CGMythology's Sketchbook
darktiste:  Yep, that's a good suggestion regarding the blood.  Great suggestion regarding the snow on the figure as well, just implemented it!

Dominicque: Yep, haven't painted one in a while so I wanted to challenge myself with one!  Great suggestions as well!

I resumed work on the painting and did a ton of work to refine it, and I'd say it's pretty much done.  Implemented all the feedback I received and the image is all the better for it I hope!  As always, please feel free to let me know if there's anything that feels off as there's still time for changes! Below is the image followed by the steps for those interested.

Wow great work men you beat my expectation once again.I think the next big thing will be value and color i think there is space to grow there but i can't put my finger on it yet.

I also think that you have to make it cleary if thing are tattoo or war paint if they are tattoo i would say more of the skin color would bleed through as it in the skin and not over the skin.Saturation doesn't always make sense as a tattoo would age and loose pigment over time.If you want to give something a war paint look a bit of imperfection and ''brush mark'' can help make a difference.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Great looking piece once again dude. I think you nailed the winter scene you were going for and his expression kills it. 

Just a couple things stick out to me at the minute. Right now it kind of feels like you hit everything but his face with a Gaussian blur, now I think that really pulls him forward makes and you go straight to his expression which is works well…however i almost wish the severed head and axe head were slightly sharper to give more of that 3d look at he is emerging from the blizzard. Just my two cents. 

And the shoulder piece is bothering me a little bit since I don’t know how it is being worn it kind of looks like he has a really hairy pec and shoulder. If we could see how it was attached it might help. But I think the part that is confusing me is the way the lower half of the neck side looks like it could growing out of him. The top section looks good as it shows the fur curling out with the wind. I threw a quick PO to help show where I mean and an example of how it could be approached to give it a clothing look with a piece of trim.

One last thing is the wind, Was the decision to not have a consistent wind direction ( fur vs severed head hair) an attempt to give the impression of a swirling wind? If so disregard this comment, but having all the wind susceptible elements hit with a similar direction could have gone a long ways (the boot fur, loincloth, shoulder, wolf fur, severed head hair) and to really sell it I would have hit that epic beard too. Although it looks thick and heavy I would have let that baby fly in the wind. :)

Hope that helps keep up the great work !

Darktiste:  Thank you, that's great to hear!  I do think in terms of values the snow flattened the image a bit, so I just duplicated the background and set it to 'overlay' to give it a bit more contrast.  Great point regarding the tattoo, but in this case I'm going for something more fantastical and less realistic, so I'm fine with the slightly oversaturated look for the tattoo.  Great feedback as always!

CBinnsIllustration:  Thank you!  I think the slightly blurry look is due to the snow, which I slightly blurred as to not over sharpen it as it would take away from the characters.  Excellent point regarding the shoulder fur, just implemented your feedback and it looks much more natural now, thank you for the suggestion and paintover!

I did some minor revisions to the image, added some subtle contrast in the background and added a gold 'rim' on the shoulder area as suggested to separate the fur more.  Great suggestions from everyone!

Next I finished up a sketch depicting 'Apollo and Daphne' from Greek Mythology.  The figures were referenced from Satine Zillah's awesome reference photography.  I'm trying to go with a classical feel for this one, hopefully I can pull it off!  Any feedback before I begin work on some color tests would be appreciated as always!

Went ahead and did some color tests.  My favorites are D and F, so I'll probably develop one of those two.  Please feel free to let me know what you feel works best however as I will take it into consideration!

personally I’m more drawn to B, it’s gives off a somewhat monochromatic wasteland vibe where life is scarce and hope is all but lost. :)

Also it feels like her left leg (viewed right) should be a tad longer and slightly realigned, I’m having trouble connecting the legs to the pelvis in a draw through. Maybe I just need to see the ref you used to and it would clear that up. But this should be a really nice piece when you’re done, I love the skin/bark texture you put on her.

Also is his left foot sitting on a root? From the shading It looks to be a large root at the minute which would cause his foot to wrap around it more in order to stand up. I would maybe consider changing the foot shape or move the root a bit

It dramatic but i wish there was more foreshorten as if she was almost falling over a little more toward the viewer in a anti clock wise direction from the men perspective failling more than she is now so we could see her expression and the one of the men also and i would probably zoom much more as i feel the action is very intimate and would benefit from that i believe.At moment is almost look more like a r*pe because we are missing much of the expression and the hand seem to suggest a struggle.

Right now i am have a problem with the tree in the colored version i am not sure if it coming out of her or if it behind her and where the trunk is if that a tree behind her?I think that might be why you choose that angle so as not to create to much overlap with the truck but in that case it hard to tell what going on as we don't see where it coming out of...

In term of composition the tree doesn't help the composition in the current compositio i would argue it lead the eye outside the canva try to make the branch curve toward the subject a little more to create a flow that cycle around the piece.

Both foot don't look like they are really holding is weight they look like after thought at moment

I think the cropped version i provided(no PO what so ever) as even more of that classical look it almost look like a sculpture once you remove the background that i believe doesn't really contribute to the story that much.It obviously not following any of the advise i gave but it still an alternative to the herculean task i have in mind for you.

I really which we could see you be looser in the sketch phase i like the confidence i am just not sure if it serving you to be that commited. The problem i see and tell me if i am wrong is how you would be able to foresee any problem if you don't try anything beyond the first it almost as if you don't want to try to bother you want it to flow but there a difference between a well thought composition and star allign on the the first try. Again i am from a concept art perspective but i don't understand why you prefer spending 6 hour more on something if it not to have a resolve composition. I understand the urge to draw.But i also urge you to think not saying you don't.
You don't need a ton of iteration but i think it good to have option maybe 1 to 12 of them and the key really is the small size they shouldn't take long it really more about composition and gesture you do alot of the value thumbnail but i feel that the easy answers to ''let give them what they want'' you don't do this for me.I think thumbnailling that what can really help you push and be more considerate in your choose so that there is a lot less space for question right now i feel like i got space for critic because you don't as much preliminary exploration and i question if i am contributing to much for your own good.But again i am also ask myself why i am asking that of you.I am helping or not...

I wish you all the best you know that.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
CBinnsIllustration:  Interesting choice!  I think B would be the most depressing, but in this case I think I'll go with a more colorful feel to contrast the darkness of the story.  I'll see what I can do about the foot, I think it'll look more natural with some shading.

darktiste:  Excellent points, I agree that it could benefit from a closer zoom so I did some adjustements on the composition, hopefully it works better now.  I usually do a lot of loose sketches for commission work, personal work I'm usually decided on a pose so I have a clearer idea of what I have in mind and build around that, but maybe a different approach might work better.  I'll take that into consideration for my next piece!

I decided to go with 'D' and developed it further.  Still has a long way to go but I'm fairly happy with how it's shaping up.  The skin/bark will be a bit tricky, I want it to look very organic and as 'natural' as possible all things considered.  Here is the current progress:

Good start, her pelvis region reads better now due to the skin break which wasn’t obvious in the sketch, and she looks less awkwardly twisted now. But I think it looked clearer with him straddling the trunk and not side saddling it as he is now.  But I guess it all depends on what action they are doing, is he just holding her? Or are they knock’n boots? If it’s the later you might want to consider having the trunk moved to the FG possibly which might give him a less “im just gonna hump your leg you don’t mind right?” vibe ;) but you chose a pretty tough pose so kudos for giving it a go!

Also I think if the two skin tones were a little more contrasting it would help with the readability. I think a little ash, or a cooler grey added to her would look cool. Good luck with one dude

There a part of her leg missing it seem in the gap between them we shouldn't see the background there no?

I gotta say the color are working very well when i look at them from a far which is general a good sign and the silhouette work very well to so sometime it not necessarly about all the detail but the overall i just like very strong storytelling i think it what really make me to me want to look at a painting and geek over it but that just because i am an artist i think.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
CBinnsIllustration:  Glad to hear it! I don't want it to be clear what's happening as it leaves things to the imagination, which is ideal given the subject matter.  Great point about the skin tones, implemented your feedback!

darktiste:  That's correct, good eye.  I just fixed the issue.

And the image image is finished!  Of course there's still time for changes if something is really off, but I'm very pleased with it overall.  Here is the final followed by the steps for those interested:

Next up I started a new sketch, something of a cross between the God of the Sun and the God of Fire.  Portraits are comfort food for me and I haven't done one in a bit, so I'm excited to get started on this one.  Before I begin working on some color tests, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on the sketch as I want to make sure it's OK before dedicating color to it, so please let me know!

I would say i am more of a fan of the version where she isn't all bark up i don't know the story but isn't she human before turning into the tree? Would be nice to have the root and her turn slowly into the tree rather than being already turn into one.But i suppose since there a tree coming out of her it make more sense.I just find in between transformation really cool that all.

The grass is amazing and the bird are a nice touch i can also see that you included element to create flow such as the leaf so great job

For the next piece he look ready to go since it in your comfort zone it show.

My Sketchbook
The last piece turned out great! Love the bark texture you went with its well done throughout. I would only have a few small things that stick out to me, one is her ear, it being the only thing that didn’t get hit with the bark makes it really stand out. Maybe a transition there could help mesh it more with her body, or possibly just bring a bit of the green into it. 

The other thing is would be his skin, right now it has little bit of a smoothed clay feel to it. Comes down to personal approach on skin and from your other renders I have seen you render skin with a more intentional variance (texture, shine, sweat, veins, fibers etc.), maybe with some blues and pink undertones to break up the brown on the larger areas. But like I said it’s personal choice and the piece looks great. The leaves really do add a lot to this one.

One last one might just be totally me but his FG foot does give off a floating appearance at the minute. It might just be that leaf that is right below it is looking like it’s right under it and in its cast shadow. 

The new portrait looks strong, no crits at all from me

Darktiste:  Very interesting feedback;  Personally I found it much more interesting to depict her in the metamorphosis between the two.  Thanks for your input as always!

CBinnsIllustration:  Thank you! Good point about the ear, but I wanted it to be clear it's a human figure and seeing as how the eye and nose are covered I didn't want to over do it so I left the ear as 'normal'. As for the foot, not sure what's giving it that floaty appearance since I have a shadow underneath, but I'll take another look at a later point.  Glad you're looking forward to the portrait as well.  Thanks for your input again!

I did some color tests for 'Helios', my two personal favorites are E and F.  I'm torn between the two to be honest so I'd love to hear everyone's input on what works best, so please let me know!

I get more of a vilain vibe from your color test than a sun and fire god i feel like he should look more luminous which mean more gold,red and white.He remind me more of hades and a mix of ares.

Is face is not helping detach from this feeling my concern also deal with is expression which show bad intention it distorted and unwelcoming.
The other thing is the facial feature the nose pointy, pointy chin, ear pointy and pointy eyebrow .I am not sure if you understand what all those shape are saying in term of shape language but to me they are going against what i would exept not that it good to expect but that there is a line between making something new and making something recognisable as a derivation of a know figure.

I would call for an other round of color test and possible change or maybe you could explain where you want this to go because i feel it far of at the moment. Also he seem more roman than greek but that just the armor i think since i tend to think greek often dispict there god bare chest and they have an admiration for physical beauty which seem opposite to what i am seeing.

Not my intent to seem bashy i think we might just be far from one and other own interpretation.

My Sketchbook
darktiste:  Great feedback!  I agree that the image gives a more 'Hades' feel with the blue color tests, so I opted for the warmer one.  Additionally, I've decided this won't be 'Helios' but a fire god still, not the one based from Greek Mythology as I have something else in mind for that one.  So this character is fantasy based which works better I feel.

I finished up the illustration, went with 'E' as the colors there give more of an impression of the sun or fire.  I'm pretty satisfied with how the image turned out overall.  I will also be writing a tutorial on how this image was created for my official website, free of charge, this week.  In the future I'll also record a video tutorial on how to paint a portrait as well, should be fun! 

Below is the final followed by the steps for those interested. Any final input on the image would be appreciated as well!

Looks great! Another nice piece. My only feedback on this one is I feel his thumb is looking a tad too big and now that I’ve noticed that it really sticks out. I also really like the dynamic lighting you put on his face although given the position of where the hand is in relation to his face the fighting would not really be such a dramatic under light. I looks, at the moment, like when you put a flashlight under you chin to tell a ghost story, but I can see why you made that decision for a more extreme look, I like it, so just an observation really. If anything maybe a little more light on the top of his nose fading to the bridge would help.

The skin texture to me is to heavy and it generally better to show the texture in the terminator section of the volume in a over expose light scenario the light tend to wash away texture which is really shadow of small hole,crack or cavity that are very soft if the texture is bumpy you got a good deal of contrast but since it not gravel or bark for example there isn't that angularity found in skin that would give a strong texture in the specific light scenario.

My Sketchbook
That last piece looks cool :3  I think that hand is too close to his body losing a bit of depth , it looks like below his nose. 
Maybe a bit more of variation of shapes((fire , particles,etc) , space between elements,dynamism(yeah im obssesed with that :) ) , a cooler/darker bg will add more contrast and distinction between foreground/bg . Thumbs_up

Attached Files Image(s)

'The best way to have a good ideas is to have a lot of ideas ' Linus Paulingth
CBinnsIllustration:  Thank you!  I made the changes you mentioned, great critiques!  I did take some artistic liberty regarding the lighting on the face to give it a scarier vibe, I know it's technically not 100% correct but I feel it works better this way!

darktiste:  Interesting feedback on the skin texture, I want it to appear very rough like and not human so I did take some artistic liberty in that regard.  I could probably blur it a bit but I don't want to lose the skin texture so I think I'll leave that aspect as is for now.  Thanks for your input as always!

Abnormal:  Thank you!  Your feedback is excellent!  Just incorporated pretty much everything you illustrated with your paintover, thanks for taking the time to do that, really helped me improve the piece.  I really need to pay more attention to my grayscale values it seems so I'll keep an eye on that for future illustrations.  Thanks again!

Made some final changes to the illustration based on the feedback received.  It was a bit tricky because I have flattened the layers a few steps ago but I think I managed quite well.  I'm very satisfied with the image now, I think it's a substantial improvement with the feedback implemented, so thanks to all who contributed!  Here is the final:

Next up a new sketch, started on this quite some time ago and finalized the linework recently, it took some time given the complexity of the image but I'm overall satisfied with the sketch.  The figures were referenced from The Pose Archives here. I tried to stay true to the overall gestures/poses of the reference while coming up with what are some interesting character designs, I hope!  Any input before I get started on some color tests would be most appreciated.  Below is the sketch: