Art Loading 2017 - Part 1
Art Loading 2017 - Part 1

Time to put one foot in front of the other and set off on the journey again!

Here are my latest set of art goals for the first 3 months of 2017:
  1. Workflow: Develop a slick illustration workflow. Metric: Refine my workflow each time I complete an illustration.
  2. Project JKF-1: Complete illustrations for 3 of JKF's short stories. Metric: 3 colour illustrations and 3 grayscale illustrations completed.
  3. Environments: Complete Amit's EDR course and do 3 environment studies (each study will have 1 set of notes with 10 practice paintings). Metric: EDR course completed with all assignments posted to the EDR thread and 3 environment studies completed.
  4. Human Figures: Do 3 human figure studies (each study will have 1 set of notes with 10 practice paintings). Metric: 3 human figures studies completed.
  5. Project ADC-1: Complete comic book script for page 1 of my personal project. Metric: comic book script for page 1 completed and thumbnail sketch for page 1 completed.
End Date: Friday 31st March 2017

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Very concise my friend, very concise. Get after it!

This sound exciting! Best of luck to you. :) Can't wait for the summary.

Art Loading 2017 - Part 1 - January

Well I'm off to a slow start here, most of my effort has gone into studies and learning 3D for Project JKF-1 with not a lot to show for it.  Although slightly demoralised with lack of progress, I've still had fun and have learned some cool stuff.  I'll carry on putting one foot in front of the other I guess :).

1. Workflow: Develop a slick illustration workflow. Metric: Refine my workflow each time I complete an illustration.  Progress: First version of the workflow documented.
  2. Project JKF-1: Complete illustrations for 3 of JKF's short stories. Metric: 3 colour illustrations and 3 grayscale illustrations completed.  Progress: 0 colour illustrations and 0 grayscale illustrations.
  3. Environments: Complete Amit's EDR course and do 3 environment studies (each study will have 1 set of notes with 10 practice paintings). Metric: EDR course completed with all assignments posted to the EDR thread and 3 environment studies completed.  Progress: 10% of the way through EDR. 0 environment studies completed.
  4. Human Figures: Do 3 human figure studies (each study will have 1 set of notes with 10 practice paintings). Metric: 3 human figures studies completed.  Progress: 0 human figures studies completed.
  5. Project ADC-1: Complete comic book script for page 1 of my personal project. Metric: comic book script for page 1 completed and thumbnail sketch for page 1 completed.  Progress: None.
End Date: Friday 31st March 2017

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Best of luck with this! Will you be doing the studies in a sketchbook here on CD?

"If you want liberation in this life, there is no area that you do not watch. Watch the breathing, watch the posture, watch the flow of energy, watch the texture of the mind, watch the response to objects." - Namgyal Rinpoche
Thanks aks9 :). Yep I will be posting this stuff in my sketchbook, although progress is slow at the moment. Just taking it one step at a time.

CD Sketchbook

Art Loading 2017 - Part 1 - February

I started off slowly and got even slower! 

I think that means that I've either over-estimated how much time I have or under-estimated how much effort these tasks will take. 

I reckon I've over-estimated how much time I have - realistically I have 1 hour a night so over a whole month that's around 30 hours which is nearly a full time working week.

So basically, in my current situation, I think it will take me a month to do what I would get done in a week if I were a full time artist.

I have been really enjoying my art journey just recently and I still want to carry on doing that whilst still remaining focussed on my main art goals, so I am going to cut myself some slack by extending the deadline for these goals by another 3 months.

1. Workflow: Develop a slick illustration workflow. Metric: Refine my workflow each time I complete an illustration.  Progress: Learned a few more 3D techniques to include in my process.
  2. Project JKF-1: Complete illustrations for 3 of JKF's short stories. Metric: 3 colour illustrations and 3 grayscale illustrations completed.  Progress: 0 colour illustrations and 0 grayscale illustrations.  Chosen a composition for my first book cover, working on some 3D models to use as lighting refs.
  3. Environments: Complete Amit's EDR course and do 3 environment studies (each study will have 1 set of notes with 10 practice paintings). Metric: EDR course completed with all assignments posted to the EDR thread and 3 environment studies completed.  Progress: 10% of the way through EDR. 0 environment studies completed.
  4. Human Figures: Do 3 human figure studies (each study will have 1 set of notes with 10 practice paintings). Metric: 3 human figures studies completed.  Progress: 0 human figures studies completed.
  5. Project ADC-1: Complete comic book script for page 1 of my personal project. Metric: comic book script for page 1 completed and thumbnail sketch for page 1 completed.  Progress: None.
End Date: Friday 30th June 2017

CD Sketchbook

I really admire your determination and consitency :).

I was wondering, as I do see various projects, I always struggle with that I need to learn anatomy, I want to do this project, I need to practice my workfolow and this, this and this. Which is not possible in the time I have.

I was wondering how you deal with that?

Thanks Eyliana :).

Yeah not having enough time is a constant challenge for me - I think one of the big breakthroughs for me was when I read Mastery by George Leonard - it helped me to focus on enjoying the moment when I am doing art - just doing art for it's own sake and not beating myself up with how far I still have left to travel on the journey or how slowly I am walking.

These goals are supposed to just gently guide me along my chosen path.  If I ever feel like they're becoming a stick with which I beat myself - then I tweak them to be more realistic based upon my current rate of progress.

Hope that helps Eyliana - good luck with your own journey :).

CD Sketchbook