Hermidraws CRITIQUE REQUEST 01
Specific critique : Construction

What do you guys think of the construction. Has it gotten better from Day 1 to Day 18? Did I go backwards or forward? Specifically seeing if the figures are getting more readable as construction drawing. Trying to see if I am going in the right direction, to start learning more about torso anatomy, and gradually branch out.

[align=center][Image: june_from_1_to_18_by_hermidraws-da6zzt0.jpg]

▲ SKETCHBOOK  ▲ WEBSITE▲ 
it's really hard to say if you are making progress or not, because you aren't ever drawing perspective guidelines. You are just eyeballing all of your problems without having a means to check is you working is correct or not.

Laying over some perspective lines shows that you *almost* get it, but then things are warped, bendy, off balance and not quite right. You win no browny points for not using guidelines, and really you should be using them as a way to check your work against what you think is right. treat the grid like an answer sheet. You may need to get some larger paper at first so that you can do this, but eventually you'll be able to lay in guidelines without having the vanishing points on the page.

[Image: s7dtxX.jpg]

As an example here is a sketch i did recently and the perspective grid i used for it.

[Image: OXxUvE.jpg]

If you are a bit confused by this, i'd recommend reading the perspective sections in loomis's figure drawing for all it's worth.

Hope that helps!

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
Hi Hermi. What I'm about to say is based on merely eyeballing. Please take my critique with a fistful of salt.

Hard to tell if you made progress, there are good stuff on the early days, there are bad stuff on the later ones. And vice versa.

Clearly, there is a humanoid construction. But to get your proportions right by the classical human anatomy standards needs more love. For example, your knees, especially when it's getting closer to the ankles seem to need more mass. Your construction is stylized at best, and I am not sure if that's what you're aiming for.

And I wish the head was rounder (or at least has less edges to get closer to the real thing).

You can draw boxes. You can draw cylinders. I think how you're joining these forms is getting better, but be aware that it still needs work. 

Short answer: On top of everything Muzz said, I think you have to be aware of your proportions.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
@OtherMuzz
Will definitely revisit loomis again. And you're correct that I have just been eyeballing the perspective, but seeing of my current limitations of what materials I can get, probably one way I can check if perpsective is correct is scan it in, lay in the perspective grid lines on pc, and use dorian technique to check if the angles are actually correct or not on paper.

Thank You for the critique. And dang for not receiving brownie points :(!

@John
Well the end goal is definitely to have a system I can use out of my head to construct the figure without the model. The pose you picked was done from imagination, but I haven't thought of checking proportions when I am done with the figure, rather I was just checking things off of whether it feels wrong/right. Will revisit Loomis/Hampton/Bridgman to check how they each check proportions for different angles.
Did see Bridgman has something pretty cool to do that.  Thank you for the critique !

▲ SKETCHBOOK  ▲ WEBSITE▲ 
Why can't you just use a ruler and draw the perspective construction?

Another idea would be to print out some perspective guides and put it under the sheet you are drawing on, and if it's light enough you can see through the paper.

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
@OtherMuzz
Will have to check how well that would work on an A4 size paper, as for printing grid I thought about it as well, gonna have to go to the library and see what the cost for printing that is, since I do not have a printer. But will figure something out for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

▲ SKETCHBOOK  ▲ WEBSITE▲ 
@Hermidraws:  Dude, if you don't want to fit your vanishing point onto a sheet of A4, try this:

1. Draw two lines on the page as if they were converging to some vanishing point off camera.
2. Take the two ends nearest the camera and use your ruler to make a dot at the mid point between those two nearest ends.
3. Take the two ends farthest from the camera and use your ruler to make a dot at the mid point between those two farthest ends.
4. Draw a line between the two dots you've just drawn - you should now have 3 lines that converge to the same vanishing point.
5. Repeat until you have as many lines as you want.

If you want to have two vanishing points then just pick a new off camera vanishing point and repeat.

Hope that helps.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Forgot to come back to this thread, but Artloader I do not quite understand what you meant. Is there any demonstration that you could show, maybe?

And I didn't mean that I do not want to draw guide lines, rather the perspective becomes really skewed on A4, which leads to drawing the figure in small size to have a reasonable perspective guidelines to work with on A4.

▲ SKETCHBOOK  ▲ WEBSITE▲ 
What art loader is trying to say is that you can just have the vanishing points off the page, and make sure that the lines converge to the correct point.

Sketch Book
Hope this helps!

Attached Files Image(s)

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Oooh that's a good way to do it!

Sketch Book
Oh that make senses. Thanks for the clarification fellas :)

▲ SKETCHBOOK  ▲ WEBSITE▲ 
@Hermidraws:  Yeah apologies for over complicating something that wasn't that complicated.  I think Muzz and John have clarified nicely.  I will try to do a diagram of my process tonight.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook