AChi's WIP
To be honest, I never really watch GOT Blushing , only quickly went thru the first 4 seasons using fastforward and that was years ago. So I have rough ideas of the genre and styles but I dont really remember the houses and some characters.

Because of that, Im goin to do the first option, which is the new "House Negrea"

I did some study on beetle first and made notes below. And i tried some compositions, but I think it still lack of the "connection to nature", Iam setting it as an agricultural society, so lots of crop fields...

But on the other hand I want some forest and jungle for giant beetles, and increase the connection of nature and recall the relationship of beetles. <----will try that tmr

Attached Files Image(s)

Like the 3rd sketch a lot! that temple.
I like the idea of the family having some actual connection to beetles, instead of it just being their logo. Giant Beetles in a forest seems a little too high-key fantasy for the SoIaF universe though.. maybe you could be more subtle and have fist-sized messenger beetles or something like that.
If you really like the idea you can still go with it of course. You'll just have to make the connection with the franchise apparent somehow.

Great start! Just a note, if you are going with House Negrea, try and keep it within the game of thrones era and style. It is fine to use other cultures to reference, because GoT does do this but be careful or it might look like a totally unrelated thing completely. Either way carry on, do what you feel is right, this is about self-development, not winning a brief. :)

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Can't wait to see more! I wonder what kind of an animal is there on the bottom environment sketch. Is it a huge beetle?

I like the 2nd from left thumbnail. Also I love the brushstroke usage in the beetle sigil sketches.

Thank you everyone for the comments Party 

I do the second sets of composition sketches. I was thinking about giant beetles helping people do works in daily life, and now I give up this idea. I agree with Lodratio, to fit the GOT era, I better set the beetles in their normal sizes.

But, I still do a sketch about a giant beetle, it might be the guardian of the house or people from the house of Negrea need to hunt/tame beetles? or it's the secret treasured beetle....?I dont know what im talking about Blushing

The other sketches, I dont think about drawing certain items, but just try to get the composition comfortable, and maybe telling a story. Personally I prefer the top left. The bottom middle one doesnt look like it fits the setting of the house of Negrea but I just keep it there for practice and maybe for next work Rolling eyes, funny thought

Attached Files Image(s)

Yo, AChi! Your sigil is killer--! Absolute fave, great work!

Haha, we're in the same boat about why we chose option A lmao
Also holy crap, our ideas are similar!
No need to feel embarrassed about sharing your thoughts and ideas ~ this is a no judgment zone, let it all out - as crazy as it may seem ;)

These thumbs are really promising. It'll be interesting to see where you take your illus n_n really looking forward to where you go from here!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
(03-18-2016, 02:42 PM)smrr Wrote: Yo, AChi! Your sigil is killer--! Absolute fave, great work!

Haha, we're in the same boat about why we chose option A lmao
Also holy crap, our ideas are similar!
No need to feel embarrassed about sharing your thoughts and ideas ~ this is a no judgment zone, let it all out - as crazy as it may seem ;)

These thumbs are really promising. It'll be interesting to see where you take your illus n_n really looking forward to where you go from here!

Hi smrr, I read thru your thread and … yes! We are soooo similar haha

I was thinking to introduce some Egyptian culture, but then I realise that, the typical impression of Egypt, desert,sun,hot weather....doesn't show the relationship of "Spring"

I am focusing on developing my thumnail, I want lots of trees...and a little but of beetle.

a rough idea

Attached Files Image(s)

Comp looks quite good. My main issue would be that we can't see much of the character design and legs of the horse are too short.

I did some details on the character today, as Piotr addressed the issue. I didnt design the character "Negrea" way, instead, he's only a random,outsider who is guided by a beetle to come to this castle hidden behide jungles. I havent figured out where to add the beetle, it should be a focus point reflects light among the shadows.

I think I will "hide" this path a bit with plants/rocks to make it more like a hidden path.

Attached Files Image(s)

I like the drawing but composition doesnt work for me for some reason.Or it might be perspective, dont know.

Yeah, I agree with Liberty on perspective issue, but you did a great job on painting. You may put some beetle carvings on trunks of trees.

This is looking great! nice colors and lighting. I think the perspective issue could be fixed by a simple value gradient to show the road is curving.
I struggled with perspective a lot. and I went to ask other people someone suggested to make it look like going up stairs.   I quickly draw this idea and (I think) it looks better now.

I need to find more reference for the horse and plants.

Attached Files Image(s)

I try another sketch from previous draft, the shape of castle in the middle references the shape of beetle's horn, Im not sure what should be at the front and mid view yet, they look pretty messy here

Attached Files Image(s)