brush that does not taper!

It's true, I haven't made anything from imagination. I'm still uncomfortable or scared to take the training wheels off (I still can't fully grasp environments!). But rest assured I will be doing that if I get more experience with regards to how things work.

Attached Files Image(s)

----

----
John, do you set a time limit for your works beforehand or do you just note the time it took you to finish?

I realized it from gesture drawing that limiting time can be a good thing to learn how to make the important marks but on color studies I don't like to set a time limit..but it might be a good thing there too, I might go for it if recommended.

I really like the newer greenish studies (especially Dracaena), they look much more natural than the saturated garish one from before!

Photoshop CC2015 / MacBook Pro
Procreate / iPad Pro
My SB: nutriman's quest for awesomeness
(02-26-2016, 02:48 AM)nutriman Wrote: John, do you set a time limit for your works beforehand or do you just note the time it took you to finish?

I realized it from gesture drawing that limiting time can be a good thing to learn how to make the important marks but on color studies I don't like to set a time limit..but it might be a good thing there too, I might go for it if recommended.

I really like the newer greenish studies (especially Dracaena), they look much more natural than the saturated garish one from before!

Yes, I do set a time limit. An hour at least. When I lose discipline, or I feel that I got nothing out of the study, I extend until I think I got at least a nugget out of it. Which could go on for a couple more hours, or at least until I get tired of it.

I agree with you on not setting a time limit on color studies. But, there are times I slave away for hours on end without knowing, which is just me pretty much just going into zombie mode.

Thanks for the comment! I really tried to pick the right colors on those studies!

Time: 1 Hour
Study: Bargue study

Original: Left
Time: Forever
Study: Ruo Li (Thanks to Amit for the reference!)

----