Janet's sketchbook
Hey guys! I am a newb at CD and it looks like a really cool place, so why not start with a sketchbook. I got my first tablet in late 2015 so I'm currently painting and cursing avoiding colors up until that point. I also suck at detailed work... I'm not off to a great start, is what I am saying

I already whip myself to paint daily so I'll gladly post stuff here too. Drop by, say hi, hand out some crits- I appreciate anything! 

Today's study
[Image: tumblr_o3gvhviC0W1r5uyfio3_540.png]

[Image: tumblr_o3gvhviC0W1r5uyfio4_540.png]

Man, should really do studies of things that have pictures and real life representations, I did struggle some... But hey, Zeratul's got some nice thongs going on. 

I really need to shake off my bad habits from graphite realism drawing where I worked on a piece from top to bottom rather than taking the whole image into account, it really hindered my ability to correctly evaluate how shadows and highlights work on different forms. EHH.

find my embarrassing old art in my blog
Studying should be fun, no need to "whip" yourself to force them. Great start of your sketchbook!
(03-05-2016, 03:45 AM)BrushNoir Wrote: Studying should be fun, no need to "whip" yourself to force them. Great start of your sketchbook!

Thanks, and I totally agree! But sometimes I have to make myself study to keep my daily streak going :P

I need to take longer breaks when drawing, hand pain is very real right now...

I drew the faces from memory and technically only the figure is a study from a pose stock, I struggled a bunch with different poses until I stuck to a rather safe standing pose. Mental note- time for anatomy studies.[Image: tumblr_o3iskiLRBI1r5uyfio1_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_o3j3poMgYC1r5uyfio1_1280.png]

Last study of the day- the dreaded hands! I think thumbs were created as a conspiracy to make me feel bad as an artist, must be  Stupid

i like your tumblr, you have really nice pencils, maybe doing one of your portraits in photshop with some tutorial technique would do the trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWbTpVKYEZA

the way he uses the layers i mean, i might be wrong doe people ussually have diferent preference in process :D
(03-05-2016, 01:23 PM)Nick C. Wrote: i like your tumblr, you have really nice pencils, maybe doing one of your portraits in photshop with some tutorial technique would do the trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWbTpVKYEZA

the way he uses the layers i mean, i might be wrong doe people ussually have diferent preference in process :D

I appreciate that! And thanks for the link, I do follow Negrea since he's amazing but I think I've missed that one, watching his process is really damn inspiring and lots of help. I think it's a pretty good idea to dedicate tomorrow's sketchbook entries for portrait studies Thumbs_up

(03-05-2016, 04:30 AM)herkkusieni Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 03:45 AM)BrushNoir Wrote: Studying should be fun, no need to "whip" yourself to force them. Great start of your sketchbook!

Thanks, and I totally agree! But sometimes I have to make myself study to keep my daily streak going :P

Hehe yeah I have to admit that I have that aswell sometimes. Keeping up momentum really helps indeed.

[Image: tumblr_o3kxqdXd2C1r5uyfio1_1280.png]

So I did try a portrait/color study today, I am not particularly happy with it, the shadows under the eyes for example, but I think I might work on it with fresh eyes later on and do some easier doodles in the meanwhile c:

Hey, nice sketchbook. My piece of advice would be to do some head constructions from Loomis or someone else. It helps to understand how to put a head and facial features in perspective. Your hand studies are great. Try to do as many photo/life studies as you can, it's really hard to get that right just from your mind.

Keep it up!

(03-06-2016, 02:45 PM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: Hey, nice sketchbook. My piece of advice would be to do some head constructions  from Loomis or someone else. It helps to understand how to put a head and facial features in perspective. Your hand studies are great. Try to do as many photo/life studies as you can, it's really hard to get that right just from your mind.

Keep it up!

Thank you very much! I'm glad you reminded me of Loomis, I worked with some of his books a very long time ago but I think I was too young and inexperienced to really get 100% out of his ample knowledge, I think it's time I revisit, Successful Drawing will probably help me lots with my current troubles c:

Maaan it's been a while, exams have taken my will to post anything ;-;

But now I have a bunch of free time, more than what I know to do with... so I practice!

I did these two dudes as a warm-up, not worrying too much about details or anything, I think today will be a full-body anatomy sketch day :p

[Image: tumblr_o4c6aj6Rxo1r5uyfio1_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_o4c96rhGkH1r5uyfio1_1280.png]

[Image: NHykowI.png]

[Image: oOaSFUt.png]

Welcome! Love the last hand in the 5th post, it has that energy to it :)

(03-21-2016, 02:11 PM)crackedskull Wrote: Welcome! Love the last hand in the 5th post, it has that energy to it :)

Thank you, great to be here! And thanks for the nice words, I struggle a lot with hands but I'm putting the hours in to practice as much as I can c:

[Image: tumblr_o4d0k1Cszf1r5uyfio1_1280.png]

I think I might call it a day since it's 1 am and I was sketching so long in a row that when I finally stretched my hands and cracked my fingers I'm pretty sure I woke my whole apartment building with the crackles I produced D: No pain no gain...I guess...

[Image: tumblr_o4espeUB5M1r5uyfio1_1280.png]

It's a shoes day, I'd gladly give my hand a break sometimes if I'd ever remember to do that during drawing Stupid

Hey, if you are having issues with your hand, maybe its bad ergonomic setup?
Heres a thread I dug out and it had people with some hand issues too http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-1...ight=wrist

Ive had issues myself, with the wrist specifically. I found out the following has helped me:
1. standing desk to have the tablet on an incline towards you
2. a short break every hour to stretch arms(also good to just walk around a bit and freshen your eyes)
3. draw with elbow/shoulder
4. Draw slower
5. stop grasping the stylus so hard

@crackedskull that's really good advice! The hardest part is to remember it all throughout the drawing, I'll set my tablet at an incline, put an alarm every hour and rest of it I'll write onto a post-it and slap it on my screen, if that won't help then nothing will!

[Image: tumblr_o4gqvxOmSb1r5uyfio1_1280.png]

On a completely unrelated note, I picked up MGSV:PP again after a long break.

[Image: tumblr_o4hvc1y6X91r5uyfio1_1280.png]

Some sketches for fun!