Bjork 's CC 1: GoT Game?
So, it's about time to upload some wips.
What I've planned so far is to create a redesign of the Lannisters, in this case mainly focusing on Cersei, where I will try to imagine what they would look like in ancient Egypt. I'm probably going to be mixing a little of the Nubian culture into as well. 

I'm trying out different compositions, not sticking to anything too early on, meanwhile I do some studies to keep me going and to get to know the environment better inspire.
One thing I'm afraid of is that I'll sway too far away from the GoT feel that it'll look more like a painting based in egypt rather than a GoT redesign so that's a thing I'll have to keep an eye on

Attached Files Image(s)

Lovely studies, great expression on that portrait, though if it was Cersei I imagine she would be way more scheming :)  

In terms of workflow, studying beforehand to get inspiration is fine of course as any study will help you down the line, but it isn't particularly efficient. I would tend to figure out what it is I wanted, then do studies directly applicable to the piece. But you know, do what works for you.

Yeah I think you nailed the main problem to solve. How do you get a strong connection back to the original IP? Well if you look at some of the exemplar redesigns, a few things stand out.   

[Image: batman.jpg?1443929368]
Strong iconic shape language is retained. So in this Jason Kang batman redesign, the dude still had the iconic bat ears, covered top half of face , spurred gauntlets, and the general armoured heavy shape of batman.  
Second is contextual clues, The robin is a nice nod that people would recognize, the massive Bat "mobile" drinking in the background. 
In general I would say it is about translation of the iconic elements that make something what it is, but redesigning around those, while integrating them intelligently into the new scene. Hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing this develop!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Seems like a really good start. As for keeping the GoT feel, try implementing some elements that can be common for both cultures. Lion and egipt fit well together. Maybe some gold lion ornaments?

Anyway keep this up :)

It's amazing how you managed to give Cersei a different skin tone and different facial features, make her look like she's from a different part of the world and still keep her recognizable. I really look forward to seeing you progress in this :)

failure is a badge of honour 

sketchbook / tumblr 
your got some great stuff going on, love the thumbs, I like you idea going Nubian, will be interesting to incorporate the House Lannister into your image, I do agree with Piotr that golden lions could give it the House Lannister feel, I also see you have the Iron throne in some of your thumbs it also could be a key to a recognizable GoT world... cant wait to see more...
I love this idea! I think the Lannisters would fit well in ancient Egypt, and I think some more subtle reds and yellows would help drive home that it's a GoT redesign. I think the portrait study you did is pretty good, you managed to change her ethnicity yet keep her still recognizable, so well done. I think as long as you have the basic design elements of the Lannisters and something distinguishable like the Iron Throne in your composition, then you shouldn't have a problem having it be obviously GoT. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks so much for all your feedback guys! I did a couple more messy thumbs (gotta work on getting better at those) to figure out what direction I want to go in.
I think I'm going for something inside the throne room. As some of you have mentioned it'll be much easier to make it recognisable that way both because the iron throne is there and because of the decorations I can implement.
One thing that came to mind is I should take house Baratheon into consideration as well. But since their sigil is a stag and stag's aren't found in Egypt, I was thinking I could change that to an antelope, seeing as it's kind of similar.

Also did I more clear thumbnail to get the basic gist of the room. And yeh... Pet lion anyone? <3 

Next up, more thumbs and Cersei design exploration! (?maybe?)

Attached Files Image(s)

Great update! Keep it up :)

Hey man great studies/progress. As for the sigil problem, you could also use a gazelle (very similar to a stag and ancient egyptions knew of them).

keep it up!

Attached Files Image(s)

Your coomps are loking really good. Keep this up!

Looks great! I really like the idea of exchanging the stag with an antelope. Also, that "pretty lion" note is cute.

failure is a badge of honour 

sketchbook / tumblr 
Thanks you guys! 
I've mainly been working on how I want Cersei to look today, but I've also tried to put some thought into what thumbnail I want to take to a finished stage. I tried making some more today, but seeing as my time is pretty limited because of school I didn't get that many done. I think I might go with the more defined one I made yesterday and make changes here and there to make the overall composition better.

I'll see what I can get done tomorrow. My school project is nearing it's end so now it's crunch time hehe

Attached Files Image(s)

Really good stuff. Enjoy watching  you work. I love the way you studied her face.
Oh snaaaaaaaaap!

Great wips, great studies! Can really see you exploring different avenues

I really dig that you're problem solving on point. Like your idea about the sigil not matching the times that you're focusing on. An antelope is a fantastic choice! Can't wait to see what you come up with for those n_n

Oooh, your Cersei is looking foine! ;)

Yay, school project almost over!
Butt kickery time!

Keep up the great work, Bjork ^ ^

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
JadeSky: Thanks! I probably need to do a couple more exploration with the hair and such :P

Smrr:  Thank you! ^^  
It's so much fun just exploring the different possibilities.

Been really busy the past two days so I unfortunately have not been able to do much drawing :(
I did a few more thumbs. I thought I had a composition I wanted to go for but then realised it didn't describe the idea nor mood well enough. So I changed it again and I'm probably be going for the bottom right thumb. It's simple but I feel it describes the mood I want to convey best.

Attached Files Image(s)

Good stuff here first of all,
the bottom right is the way to go, I do like the bottom right as well because of the three point perspective and the way it evokes a powerful feeling in the character.
so i take it that the other char on the bottom right thumb would be an ancient egyptian geoffrey?

Thanks man!
It's probably going to be Tommen. I want him to look a little vulnerable and perhaps confused, while Cersei is the dominant one who's actually in control :)
Made some value/lighting thumbnails. Not sure which one I like the most, what do you guys think?

Attached Files Image(s)

First one is best if you want Cersei to be your focal point. I also like the second one for the ominous mood. You should probably move the characters more to the center in the first one.

Nice comps. I really dig that 2nd one's lighting scheme. It's not an obvious solution and definitely adds some drama, but I think all can work!