Jackeloop's Sketchbook
Welcome to my sketchbook!

I'm going to post all my studies and stuff I've been working on here (even if I think it's bad), in order to keep a record of my progress. My schedule is pretty packed this semester, but I'm going to try to post at least once a week.
I know I have a lot to learn. My current goal is to continue working on the fundamentals.
Feedback is always appreciated :)

Alright, let's do this.
This is my second post, so hopefully I'm doing this correctly

This first sketchbook post is going to be a bunch of old stuff.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, welcome to the forums! Cool to see you're going through Loomis' stuff, I'm also brushing up on his book. Focusing on the fundamentals is a good mindset to have, stick with it!

Nick Waldinger - Thanks for stopping by! Yeah, the fundamentals aren't the most exciting for me, but they're necessary. A lot of people kept recommending Loomis, so I got a bunch of his books and just need to slowly work my way through them.

I have some more recent stuff this time around. It's still a bit all over the place, though.
I really need to work on hands and feet. I think those are the areas of the figure that I'm most scared of right now.

Some random drawings from the imagination.

An octopus I drew, then inked and colored with copic marker (some ref., mostly imagination)

Random female figures (no ref.)

A butt I drew at work (no ref.)

Chest/ upper back studies (ref.)

Loomis study (Figure Drawing for All it's Worth)

Simplified horse skeleton study (The Art of Animal Drawing - Ken Hultgren)

Thanks for looking! Feedback is appreciated :)

Hey guys! 
I haven't been on here in a while. I've been really busy with school recently. I haven't stopped drawing though. I recently completed Lesson 2 on Drawabox (Check it out, if you haven't. It's really good :D ) and enrolled in a Drawing for Digital Media course at my school (I'm really enjoying it).
I have a lot of pages piled up and some of them still need to be scanned and such, so I think the next couple posts are going to be a series of small "sketch dumps". Spring break is next week and I'm hoping to draw a lot more over the break.

This post is mainly going to be exercises I've been doing in class. 

Spoon gesture drawings (Ctrl-Paint exercise)

Planes/ ghosting lines exercise

Funnels/ ellipse exercise

2-point perspective exercise (with ruler)

1-point perspective exercise (freehand)

rotated boxes exercise

Some more recent stuff. I'm trying to form a habit of drawing at least 1 hour a day. I even bought a calendar and a giant red marker to X off the days lol. So far, I'm up to 4 days without breaking my streak.

~60 second gesture exercises (mix of people and insects)
I'm trying to make gesture drawing part of my routine.

A doodle I did recently (no ref.) Random deer-women & mermaid

Hands and feet exercises (~10 minutes each)
I'm not good at drawing hands or feet, so I'm trying to tackle that. I'm also not very good at drawing on a tablet yet. 
Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I guess?

A couple doodles I did in class recently (no ref.)

Thanks for looking! CC always welcome :)

Nice updates dude, yeah keep studying those fundamentals(especially the cube) it'll help out so much in the long run.
Also really like these doodles you're posting, deer lady is cool.

Hey guys! 

I've been super busy with school the last couple months, so I haven't really had a chance to post anything in a while. School is finally out for the summer, though, so I'm hoping to start posting at least 2 times per week. I finally have time to practice drawing every day and I'm pretty excited about it. 

I have some things to post from my drawing class and other exercises I've been doing, but I haven't cleaned up the files yet. I'm making that my goal for Sunday.

In the mean time, here is a sketch dump of drawings from my doodle book. Even if I didn't have time to do any real drawing studies, I'd doodle whenever possible (usually in classes with long lectures)  and try to recall some of the things I'd learned from art lessons and tutorials. 

I didn't use references for 95% of these. I used one for the drawing of Korean beauty guru, Pony (bottom left, the girl with the cap).

I liked this doodle the most, so I separated it from the rest.

Thanks for looking!

Trying to stick to my plan of posting frequently.

Here's some form drawing exercises. I'm still not super great at drawing with tablets.

some more boxes in space

"testing the mind's eye" exercises (bottom 3: extreme angles)

Thanks for looking! CC always welcome

Some more recent drawings

This one I spent more time than usual on. I liked how the faces in the middle and to the left turned out.

Thanks for looking! CC always welcome

more studies

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi there Jackeloop, nice work in here :).

Keep going with those form studies, maybe bring them more into your figure work as well - try to get more used to identifying shadow patterns, it might even help for you to sketch in the "bed bug line" on your figures - this is the terminator line that separates light and shadow. When I do this I find that it is a very quick way of describing form without too much work. You can then fill in the shadow pattern in a more graduated way later on.

Hope that helps - keep it going though!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Thanks for the tip, Artloader! I really should incorporate shading into my sketches.

I've been slowly working my way through the Drawabox lesson 3 exercises.
leaf exercise

4 drawings of plants (construction lines only, no detail):
pitcher plant

aloe plant

lemon

hibiscus flower

random sketch break

I'm still garbage at hands, so I'm probably going to do the 100 challenge for those.

Thanks for looking! CC welcome

Took advantage of the Schoolism spring sale and enrolled in the self-taught class for Intro to Digital Painting with Andrew Hou.
The first assignment was to just sorta block out a shape with no goal in mind and then refine it with each layer until you end up with a cool sketch of something. My blob had a feline/canine looking shape, so I ended up with this strange electric lion, badger thing. 

Honestly surprised it turned out as well as it did. I'll probably refine it more later.

I've been focusing more on figure drawing lately. Trying to work on my weak areas. Sorry for the massive update, but I haven't had a chance to scan things in for awhile.
I have a 5 day streak going of drawing everyday, so I'm pretty proud of myself. 

Loomis hand studies

Proko Robobean exercises (first page: before watching demos; second page: following along)

Proko landmark studies (following along with demo videos)

More robobeans (first page: following demo videos; second page: applying what I learned)

30 minute gesture practice (30sec, 1min, 5min, and 10min poses)
I'm especially bad at the shorter poses. 

Proko mannequinization exercises (first page: before demo videos; second page: following demos)

Another 30 minutes of gesture from yesterday (30sec, 1min, 5min, and 10min poses)

30 minutes of gesture from today (30sec, 1min, 5min, and 10min poses)

I didn't have a lot of time today, but I didn't want to break my drawing streak, so I just did some timed gesture sketches (1, 2, 5, 10, and 15min). I think I like doing gesture in ballpoint the most so far.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey again. Trying to post more regularly.

Some sketches from imagination. Pretty proud of that face in the top middle

3 faces from imagination (top). I really want to be able to draw faces from imagination at various angles.
3 trying to draw from reference (bottom). I think the one on the left turned out pretty okay. 

2 minute gesture sketches

Quick warrior woman sketch before bed. No reference; just trying to apply what I'm learning about anatomy from the Proko lessons. I think her head might be too small? I was trying to draw a 3/4 face angled slightly upward. 
I plan to continue working on it (yes, she will eventually have clothes haha) and digitally paint it.
Feedback is always welcome and much appreciated :)

Nice updates, warrior women is looking great, a bit stiff gesturaly but considering you didn't use ref it's really good.

Hey !! Something that helped me understand objects is to think of the paper as if it were a window, try fit all the things you see inside the paper so you begin to understand the true proportion of an object with respect to the other. ^^

Attached Files Image(s)

'The best way to have a good ideas is to have a lot of ideas ' Linus Paulingth
Hey, I'm back again. Here's some stuff I've been doing while I've been away.

Mermaid face concept sketches

Succubus doodle

Drawing heads from pinterest

Weird stuff

Nose & eye studies

More sketches. Her neck is totally broken, but I don't think the gesture is too bad

Another mermaid

More sketches

Hands

And clothing gesture sketches (2min & 5min)