CGMythology's Sketchbook
I would suggest learning abit more about how sythe are made and hold togetheer specially since you made the scythe a center of focus.Just a hint they didn't glue the metal piece and the wood together...

You can learn more here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9usvYAzOGUQ

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
I agree w/ darktiste. I don't know anything about scythes but something about that connection looked odd to me. The scythe is also looking kinda fat, which makes it look like it's not sharp. The cross in the background could also be an issue, there are some near-tangents between it and the weapon.

I think grim homie is looking good though. And this idea of combining the ref pose and 3D lighting is smart.

(03-23-2024, 12:50 PM)cgmythology Wrote: I decided to combine a new illustration with a study on lighting to slow things down.  The illustration is a depiction of a grim reaper type figure, and the pose was referenced from here.  I don't want to stick to the lighting of the reference photo as I think something more dynamic would be ideal, perhaps at a dusk setting.  

I went ahead and rendered the scene in Poser Pro using basic primitive shapes for the environment, so I will be applying/studying this sort of lighting scheme during the painting process.  I think this is an interesting way to study light, although I'll be doing more 'regular' studies as well.  

Below is the sketch followed by the render.  Any feedback on the sketch before I begin painting it in would be most appreciated!
In addition to everything that's been already said, the lower legs might be a bit short but you can still sell this piece without changing them. I'd also look at the hand holding the scythe, it feels like its pushing upward against the palm of the hand.

Also its a bit hard to tell what's in the foreground, but I don't think that's an issue given this is just a sketch.