Diplocaulus Monster Painting-Critique Wanted
Hello, Daggers. 

I just finished this painting, it's acrylics on canvas panel. I kind of like this one, oddly (which probably isn't a good sign), so critique would be appreciated. I've probably messed up in a lot of areas with this one, so hopefully you guys can help me out. It would be highly appreciated. I suppose specifically I want critique on the rendering and pretty much anything else you guys think could be better. 

[Image: nhzcOyJl.jpg]

Thanks in advance!

Remember to squint and ask yourself if its clear whats going on in the image. That pink block behind the yellow guy is breaking the image. The values should sperate them as independent objects. Not to mention the positioning of the over lapping objects isnt well thought out. You want to avoid tangents of objects nearly overlapping . Either they overlap clearly or they have an appropriate distance between them. And the green guys horn is right on the corner of the pink block it appears. This also confuses the eye when you squint. You need a little more darker value of the underside of the pink block to show that its behind the creatures. Also theres no shadow under their "feet". The white strip under the green guy isnt working. There needs to be some ambient occlusion at least. Maybe do some studies to figure out how to indicate what the ground is made out of as well.

It helps to keep telling people how much you want your image to be changed for a crit for abstract pieces like these. Also keep reminding people what you're aiming for here. 

1.) My main crit is to improve your edge control - where you want it to be sharp, and where do you want it to be blurry, and most importantly, why? It must serve the purpose this image is trying to serve. 

2.) Improve your contrast, and avoid tangents.

How:
a.) Load your brush with a lot of paint and drag steadily for sharp edge.
b.) Use brush with nicer, bouncier, or softer hair. Avoid cleaning them vigorously to keep hair from splitting, thus making clean edge hard to paint.
c.) Use 2 brushes. Drag color A along the edge, then take second brush and drag along same edge on opposite side with color B.

You can research traditional painting information on Wet Canvas forum, which is quite active.

Attached Files Image(s)

Focus.
Ok, thank you very much for the feedback, I'll certainly keep what you said in mind for future paintings.